Skip to main content

🧐 A Peek at Our Week 📚 Reviews 05/05/2018

💖 OUR PICKS FOR THE WEEK 💖
📚 05/05/2018 📚
🛹 Skater Boy by Mary Catherine Gebhard
⌛ Insatiable Corruption by Myra Danvers
🌱 Lotus Effect by Trisha Wolfe
🌩️ Caught in the Storm by Rachael Brownell
🍎 Pretty Reckless by L.J. Shen
🤫 Nocturnes & Nightmares by Keri Lake
GOODREADS  AMAZON   BOOKBUB




Skater Boy  (Patchwork House #1)Skater Boy by Mary Catherine Gebhard

Patchwork House where the Rebel Gods of Heaven Falls reside

The residents at Patchwork are a blend of society's forgotten or unwanted - either by choice or circumstance. Patchwork house is a safe haven for them but considered a blight on and by the community - a den of deviants. (they could not be more wrong)

This little crew of deviants had my heart right from the start. They were all so vivid and the contrasting personalities just made the story. I am looking forward to the next episode. Gebhard did a beautiful job of setting up this series.

This is Flip and Tweety's story - full of loss, laughter, angst, misguided sacrifice and love.

This is the first in the Patchwork House series. It is a New Adult romance that follows the lives of the four Rebel Gods.
The story line ping pongs from current to past events and is told from dual perspectives. Overall this is a very emotional and heartbreaking read that guarantees to endear the reader to the cast - I felt every heartbreak, every fear, and each victory.

I had a few negatives that impacted the story for me. I found various inconsistencies in the story. The ages of the characters during certain events. And this quite possibly may just be me being greedy but I would have liked a bit more meat (background) pertaining to certain scenes and characters.
Amazon


Insatiable Corruption (The Last Tritan #2)Insatiable Corruption by Myra Danvers

I went with Five Burning Ki - because I really could not put this down once I started!
You know those rare stories that grab you from the opening scene - That hold you bound and breathless right to the end- Only to suddenly abandon you gasping and needing?
This is one of those!

STOP- This is the second book in this series. This series needs to be read in order for the context to make sense.

"Sorry, I cannot paint the walls with your blood and feast on your ki. Sorry I cannot wear your innards as a string of bike soaked pearls, and winter inside your bloated corpse." - Wildcat

This picks up pretty much where we left off in book one. Mila has matured to a degree but sadly the consequences of her choices in book one have left her with a much deeper and more 'survivalist' attitude than a rational one. I was quite sad to see what the years had done to her, but also understood. When the war began she had just begun to see the truth, she truly was still an innocent. IMO driven by loss and the deep fear of what would happen if the Captain captured her connecting with 'mother' was the easier choice for her psyche. She still tends to act before thinking.

I was on edge throughout this episode. My heart broke for Mila. The loneliness and later the utter hopelessness she endured. Even when she was no longer sure of who she could call enemy and who she could call an ally. Even I am unsure of who is working for whom and even who is what.

I worry for Kas

The General needs his head separated from his governing body.

As for our fine captain I still utterly and completely loathe that man!!

I wish this had been longer. The intensity of each new twist and unknown kept me on edge through the entire story.
Seriously, I read this in one sitting, white knuckling my kindle the whole time.
This ends on a cliffhanger - a -What just happened? What are the consequences? Why the heck did that happen?
Sorry I don't want to give spoilers as I firmly believe in the little things can ruin a really good 'OMG No" moment
If perchance you haven't started this series it truly is a must read for those who enjoy fantasy/sci-fi. It does begin a bit complex with regards to the characters and universe but once you are in you will want to stay.
Amazon


Lotus EffectLotus Effect by Trisha Wolfe

When I need a read that will take me deep into the dark, twisted depths of the human psyche - Wolfe is one of my go-to authors.

In Lotus Effect we travel with the writer, FBI cold case profiler and survivor Lakin Hale as she assists Agent Nolan in unraveling their newest cold case.
For Lakin, this one hits a bit close to home. Dredging up memories from her own experience and inducing daymares that may or may not be repressed memories. Who was her mysterious savior? Was there a mysterious savior? What happened during those moments of her death?

I want to be careful not to give out any subtle clue that will ruin the plot or one of the many twists you don't see coming. So let me just stick with the facts, you can embellish upon them when you begin your own journey among the Blooming Lotus.

The story line jumps back and forth - Lakin takes us back to the past to recall how she 'believes' the events took place.
Then we are back in the present and walking the possible path our victim or perpetrator took. This works! It can be complicated at times but It definitely works for this story. IMO it heightens the intensity of some of the scenes and draws the reader in just a bit more - until we no longer feel like an observer but a participant.
Amazon   Google


Caught in the Storm (The Storm Series Book 1)Caught in the Storm by Rachael Brownell

So many secrets!

Guaranteed to get your blood pumping and your heart racing!
I have so many questions - All the secrets and innuendos are what drew me in - And the blatant darkness that is Jonathon.

Amelia is a go-getter but a bit naive - I felt her character sort of devolved as the storyline progressed. Though I will admit Jonathon is quite skilled in the art of manipulation.
Again I have so many questions!
We are given brief glimpses at possible scenarios but never given the whole picture. I have all kinds of "could be " plots but nothing substantial enough to go in any one direction.
And wait till you meet all the cast - again I am not sure who is doing what and why - I have picked out the ones that I loathe and am still a bit on the fence over who my hero is
If you enjoy a good thriller that truly engages the art of deception this is it.
This ends on a serious cliff hanger- so be prepared - it is quite the drop.

I was drawn in from the beginning. I can not honestly point out which scene enchanted me but I truly could not part from the story - EXCEPT - and this is the reason for the loss of stars - editing - it was as though for a third of the book there was a minimum of two per chapter. They were enough to pull from the story. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I almost stopped reading - but the story had me
I needed to know - sigh - and I still do 😭
Looking for the next in series
Amazon 


Pretty Reckless (All Saints High, #1)Pretty Reckless by L.J. Shen

🍎 Talk?

This is the second generation from ASH, and dang if they aren't as much of a handful as their predecessors were. This is the first in series for the Totholes (children of the Hotholes).
Shen did a remarkable job of bringing this story to life. From the first moment the Green-eyed hulk reared his ugly head to the last Apple passed between to opposing teams - I was hooked. I don't want to give anything away, there are so many 'OMG' moments and small revelations that together make this an emotional and heartwarming story. Watch your step and hold your judgment - Everything you thought you knew - It was all lies
If you loved the original bad boys of All Saints High then you are going to love 💘 the next generation

"Kismet. Kiss-met. Fate."
Daria is the 'mean girl' - She rules her kingdom with a twisted sense of retribution - Her actions are not outright mean she just has no intentions of letting ANYONE best her. It is not always the green-eyed monster that drives her decisions sometimes it is just to remind someone where their place is in the hierarchy.

"Love is humbling."
Penn is from the other side of the tracks. He had a heart once - until the day a Kismet of fate, one selfless act cost him everything. He is empty now. Only a Tin shell of who he used to be. But Fate can be a fickle mistress and not all he knows are truths.
Amazon


Nocturnes & Nightmares (The Sandman Duet, #1)Nocturnes & Nightmares by Keri Lake

I want my own Voss!!
Nocturnes and Nightmares had me thinking I was bipolar
One moment I was laughing so hard my sides hurt ( for the sake of pillows everywhere!) And the next I was cringing and white knuckling my kindle (I will never view latex the same) wanting to turn away yet knowing I couldn't.
I can always count on Lake to get my heart rate up and my emotions on edge. This was everything a good thriller should be.

Nola had me in stitches. She has had such a shit life and still, she can wake up and see the beauty in the sunrise or the humor in a serious "duh I royally screwed up moment".

Oli knows a lot more than he is saying. I can't blame the little guy though. I am kind of torn between hugging him and granting him a timeout. When and if he decides to speak of that night I think it is going to bring readers to their knees. Though I could be way off, honestly at this point I am jumping at shadows.

Voss, I don't care what anyone says he is the perfect book boyfriend! Dark, sexy, deadly, sadistic -and yet - he has that twinkle in his eyes that would dampen any cotton panel 🥰 - (reminder I called dibs)

This drew me in right from the opening scene. Lake easily kept me guessing throughout the story line - tossing little crumbs out occasionally that I greedily gobbled up only to find I had been misdirected.

This is the first in a duet so don't get your hackles up when you find yourself at the end and still trapped in the dark
Amazon  

#SkaterBoy #InsatiableCorruption #LotusEffect
#CaughtintheStorm #PrettyReckless #NocturnesNightmares

#MaryCatherineGebhard #MyraDanvers #RachaelBrownell
#TrishaWolfe #LJShen #KeriLake

#womensdetective #psychological #fiction #thriller
#darkfantasy #horror #youngadult #sportsromance
#romanticsuspense #mystery #suspense #newadult
#bullyromance #scifi #newrelease #kindleunlimited

#bookreview #bookrecommendation #bookstagram #bookcover

Comments