Skip to main content

🧐 OUR WEEK IN REVIEWS 📚 Reviews and Recommendations 08/04/2019


 OUR PICKS THIS WEEK
🛎️ That Voodoo That You Do by Jolie St. Amant
👺 King of None by Kathryn Ann Kingsley
🎼 Sing to Me by Lee Piper
🔗 Broken by Eva Dresden
💔 Interference: by Harlow Cole
🗡️ Rules of Bennett by Ember Michaels

LOOKING FOR MORE ➡
GOODREADS  AMAZON   BOOKBUB



That Voodoo That You Do (Chateau Rouge Book 1)That Voodoo That You Do by Jolie St. Amant

Jolie St. Amant was a new author for me and after reading the short stories that made up the release of That Voodoo that You Do -I can say she is now one of my must-read authors in the paranormal romance genre.
St. Amant brought the city of NOLA to life in this brilliantly vivid and heartwarming collection of short romances each involving the tenants and guests of the Chateau Rouge.
I was impressed with how easily I was able to connect with the characters, despite each story being a short read.
Each character brought their own unique flare to the story line
The mysterious shop keeper who seemed to be omniscient, the rigid protector who watched all with a keen eye,even the quirky matchmaker who played happily in the shadows. 
From the corporeal to the celestial I adored each and every one of them.
The details in each story were vivid and colorful ~ bringing the cast to life and easily transporting me to the hall of the Chateau Rouge.
Definitely, recommend this collection.
Perfect for a lazy afternoon.
Amazon

King of None (The Masks of Under #5)King of None by Kathryn Ann Kingsley

"Isn't that such the nature of life? To not know what you have, until the moment it is gone?"

I tried to be very careful not to write any spoilers

In the previous episode Under had finally been restored to its full beauty. There was hope, cause for celebration ~ until once again our newest Queen was viewed as less than.
Aon in his grief and anger at the betrayal against his sweet Lydia sought vengeance. He would show no mercy. No thought to the consequences of his actions. Justice would be served by his hand.
In doing so he destroyed the one being that held Unders darkest evils in chains, dooming Under once again to be nothing more than the playground of the Ancients and its inhabitants reduced to nothing but fodder to be tossed about and discarded.
And so the King has risen with one goal - to acquire his Queen
(Not sure how well that is working out for him)

I'm a bit torn. I understand the ancients are not all there mentally. But really what do they hope to gain with their actions? If you break all your toys you have nothing ...

Aon has undergone some changes ... He is still the same sadistic ruler though now slightly more? How can he not understand that if he follows through with his plan it will not be HIS Lydia that stands at his side?

Lydia... I know not where her strength comes from though I do understand her drive. Why lie to yourself when the truth is just as painful, maybe even less? She knows there is always a choice, maybe not the easiest or with the preferred results but it is still HER choice. The problem is can she survive long enough to find a way to fix this?

I need to know how this ends.

It took me a bit to fix the review (it is hard to type when you can't breath) - The weight on my chest has eased some though I am still haunted by the losses and the choices that lie ahead ... I do not see any as a win

This is the fifth book in a series of six -
No, they are not standalone -
Yes, they are a must-read series!
Amazon 

Sing to Me (Rock Me, #3)Sing to Me by Lee Piper

What a way to leave a girl hanging!
This ends on a serious WTH are you doing moment!!

"It says life won't always be like this because I 'm going to find a way to make it better. I need to work hard, work smart, and I'll achieve whatever I set my mind to..." - Harp

Life has forced our young heroine (Harper) to grow up a bit quicker than the norm. It also, sadly, has given her a slightly jaded perspective of the world.
I adored that her character took charge and did the adulting even when she shouldn't have had to and yet at the same time she still was able to hold a bit of that childhood magic in her heart.

Drake is your typical self absorbed, egotistical, I am a god in my own mind lead singer. When the lovely Haper does not drop and drool at his feet ... well, that just won't work for him.

The chemistry between these two is pretty instant. The old adage about opposites attracting definitely applies here.

It seems that Harper has a lot more secrets than she is letting on and some of them may cost lives. But she isn't the only one withholding secrets that could shatter innocent lives.

This was such a personable and heart-tugging read. The storyline was easy to follow and draws the reader in easily keeping them engaged and wanting more.
I have all kinds of questions!
I need book two now!
I still can't believe the cliff I was left dangling from!
Amazon 


 Broken (Omega's Destruction, #1)Broken by Eva Dresden

Holy Shnikeys!
I am going to try and do this without any spoilers.
This is one of those reads that will honestly chew you up and swallow you whole - there is no escaping the darkness here.

When I started this book I was a bit unsure of what the heck was happening.
As the story progressed I was still feeling lost.
Did this discourage me from moving forward?
No!
Despite feeling like I was missing some seriously important details the overall writing was hypnotic.
I was compelled to turn the pages .. to move forward
~ I HAD TO KNOW

Quinn ~ I am not even sure how to describe her character. When the story opens she is doing what she must to survive working as a server in a gentleman's (they were far from) lounge.
Her character had that kindness, that innocence that emits from a soul that has seen/experienced loss yet still radiates hope she will someday acquire her dream.
As the story progresses her intelligence and ability to think fast become predominant in keeping herself alive. We do lose her for a bit (this is a section I would have liked more detail regarding) but she comes back and she comes back with a vengeance.

Tobias - not even an antihero
No chance for redemption.
No hope that he has a kind bone in his body.
I am pretty sure that pure evil runs through his veins.
Why he chose Quinn as his "mate" I still am unsure of; I do feel however from the little breadcrumb clues that there is more to his claim than a chance encounter. I think I know what the secret may be linked to but obviously, I need more.

As for the supporting cast - They all need to be dipped in vats of boiling oil ~ and that would be a kindness as far as I am concerned.

I was drawn in and held captive from the first page. I literally was grasping my kindle in terror one moment then smiling with hope the next. I would finally breath believing there was hope only to be thrust back into crimson covered pages of horror and desperation. This is a very psychologically trying read.
Worth the emotional overload ~ floved it!

My biggest complaint with the story was the lack of background and details regarding certain scenes.
Being a first in series I expected all the background and world-building, I may be a bit spoilt.
This is not the way Dresden writes. Seems she may be a bit sadistic and prefers to toss her readers into the deep end, laughing as we attempt to stay afloat. Don't get it twisted she occasionally provided flotation devices (bits of information) but just enough to keep us treading water and seeking the shoreline.
I am a sucker for survival.

If you are a lover of DARK Omegaverse ~
NOT a romance! ~
Then this is a must-add to your collection.
Can I have book two now .. please
Amazon

 Interference: (St. Michaels Duet - Book 1)Interference: by Harlow Cole

😥 An emotional journey

Definite tissue and Hot Cocoa read!

"STAY."
"Forgive."

"Life in the middle place was supposed to hurt. We’re meant to suffer through them—those years that straddle the uncomplicated life of a child and the complex web of adulthood. They’re pre-programmed to blow chunks. Full helpings of angst and raging hormones, leave very few unscathed." ~ Ash

This sums up the first half of the St. Michaels Duet. Interference takes place right at the cusp of our casts adulthood. Those years when all our dreams still seemed possible. The ones where we usually made the greatest memories as well as some of our greatest mistakes.

I needed some time to recover and gather my thoughts after reading this. The story brought out an assortment of emotions for me leaving me a bit broken and definitely with a book hangover.

We start in the now and are cast back to the beginning. Interference takes us back through the events that occurred that made the 'now' possible. The story itself was very easy to follow. The cast, for the most part, was easy to connect with and each member was well written. There were times I felt we spent more time in a scene than was necessary but in the end, I am glad for the quieter moments. They tied everything together even if I did not see it at the time.


"Folks deserved to ride into hell on their own power."
Brayden, at times, made the idea of forgiveness extremely hard.
He was at the crossroads ~ the raging hormones, the pressure of living up to others expectations ~ That place where you want to be an adult but aren't quite sure how.
I did have trouble with his character at times, he could be so extreme. After seeing his world I understood many of his reactions. Didn't approve of them but I got it.
He was loved, truly loved, yet he still wanted that one thing he just could never seem to acquire ~ parental approval. Negative or positive it did not seem to matter. Anything that for a moment made him feel wanted, that he wasn't a castoff.
IMO his instant "brotherly" connection to Soot was a bit of transference.
They did make the best of besties.

"A tiny little monster with a real hard head."
Ashley was a sweetie. I enjoyed her tomboy persona. She wasn't afraid to be who she was. Her presence a soothing balm for Brayden's inner monster.

Joey ~ Ashley's bestie. The town gossip queen and trouble walking. I loved her.
Nathan, Ashley's brother. was a quiet presence. He was in most of the story buy IMO his actions didn't really stand out until maybe the last few chapters. There was a reason for that.

There are quite a few other cast members whose presence make a very strong impact on the story line. Some I wanted to toss into the lake so they had some time to cool their heels others I wanted to wrap in bubble wrap and protect from what I knew was coming.
Overall a very intense read that kept me entertained and emotionally engaged

If you take a chance on one New Adult novel this year
Let it be this one
Amazon


 Rules of Bennett (A Dark Prequel)Rules of Bennett by Ember Michaels

Speechless!
I've read a few dark reads and I must say this lands strongly in my top five list of anti-heroes with absolutely no chance for redemption
Not that they are looking for it.
I truly believe Bennett enjoys bathing in the blood and tears of his enemies

This was only a sample of what is to come
A sort of warning perhaps?
Or possibly an introduction to all the horrors that await those who break the rules?
If the story even comes close to the nightmares this has conjured in my mind
- I'm not sure I will survive Bennett

This is NOT a romance!
If you are looking for hearts and flowers or possibilities of redemption this is definitely the wrong place to be looking.
For those who enjoy their stories a bit bloody with absolutely no hope in site then look no further.
Amazon


#fantasy #dark #horror #vampire #ghost #paranormal #romance
#newadult #contemporary #rockstar #omegaverse #fiction #sports #inspirational #90min #mystery #thriller #suspense
#kindleunlimited #bookreview #bookrecommendation #novel #series
#JolieStAmant #KathrynAnnKingsley #LeePiper #EvaDresden #HarlowCole #EmberMichaels

Comments