Skip to main content

🧐 OUR WEEK IN REVIEWS 📚 Reviews and Recommendations



💖 OUR PICKS FOR THE WEEK 💖
📚 07/14/2019 📚
👑  The Making Of A KING by N.M. Catalano
⛲  King of Blood by Kathryn Ann Kingsley
⏳   VII: Seven by Lana Sky
📜  Guarding Gabriel by J.A. Wynters
🧛   Bloodsucking Lawyer by Nadia Diament
🔮  Zaphram, The Hidden Jewel by Gail Parker

LOOKING FOR MORE TRY ➡ 
  GOODREADS  AMAZON   BOOKBUB


The Making Of A KING (The KING Duet #1)The Making Of A KING by N.M. Catalano

Gripping - Emotional - Raw

Lucas is that anti-hero.
The one we absolutely despise.
The one who's darkness calls to us.
The one we believe we can save.

Forged by the immorality of humanity -
Angry at a world that plays favorites -
Betrayed by the petty and greedy -
He takes all that hate and rage and bottles it.
Uses it to fuel his retribution.
He has a plan. It is perfect.
Until Evelyn.
Until the day a Storm tears apart his very foundation.

Evelyn
The perfect sister.
The perfect caretaker.
The perfect daughter.
Despite all the tragedy that had befallen her world she still radiates a kindness, an innocence that seems to encompass those around her.
And her laughter -
She was the perfect Storm ~ and she needed to be quelled.

I loved and loathed Lucas all at the same time.
He was so angry at the world. I understood his pain a bit more as the story progressed and the layers that were Lucas were peeled away. It by no means justified the cruelty and debasement that he dealt out like candy, but it did give motive.
Evelyn, my heart truly broke for her. She was trying so hard to be so many things. At first for me, she came across as a bit naive but I was wrong. So wrong. She is the Storm that Lucas touts her to be.

Catalano sets the foundation with The Making of a King.
Lucas' need to destroy the light that is Evelyn.
The acts of jealousy that would fuel the betrayals (this is a tissue moment!)
The one decision that would rip apart their world birthing the monster that Lucas would become.
We get to meet the key players. Some on a very personal level, others we only get glimpses of, not enough to know if they are part of the problem or part of the solution.

As I have come to expect from Catalano's writing we are left dangling on a precipice of needing more.
One taste just wasn't enough.
This is a wine (I required Vodka, just saying) and tissue read.
It takes the reader beyond the darkness.
I have so many questions
Need book two now!
Amazon


King of Blood (The Masks of Under #4)King of Blood by Kathryn Ann Kingsley

I can't - my heart can't take anymore.

"We are far more than the stories that are told of us, my beautiful sister. I cannot wait to see what stories they tell of you. "- Ini

Lydia is beginning to settle? Into her role as Queen of Dreams. No, her world isn't getting any less dangerous just more expected?
As the void slowly recedes and Under becomes the world it once was new threats come to existence and lines are clearly drawn between friend and foe. Well, maybe not so clearly. Lydia's casual approach at life (or death in this case) makes sense. She can't change what is and despite events that, at first glance, seem like senseless violence Lydia sees beyond the black and white. The perpetrator believed what they were doing was for a greater purpose. How can she condemn someone for acting on what they believed served the greater good of all?

"Into the darkness of my mind, my soul, I stare. Nothing shall gather within the shadows. In the twisting nettles, the briars, the thorns. I feel the pain that makes me whole. Balm not the biting sands that sting my flesh, for in that sorrow is my joy. "- Aon

This passage holds so much meaning.
Aon has suffered so much loss. He has always been the black sheep, the feared and unwanted. And now we see it may have been for valid reasons.
He portrays himself as cold, cruel, and untouchable yet for his
Lydia, he will remove his mask
He will sacrifice the world to protect her.

'That through all the fear and the horror, you would not succumb to hopelessness in the face of death and suffering. "-Aon
If only he knew how true his words would become.

The king of blood. So beautiful. So righteous. He is the keeper of the peace. The final words of wisdom. He has the power to bring unity to Under or to destroy all that he perceives as warped. He holds the chains of the ancients.

I'm not risking spoilers.
I will say this may be the most intense and suspenseful episode yet.
Emotionally this was the hardest one for me.
I cried those heart wrenching silent tears. I screamed "please no!" countless times. Held my breath praying the worst would not come to pass.
As I write these words my heart still lies shattered at my feet. Broken and battered.

If you risk one new author
Try one new series
Let it be this one
Do not pass this series up!
Amazon


Guarding GabrielGuarding Gabriel by J.A. Wynters

I am not even sure how to put Jane's story into words, and I definitely do not want to risk spoilers.
When I first read the blurb for this I was all in! As an avid reader, the scenario was truly quite plausible.
I had a bit of trouble following all the events until about a third of the way through - the car incident was the turning point for me. I do not want to give spoilers but darn if that is not something I would have done - You go Jane! As the pieces fall into place be prepared for some bouts of laughter, a whole lot of steam and some twists that you will not see coming - tissues recommended.
Emotionally this was a pretty rough read - just the concept of how much emotional pain was required for Jane to come to this point in her life was overwhelming in itself but to travel the journey with her. Both heartbreaking and breathtaking.
The romance between Gabriel and Jane was off the charts - The tension between Jane and her "neighbor" holy chit !!
Definitely, a must read romance.
Amazon


VII: Seven (War of Roses Book 2)VII: Seven by Lana Sky

I hinted before that I was not sure which friends were really friends and if the supposed enemies were truly enemies. Now I am even more unsure of who to trust.

Retaliation against Mischa leaves 'little rose' with her petals crushed.
Robert's secrets are exposed.
Sergei, I'm not sure if he has the best of intentions or is working his own agenda.
Vanya, his kindness confuses me, almost makes me think something is off. He could be a key player in this puzzle.
Mouse, there is a story there.

XII gave us a more personal (? ) and up-close look at Mischa. Dare I say I was a bit shocked at his past? He has a softness under all that growling that he does. He reminds me a bit of a lion with a thorn in his paw. All bluster and growl, protecting his soft underbelly. No, he is still not redeemable in my eyes just a bit more likable? Still highly psychotic, but a bit more likable.

Little Rose is finding her thorns. I worry for her though as each piece of the puzzle is revealed and her reality as she perceived it is shattered. Will she have the strength to go forward. In a couple of scenes her inner strength wavers, I can't blame her. How much more betrayal and deception can her mind suffer through before it just isn't worth fighting anymore?

There is so much more going on and I don't want to risk spoilers.
Be prepared for the brutal twists.
For bloody betrayals
For a hellacious cliffhanger
I need to know this works out -
I need to know she comes out the other side intact.
Amazon Kobo  Nook 


Bloodsucking Lawyer (Tucson Underworld, #1)Bloodsucking Lawyer by Nadia Diament

The first thing to grab my attention was the title.
Blood Sucking Lawyer - like that wouldn't pique my curiosity.
Then I read the blurb and well all bets were off.
This was a humorous romance with a bit of intrigue and magic sprinkled on top.
It truly was a refreshing read with a happy ending. Well, a happy for now ending. I am looking forward to the next in series.
Henry is not your average vamp. I think 150+ years has actually mellowed him out a bit. He is not a big fan of people, mortal or supernat. He likes reading and quiet nights in with his cat. No, I am not kidding. Don't let the propriety fool you though, under all that gentlemanly demeanor lies the burning embers of a long-suppressed wealth of passion. And it seems our sexy and smart Ms. Emma is adding a bit of oxygen to those long-neglected embers.
Emma was a bit off for me in the beginning. I didnt connect with her until about a third of the way through. She is just realizing that there is more to our world than humans and that not all monsters are bad. Some of the surprises she finds as she ventures forward in the world of supes are hilarious others are a bit scarier. I did enjoy her inner snark and at times the fact she projected her thoughts (we have all had those quick fantasies) so loudly just made some situations that much more entertaining. She has balls I will give her that.
Rick - keep an eye on this handful. I really enjoyed his character and am looking forward to his story.
Overall an entertaining first in series.
No, it is nowhere close to plausible.
Yes, it is chocked full of sexy innuendos, comical situations, and steamy romance.
A perfect getaway read.
Amazon


Zaphram, The Hidden Jewel (Hidden12Saga #2)Zaphram, The Hidden Jewel by Gail Parker

And it just gets better!
Hold on for more thrills, more action, some angst (you will need tissues for this) a bit of heartfelt romance and a wild adventure that will have your heart pounding from the moment you open the pages to that closing scene that leaves you wanting more!

I was impressed with the way this series began and was eagerly awaiting the second book - and Wow! I was NOT disappointed!
Parker has crafted such a unique and stimulating world for The Hidden Jewel series. Her characters are pop off the pages vibrant that are so easy to connect with - You either hate them or love them.

Our heroine, along with a little help from her friends, is off to help the bad guy (huh? yes you read correctly). As Haven is learning about her self and her own unique abilities she also discovers that she might be part of an ancient prophecy. When it comes down to the wire can she trust those she calls friends or will a betrayal cost her everything she holds close?

This is one of those "must own" series for anyone who enjoys Fantasy and Sci-Fi
The copy I read was comp
Amazon  Kobo  Nook


#romance #crimefiction #fantasy #darkfantasy #suspense #paranormal #vampire #billionaire #romanticsuspense #scifi #newadult  #action #adventure #NMCatalano #KathrynAnnKingsley #LanaSky #JAWynters #NadiaDiament #GailParker #kindleunlimited #bookreview #kobo #nook #kindle #epub

Comments