Skip to main content

🧐 OUR WEEK IN REVIEWS 📚 Reviews and Recommendations


💖 OUR PICKS FOR THE WEEK 💖

📚 06/30/2019 📚 

🎶 Exquisitely Broken by M. Jay Granberry

⚔️  Delinquent by Ally Vance

⚖️ Onyx by Nikki Landis

🐺 Sweet Nothings by Macy Blake

🍪 Cookie Wars by Liz Gavin

😈 Devil's Bargain by Natasha Knight

Exquisitely BrokenExquisitely Broken by M. Jay Granberry

An exquisite second chance romance.

"The opposite of love is not hate. Love and hate take the same kind of time. The same devotion. It's not over until the indifference kicks in."

Sin once loved him with everything she had. Her heart and soul was his. She even remade parts of herself to appease his needs. What did she get in return?
Betrayal, heartache and the means to make her a star.
Left broken and lost she funneled her pain into her music.
Each note the reflections of a tear.
Each stanza a broken piece of her once beating heart.

"I won't let her down, not in this. Before, I lost my way and steered us both into shark-infested waters, and we're still in survival mode. " - Jake
Jake let his jealousy and his possessive nature color his thoughts. In an unforgivable act of betrayal, he destroyed the one real thing in his world. Sinclair. Now he has been given a second chance.
Can Jake atone for his past?
Can Sin see beyond the betrayal?

This is Granberry's debut novel.
I want to start out with how much I loved the cast. The easy way they interacted with each other. The way their emotions were raw and uncensored just ... absolutely intense. (And Mom - hope you choke on the lack of oxygen up there.)
I hope we get more from these characters.
The story was easy to follow and easier to believe. We are presented with dual POV's which makes the 'time jumps' from past to present meld perfectly together giving the reader the perfect dose of angst, blended with some light suspense topped with a whole lot of groveling. And let us not forget how nuclear Sin and Luke are together.
There were a couple of scenes that I felt a bit "Huh?" after reading. I felt that certain people, as well as a few situations, needed a bit more. More detail or closure. They were introduced into the story as possible 'problems' (IMO) but then they seemed to be forgotten.
The kid? The parents? The Hotel fixer?
I did read an early comp copy so these issues may have been resolved.
Overall a wonderful first in what I am hoping will be a series.
Amazon    Nook


DelinquentDelinquent by Ally Vance

Seth is the youngest 'Knight' (I believe) to claim a seat at the infamous table of the Cavalieri Della Morte
Seth works as a collector. Collecting outstanding debts for Arthur. Debtors choice. Crimson or green?
Seth still has a lot of his humanity left. When he was young tragedy struck his life. He vowed at an early age he would avenge the creature who brought upon him the memories that would forever haunt his nights. Mentored by Lance Knight into the brotherhood. He has a deadly skill, devout dedication and yes, he is a bit of a rebel.

Leeann thought things were good. Yeah, there was the occasional blip in her world. But hey nothing is perfect.
Except it seems her value. She is the perfect answer to so many problems. Sadly they were not her problems. Until now.
I have to say I truly adored her spunk! Even with all the head bashing and finger groping she never backed down!
Seth truly has a heart and it seems to have been taken captive. The way Leanne fights him at every turn and the undercurrent of innocence in her touch only drives his need for her higher

This was a solid read with a serious twist in the storyline that affects one of my favorite Cavalieri. For me, it did not have the darker undertones that some of the other story's did. It still had lots of blood and guts and fun times with torture. It just (IMO) was more of a straight romance. I am not sure how to put it.
I did wish there was a bit more closure with regards to certain events and others I would have liked a bit more meat to the scene. But anyone who follows my reviews knows I am a bit greedy with my story lines.
Another wonderful addition to the Cavalieri family.
Amazon


Onyx (Sinners Syndicate #1)Onyx by Nikki Landis

I originally had the pleasure of meeting Derek and Leigh in the book Harleigh, fell in love with them immediately.
Leigh who has an almost hero worship for Harleigh Quinn is such a blast! Her character is blunt and in your face. But behind the colorful pigtails and 'can't touch this' attitude is a little girl still hiding from the nightmares that walked the halls of the academy.
Derek has watched over her, protected her for the last few years. Watching silently from the shadows, observing her every move ensuring her safety and counting down the days. Stalk much? No seriously, serial stalkers can't compete with his level of obsession. When he is finally granted the green light to infiltrate her world all bets are off! Bring it on! These two are a nuclear reaction when they come together.

I love the bright characters that Landis created for this series. The works building is unique and complex. The multiple scenarios that 'could be ' definitely kept me on my toes. The cast, whether main or supporting, is so vivid - you can't help but feel as though you are there.
This has lots of action, a touch of angst (tissue box required) that hits hard and some seriously steamy chemistry between Onyx and Harleigh.
Amazon


Sweet Nothings (The Chosen One, #0.5)Sweet Nothings by Macy Blake

Sweet Nothings (The Chosen One"Family is the people in your heart, not just the people in your blood. "

What a fabulous intro to a creatively crafted world. This is the first in what looks to be an entertaining and engaging series.
The author introduces the primary players (there are a lot but it was easy to follow who was what) and the major plot line as well as some secondary with such detail it was as though I was there.

Sam was the quiet kid who grew into the straight-laced teacher.
Vaughn was the jock the popular one the gorgeous one - The one who stared in every dream Sam ever had.
Until the night Vaughn left Sam discarded and embarrassed.
I love that fickle brat we call fate - Seems she decided she was not done with Sam just quite yet.

This was such a heart-tugging read.
We get a dash of suspense all blended up with a touch of angst to create one very emotional and entertaining story,

Sweet nothings story revolves mostly around the cubs and Sam. How they became a family and the different hurdles they were each faced with.

Still not sure how they got where they were originally or who took them or heck even why, but I think there is a reason for that. This is the prologue to a series and with so many wonderful characters I can only foresee each future episode as being filled with engaging plot twists, white knuckle suspense and let us not the forget the sweetest of romances.
Amazon


Cookie Wars: An Enemy to Lovers Romantic Comedy (A Year in Love Book 2)Cookie Wars: An Enemy to Lovers Romantic Comedy by Liz Gavin

This serial series starts with Easter Cookie (which is currently free)
Where we meet Natalie and Stephen.
Both are successful
They have the same careers
They have the same drive
They share a history
They share a little something extra
They are competitors in and out of the boardroom

Each release so far has been about 50 pages and despite each release being so short -
I was engaged in the story line.
I felt a connection to the characters.
I wanted more.

Natalie is wary of any form of commitment. Having been burned by her bestie and the boy she thought was her boyfriend in high school she has become a bit of a commitment-phobe when it comes to long term commitments. Frenemies with benefits though is a definite okay in her book. Her character is spunky and takes no prisoners. She is a bit clumsy but not in her ever-present stilettos.
Every woman needs her armor.

Stephen is laid back. I liked how he admitted the woman had him in knots every time she was within breathing distance. He is patient and knows his persistence will pay off. Or he hopes it does.

Easy to follow story line with solid characters that will engage and delight.
Amazon  Kobo  Nook


Devil's BargainDevil's Bargain by Natasha Knight

Hawk and Melissa are polar opposites.
He's neat - She's 'relaxed'.
He's rich - She's surviving.
He craves control - She craves freedom.
Together they are one sexy mess!

"I'm a half full kind of guy"
Hawk had me a bit on the fence. All sexy "ugh you mine" caveman protective then blink he was ruled by his vengeance and anger. He wasn't who everyone thought he was. Then again the initial auction left me with all kinds of questions as to his true character. Wait till you hear his secret.
One slice of humble pie, please.

Melissa had a whole house full of skeletons that she was trying to hide. When her past came calling and the truth was revealed I saw her in a whole new light. She did what she had to do. There is always a choice, not always an easy, one but there is a choice and I think she made the right ones.

This was a hook right from the start. Hawk had an edge to him that made him both the perfect hero and the perfect anti-hero. The story line was easy to follow, though at times I questioned how we got where we were. The cast was perfectly scripted I loved or loathed them, there was no middle ground. Except with Hawk. There are multiple smaller story lines within Devil's Bargain leading me to believe we can expect more from this cast. I do wish this had been longer. I have a lot of questions. There were some secondary characters and plot lines that I felt were introduced to the reader but not followed, this is what leads me to believe future episodes are possible. I also would have liked more knowledge or even closure with regards to certain scenarios that are current couple faced. Melissa's past is one of them. I also would have enjoyed more time with Hawks kin and the story there. I felt that the section was rushed, and I really was enjoying it.
I know, call me greedy.
I do hope to see Declan gets a story.
We do wrap up with an HFN.
Amazon   Nook  Kobo 

#bookreview #epub #kindle #romance #KU
#rockstar #multicultural #gothic #superhero #pnr
#fantasy #gayromance #lgbt #enemiestolovers
#romcom #short #saga #bookrecommendation

#MJayGranberry #AllyVance #NikkiLandis
#MacyBlake #LizGavin #NatashaKnight

Comments

  1. Thank for the lovely review of Cookie Wars. I appreciate you taking the time to read my story.
    Hugs, Liz.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment