Skip to main content

🧐 A Peek at Our Week 📚1/20/19 - Reviews and Recommendations

💖 OUR WEEK IN REVIEWS 💖
📚1/20/19📚

🌌 Defiled by Aria Adams
💕 Hearts Divine by Catherine Wiltcher
🧙‍♀️ Toil & Trouble by Nikki Landis
🐾 The Beast's Beauty by R. Phoenix
🔗 Sold by Loki Renard
📜 Under His Heel by Adara Wolf

GOODREADS  AMAZON   BOOKBUB


Defiled (Unbreakable Book 2)Defiled by Aria Adams
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is book two in the series - It can be read as a standalone but WHY would you want to?
(IMO) The scenes have more weight to them if you have read the first in series and acquired a bit of background - also I felt it increased the darker aspects to the secondary characters making for a greater emotional connection for me
Talk about messing with someone's mind - my heart broke for Sage - What they did and tried to do to her - Even I had trouble at times differentiating between what was real and what was VR and the prejudices and resulting behaviors (by both sides) 😡!
Algers - not sure if I like him or not 😕 I think he could have been a bit more patient? understanding? Not sure if he redeemed himself in the end
I do want the next in series NOW! This is a deliciously addicting sci-fi series
This does contain dark and dubious subject matter
Amazon 

Hearts Divine (The Santiago Trilogy Book 2)Hearts Divine by Catherine Wiltcher
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Stop 🛑 This is the second book in a trilogy it is not a standalone
I was not really sure about Eve in book one but wow does she redeem herself in book two. After choosing to walk away from Dante shes find herself reconsidering all the whys? and even a couple of the whos that led her to that decision.
Dante is still an arse possibly even more so events occur that could push Dante into the abyss forever birthing a monster who takes no prisoners - lacks the ability to reason and blinding the man within to the pain he is inflicting on those closest to him
Some of the secondary characters move forward in book two becoming intricate parts of the storyline, we are also introduced to some antagonist that almost rival Dante's darkness
Hearts Divine spent a bit more time filling in the missing pieces to Dante's past - there are a couple scenes were we are flashed back to Dante's childhood and WOW I think I would be a heartless monster as well
It also uncovers some secrets that will have you going back to book one and seeing if you somehow missed the clues - I was seriously surprised at the sharp turn the storyline took
This ends on a bit of a cliffy - let us be honest now that is how a trilogy works
Amazon


Toil & Trouble (Mystic Hallows Harem)Toil & Trouble by Nikki Landis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

🧛Vampires and Werewolves🐺 and Ghouls🧟🏽
"Oh My"
Okay, I am a bit jealous here - Cassie may be getting her arse handed to her every time she turns around but the men who are there to care for her in the aftermath - I think I would face a horde of soul suckers for just a moment with them! I think I have a crush on a certain Vamp
🧙‍♀️ Cassie was still at a bit of a loss as to the who and whys when we last spent time with her - in Toil and Trouble she meets the Who and she gets a bit of the Why and it might just cost her her soul
As for our mystery man from book one - oh just you wait and see!!! - No, I am not telling!
Toil & Trouble introduce some new plot twists and an antagonist or two who throws some serious twists in the plot line One of them has me asking WTH? and needing more answers which we get a taste of but not enough to satisfy
I think this book should have been just a touch longer - we get some pretty tough scenes and shifts in the plot line that IMO needed a touch more background and/or detail
This ends on a cliffy!!!
Amazon 


The Beast's BeautyThe Beast's Beauty by R. Phoenix
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Uh - No! You seriously can not leave me hanging like that!
And why? Not telling you have to read it!
Toby, IMO is a bit weak emotionally - I think this may be one of the reasons he was targeted - After approaching his current situation with various responses he is now weighing his options a bit more realistically? Trying to make decisions the will result in an outcome with the least humiliation while still allowing him to keep some sense of Ryder- But as he states it is a bit like SAW - damned if you do and damned if you don't. One of his last attempts at freedom gave him a glimpse at the true monster Griffin keeps buried inside - That small glimpse even worried me -somehow I think his hesitation and fear of what could be are well founded
I found this a very emotional read - Griffin is broken in a way that I can not see him finding his way back -  to have all that adoration and power that came with being a star ripped from him and worse it was as a secondary result of him selfishly sacrificing himself to save another - I believe that would definitely put a crack in even the strongest of human psyches - does not mean I in anyway agree with how he chose to acquire an emotional support pet
I really want to know who knocked!! And I want book two now because I have to know where this goes
I would recommend for any lover of true angsty MM romance very heavy on pet play and Stockholm syndrome
Smashwords 


SoldSold by Loki Renard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I did not want to close the pages on Trissa and her world
Sold takes its reader on an emotional journey that is both delightful and entertaining - So many of the RH books are the same "got ya" "men beating chest" "woman capitulates" "yadda yadda" - just different names and altered scenes - That was not the case here not even close!
I truly wish this was a bit longer read (yes that is me being greedy) there were so many possibilities within this story as well as back story lines. Exceptional characters that I wanted more of it - I loved Trissa, for the most part, (there were a couple times I wanted to spank her arse )she was funny - a touch feral and quite wily - heavens did she bring it - she was strong-willed and at no time did she truly capitulate she took time to process the events and choose the correct response - she was honest with herself
The men were an enticing and fervent buffet of personage - Again this is an area I truly wish we had gotten more of. We do get to spend a little time with each character and we touch briefly on who they are - Trissa's nicknames helped greatly in attaching personalities and physical descriptions - I just wished we had gotten a bit more backstory
Overall a wonderfully engaging post-apocalyptic read - This does contain scenes that are dub con - as well as some domestic discipline - this is a dark romance after all
Amazon


Under His Heel (Under His Heel, #1)Under His Heel by Adara Wolf
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Capt. Tracht is an introverted sadistic b@st@rd who is looking for a new toy -his last one enjoyed the pain and humiliation a bit too much- where is the fun in that?
Alex has always been there for his brother - he has protected him, took the blame for him and this time is no different - he will pay his brother's debt with his life - he will become nothing but possession - it is only five years - he knows he can do this
This takes you into some of the darker aspects of kink play and definitely tested my boundaries - I think this also falls a bit into the Stockholm syndrome category as Alex is groomed slowly by Tracht
I was a bit torn on rating this one - The characters were five star - there was depth and reason behind most of their actions - I didn't like any of them but I do not think I was supposed to - I did feel Alex was short-changed with regards to his emotional level and his intelligence - There was no explanation as to why he would be that way.
I do have a lot of questions about Tracht though! How did he become such a black void of emotions? What happened with his previous toy? His previous romantic interest?
I really enjoyed this and am looking forward to more
This is a "detailed" read when it comes to the various forms of BDSM and kink play - not for those who are squeamish
Amazon

View all my reviews

#AriaAdams #CatherineWiltcher #NikkiLandis #RPhoenix #LokiRenard #AdaraWolf
#SciFiRomance #DarkRomance #ReverseHarem #Paranormal #MMRomance #PetPlay #BDSM #Mafia #PostApocalyptic #BookReview #KindleUnlimited #Stockholm

Comments