Skip to main content

🧐 OUR WEEK IN REVIEWS 📚 Reviews and Recommendations


💖 OUR PICKS FOR THE WEEK 💖
📚 07/07/2019 📚
⏳ Sociopath's Revenge by V.F. Mason
💣 Tormented by Alison Aimes
💌 His First Lady by Beth Fred
⛓️ Ravaged Captive by Addison Cain
💔 More Than Anything by Natasha Anders
🥀 Lavish Destruction by Myra Danvers




Sociopath's Revenge (Sociopath Duet, #2)Sociopath's Revenge by V.F. Mason

This is the conclusion of the Sociopath duet
We pick up a few years later, but don't worry we do a little back and forth time travel by way of memories, so nothing is missed.
Sapphire and her daughter have settled into a new life, new identities. They are safe and have a chance at a solid future. But for Sapphire, it is without the one man who completed her.

Damian is battling with his inner Sociopath and not everything is going his way.
The injuries he sustained from the shooting were pretty severe and proper help didn't find him for quite a while- sooo not telling.
Conrad knows where his Sapphire is but refuses to endanger them by revealing their whereabouts to Damian.
When he finally is offered the chance to see his Sapphire, to hold her once again, to meet his little girl, he finds himself unsure for the first time in a long time.
Love isn't always enough and reclaiming his Sapphire and uniting with his child may not be on the cards for him.

We get to meet some new characters that IMO are a fabulous addition to our merrily psychotic cast.
Past sins are revealed
Plots become even more twisted
Those we thought lost, return - and not all are welcome back.
Things get dangerously out of control for Damian and Sapphire

I really enjoyed how the loose ends came together.
The story line was easy to follow and I enjoyed that we got Dom's POV as well as some of the other major players.
Yes, there are multi-POV and it works!
I'm looking forward to reading Dom's story next
Amazon


Tormented (The Condemned Series, #3)Tormented by Alison Aimes

"We're each other's always exception. "
Jade was here for two reasons -
The first two acquire the weapon 223 had developed. The second to wipe out once and for all the putrid scourge that inhabited Dragath25.
She was one of the Councils elite assassins. Conditioned to overcome any obstacles to complete her assignment or face execution. She had a perfect record. Until now.
Captured, (only temporally mind you) she had to play nice with her cellie if she was to acquire her freedom and complete her mission. She had learned long ago that emotions only caused pain so why was this felon causing her chest to ache? Watching the emotionally void Jade slowly melt was a wonder to behold. As everything she was taught to believe was slowly disproved she found she kind of liked that ache in her chest. That need in his eyes.
Ryker couldn't believe the council scum had sent a female to Dragath25. Worse he was trapped with her and if he wanted to escape he would have to work with her. An assassin. A soldier. Sexy, deadly and such a turn on.
I was looking forward to watching Ryker fall to the clutches of love. He was in a downward spiral after the loss of his family, Eat. Kill. Survive. He really did not have much beyond his pain and anger.
They were so much alike. Both were void of true emotions (or so they thought) and pretty much lived to follow orders and destroy things.

In Tormented we learned a bit more about the Council and we got some insight into 223. IMO this had a touch more suspense than the previous two. I also felt that some foundation was set for future stories. As for Ryker and Jade, these two are explosive together. Both emotionally and physically they bring the heat in this story to a whole new level. There are some new characters introduced and some old ones were lost. I am looking forward to seeing what is happening back at the compound and with the rest of the squad.
Amazon


His First LadyHis First Lady by Beth Fred

These two have got to have the most screwed up complicated marriage contract in the history of contracts!
Erik is looking for a win to the White House and Evan, his campaign manager, has a plan that will guarantee he gets there.
Mandy is looking for a little bit of finance to finish her degree and possibly a story.
Erik didn't like Evans's plan to start with but when fate literally drops the feisty Mandy into his arms. He can't resist her charm nor the easy way she challenges him.
Erik meet Mandy. Mandy meet Erik.
World meet a calamity waiting to happen.

Mandy is seeking her degree in basket weaving and tree hugging. Don't knock it till you try it. She is smart as a whip and staunch in her beliefs. She does tend to do a lot of open mouths insert foot (re)action and can also be a tad dramatic? Sensitive? Spoiled? There are a few adjectives I can confidently use for her.
In a bit of a tissy, she manages to make quite a mess of things. When the dust clears from her latest life choice she exposes the true diamond she is.
A bit unpolished, but to Erik, priceless.

Erik comes across as very conservative and set in his ways. IMO he is truly a romantic at heart and longs for the white picket fence dream. He may not be the best at expressing this though. Erik tends to come off a bit on the misogynistic side, not his intentions but the words he speaks are not properly conveying his beliefs. With the election looming and the female population not likely to help him into the white house at all, he capitulates to Evans plan.

The opposing energy between these two was cosmic.
The story was easy to follow. I'm not big on politics but Fred found a way to make it engaging, thoughtful and at times a bit amusing.
The cast was fun and quite enchanting. The story had just the right touch of humor mixed with the complications of mixed communication to keep me entertained.
Loved Kristin - my new book bff.
Amazon


Ravaged Captive: A Reverse Harem Omegaverse Dark Romance (Wren's Song, #4)Ravaged Captive:  Omegaverse Dark Romance by Addison Cain

I'm a bit frustrated!
This felt way too short and left me a bit frustrated.
The story and writing are as always top notch and I do not mind serial reads but I need a bit more, please.

We pick up right where we left off.
Caspian is making a statement, though truthfully I think he is just hiding his relief he did not lose his Mouse.
Caspian seems to come to terms with the truth of his connection to Wren, though he has no intentions of outright showing this weakness though he does intend to ensure he is what she craves. His behavior has me leaning back toward him as my pick for Wren's permanent bond.
Kieran has me a bit concerned. The whole doll thing is a bit freaky and she is obviously going to be a problem. He seems to be suffering some long term damage from the drug haze he kept himself in. That or he is asking for his own death. I am truly not sure how I feel about him. I had hope for him and I know Wren still sees him as somewhat salvageable though she has noticed his slight psychosis also.
Toby didn't play a big role in this issue. Though during the closing scenes his final acts and statement lead me to believe Wren could be in trouble when it becomes his turn.
So there are a few plot twists in this installment and some new characters.
Again I have more questions than when I started.
What happened topside? How? Why? I think I have an idea but ...
I need more
Amazon 


More Than Anything (Broken Pieces, #1)More Than Anything by Natasha Anders

I really wanted to enjoy this. I just couldn't get past Tina's character. During the opening, I liked her spunk and was excited to watch her take on her adversaries. As the story progressed the tough 'I can do this' heroine disappeared. She went from placating the negative nancies to becoming one herself. And the lackadaisical attitude she took with regards to her life choices and commitments just cemented my inability to connect with her character. Honestly, her voice in my head even became whiny.

The plot line itself was a great idea and is what captured my attention. I managed to trudge through this story because I was enjoying everyone else. Harris, Oh did I liked his character. He took responsibility for his actions, even when they were not the acts of a good person. And he was such a closet romantic. Lisa, I want her story! Her character had the backbone I want from my heroine.

Yes, life sucks, scars don't 'heal' the trauma, they just provide closure so the wounds don't fester. We choose how we want the world to see those scars.
Note this is how I responded
Amazon  Nook


Lavish Destruction (The Last Tritan, #3)Lavish Destruction by Myra Danvers

I'm actually a bit upset with Mila at the moment.

If you haven't read the previous books in this series you need to stop and go back. Truly nothing will make sense if you dive into the madness now.

Destruction picks up right after the explosive end of book two (see what I did there).
Mila again has acted without thinking. The girl is like a damn tide - one minute she is seeming to mature and think before acting. The next? She is tugging at the edges of sanity and drowning everyone in her stupidity! You might say I am a bit upset with her in this episode.

Deep breath aaaaand moving forward.

Asher has always had me wavering when it came to interpreting my feelings toward his character. He seems so cold and callous some times. As each episode progresses it becomes apparent there is a hidden agenda behind his behavior. And I have to ask myself which side is he truly on? After the little bomb that is dropped here in Lavish, I am even more torn. Is it all for power? Is he playing everyone? What am I missing?
As this came to a close I have to say I currently like him more than Mira and I think (I say that very tentatively) I understand his long term intentions. I am worried about how the betrayal will affect him. How he will respond and if he will retaliate.

So many truths were revealed in this episode. Though I now think I have more questions than when I started.
A lot of secrets are still just that -Secrets - I am not sure who I trust.
Deep cutting betrayals are prominent- still not sure here about a certain someone, actually leading more to traitor status.
Selfish sacrifices were made - Wait for it and you will understand what I think happened - though at this point I could be wrong.

I have devoured each new episode of this series with such hunger only to find at the end I am nowhere close to being sated. I want closure but I don't want the series to end.
Amazon

#VFMason #AlisonAimes #BethFred
#AddisonCain #NatashaAnders #MyraDanvers

#darkfantasy #mythology #omegaverse #reverseharem
#gothic #fiction #billionaireromance #womensfiction
#crime #thriller #suspense #SciFi #fantasy #romcom
#humorous #kindleunlimited

Comments