Skip to main content

🧐 A Peek at Our Week 📚 Reviews and Recommendations



💖 OUR PICKS FOR THE WEEK 💖
📚 04/28/2018 📚
👽 Legion by Regine Abel
💝 Conceited by T.L. Smith
🗡️ The Savior by J.R. Ward
♘ No White Knight by Angel Payne
🔮 Sin & Chocolate by K.F. Breene
🎹 Sin & Discipline by Lily White



Legion (Xian Warriors, #1)Legion by Regine Abel

I recently received an ARC for book two in this series when I started reading I realized that the world building was unique and too get the full impact maybe I should check out book one so I did - I owned it 😮

I'm so glad I began with Legion.
This was such a wonderfully crafted and detailed first in series. It flowed almost seamlessly keeping me fully engaged while still providing me all the background and tidbits that are needed to build the foundation for the series.
The cast! Wow! They had such depth. The men were not pounding on their chest dragging their women and the women were not swooning and in constant need of rescuing. I know speechless.
The female characters were so diverse, each was intelligent and respected. Some presented with a very strong presence while others brought a lighter touch to the personality pool. The fact they all lived in close quarters at times a little overbearing for them but they made it work. I am looking forward to their stories.
The story has a lot to it. There are technical terms a bit of history and various species to learn. Don't fret though, if you start here all the pieces easily fall into place.
Lots of action and suspense, a bit of deception and a whole lot of "hell yeah".

Oh and Ayana and Legion? Absolutely Stellar romance !!
Amazon 


Conceited  (Crimson Elite, #3)Conceited by T.L. Smith

I don't give out that many five star ratings but when I find myself so lost in a story that I laugh out loud with the characters or catch myself arching a brow at their antics - that for me is a perfect read.
The cast from Crimson Elite is so vivid, as a reader, it is easy to connect with them on a deeper level, the kind where they stay with you long after you close the pages

"I was once scared like you. Funny thing, that is. "

I loved them! Falcon and Raven might be my favorite couple!
The two of them together were explosive.
Raven had me in stitches! She is witty, smart and definitely held her own when it comes to Falcon. I was dying each time our girl knocked him back a peg.
Falcon was the most arrogant, self-centered, head over heels in love, alpha arse. I almost felt a teeny bit sorry for him towards the end.
There is past history between these two and it is was as much of a mess then as their current predicament is now

From the moment you enter the pages of Conceited, you will find yourself captured - be prepared for lots of twists and a few surprises and a touch of angst
( Oh and "D" just a word for you - Karma )

I don't know if this is listed as a standalone, I'm sure it could be read that way -
It is easy to follow but IMO you should read the first two books. It gives you more background regarding the supporting characters and their roles and also allows for a stronger emotional connection and immersion into the story.
Amazon  Kobo  Nook


The Savior (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #17)The Savior by J.R. Ward

After the arrival of multiple letters and the driving need to put his affairs in order (this breaks my heart) Murhder decides he needs assistance to complete a final task. He turns to the only people he knows that can help - the Brotherhood - His past.
Finally, we get Murhder's side of the events. Where he really was and what led him to massacre those humans in the brutal way he did. And the truth? What he suffered? What he gave up to protect the ones he loved? And wait till you find out who else knew the truth. I think he may be one of my favorite characters. He just calls to me. My heart broke for all the chit he has been through and his past with?? (that would be a spoiler).
With reluctance, the Brotherhood agrees to assist him.
Enter Sarah. Sarah is a spunky woman. She has that whole scientific mind thing going (you know squirrel syndrome? ) but she has a heart of gold! I think she will be a great addition to the family.
This 'mission' uncovers so many secrets and leads to the truth about the past. Once the Brotherhood realizes what really happened Thor approaches him and extends an olive branch that would give Murhder a chance at having the life he always wanted. (trying not to give spoilers) I will say this though, had that been me I would have told you to take your peace offering at shove it where the sun shines!!
I understand why he didn't but ugh that pissed me off something fierce.
As always there are also a few secondary story lines running at the same time. John and Xhex are having a bit of trouble with their relationship, though I think it was more John dealing with his own feelings of inadequacy. Always being kept on the fringes of the brotherhood, not feeling as though he is a part of the whole. On top of that, he has somehow gotten himself in a bit of trouble that there may not be a solution to.

I know I talked a few books back about the new direction the Brotherhood was going in. I think with regards to that this was another well-crafted introduction to their new era. But! And I was a bit shocked here - what was up with the errors? There were a few editing problems that pulled me from the story 😟 enough for me to take notice.

Am I the only one that thought Darius might make an appearance? The whole reboot thing?

Oh, and Lassiter is, well Lassiter, if he were truly deity I could worship him- He has mad people skills (ie.. Nate and his mayhem) and is always plotting at something. Going to agree with Sarah though he needs new pants 🤣

I did have all kinds of questions as this came to a close. IMO there were a few scenes that felt a bit rushed (the book, the lab, the evil doctor, the female in the stilettos, the well ) or seemed to be missing important details. The Why? Or The How?
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google


No White Knight (Secrets of Stone #8)No White Knight by Angel Payne

"So...checkmate "
I wavered between a four and five-star rating with this - I decided on five Though this is the first in their duet I believe had I read the previous books in this collection Mac and Taylor's story would have made an even greater emotional impact (if that is even possible)

This went beyond your ordinary enemies to lovers. I was captured from the beginning. Their dynamics together were off the chart right from the opening.
No White Knight brought forth such a roller coaster of emotions from me when it came time to close the final page on this part of their journey I was left me feeling a bit haunted.

"But if you put me down, King Kong, you can really give that chest a good beating. "
Mac- one of the most romantic and sexy lead characters I have had the pleasure of hating, salivating after, and loving all in one chapter.

"You're so tiny but so mighty. A warrior. "
Taylor - so full of life yet so broken.

Mac has spent his life being the top dog - He bends for no one (but mommy dearest) - He feels for no one - The world is his playground so why play with the same toy twice?
Taylor is the fixer. That friend that is always smiling and will protect you with her life. The best of the BFF's. She is also the one with the highest walls, the most heartbreak and the hidden closet full of pain.
Watching these two navigate the land mines around their 'relationship' was beyond entertaining. Taylor uses snark and Mac uses arrogance - together they are explosive!

I can honestly say this is a must read romance.
It checks all those boxes - friends to lovers, snark, steamy, angst, comedy, loss, five-star supporting cast, and did I mention swoon-worthy romance?
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google


Sin & Chocolate (Demigods of San Francisco #1)Sin & Chocolate by K.F. Breene

🌟🌟Five magical stars🌟🌟🌟

Stellar cast
Lexie- Strong spunky as heck heroine who has no problem manipulating a situation to acquire her desired outcome. With a heart five sizes too big that will stand (even if she is quaking in her boots) against anyone or anything that threatens her makeshift family.
Mordecai and Daisy - Lexie's wards (though at times who is caring for who is questionable) The two bring a great level of depth to the story line - they are the reason Lexie is fighting so hard, why she lives as she does, they are also the reason my side was in stitches half the time . Mordecai is the intelligent voice of reason and Daisy is the hot-headed human who lacks a brain to mouth filter. These two play so well against one another.
Kieran- An anti-hero that definitely got my hackles up. A demigod and the son of the cities current ruler. A bit sadistic, a touch overbearing and egotistical but I think he might be trainable - though again I could be wrong
A few spectral visitors that are beyond amusing and the Six

Outstanding world 🌎building
An enigmatic story line that takes place in a magical/human world. This is the opening in the series and introduces the main plot line along with a few secondary ones- all of which piqued my curiosity.
I enjoyed the blend of mythology and paranormal in the story line. The cast is quite endearing and easy to connect with.
All around a spectacular read that will engage and entertain
Amazon 


Sin & DisciplineSin & Discipline by Lily White

I almost passed this up - not only was White new to me as an author but student/ teacher is not one of my favorite genres. Something about the blurb caught my eye and I am so glad I took the chance.

I read this in one sitting- the writing was superb- engaging and captivating. The storyline flowed flawlessly carrying the reader easily through Amelia and Lennon's journey. And the cast, you couldn't help but love or loathe them.
Angst, deception, love it was all there in spades

"A lonely soul screaming at the sky, a whisper responding with the promise that the heart will heal"

Amelia has a gift - when she places her fingers on a piano it isn't music she creates but true emotions - her soul speaks with every note she plays
Fighting to survive each day while chasing her dream is wearing on her.
Julia, her teacher, provides her with an opportunity to make her dreams a reality. It won't be easy and it will take all her discipline to succeed

"Sometimes you don't need to know the cause of what decimates another person to understand it, to taste it"

Lennon lets his darkness, his pain bleed into his music. It has made him the prodigy he is today - only his darkness goes deeper than his music- it rules his world - and it is about to rule Amelia's as well

"If I had the choice of loving both his sides, light and dark, or never knowing him at all, I would happily brave the shadows if it was his music I was following"

Two souls connected by their music
Two hearts battered and lost
One chance to grab the brass ring
One chance for redemption
One emotionally captivating love story
Amazon

#Legion #Conceited #TheSavior #NoWhiteKnight
#SinandChocolate #SinandDiscipline

#RegineAbel #TLSmith #JRWard #AngelPayne
#KFBreene #LilyWhite

#billionaire #romance #contemporary #paranormal
#ghost #fantasy #psychic #newadult #taboo
#studentteacher #BDB #vampire #suspense #action
#scifi #geneticengineering

#kindleunlimited #bookreview #recommendation #TBR
#bookstagram #lovetoread #bookblog

Comments