Skip to main content

OUR W👀K in BOOK REVIEWS ➜ DEC 15th



OUR PICKS THIS WEEK
🎭 Madman's Cure by V.F. Mason
🧛 Birth of the Bacchae by Stephanie Mirro
🧪 Kings of Carrion by Keri Lake
🌪️ Hidden Truths by K. Webster
🔫 Dangerous Game by L.P. Dover
⚔️ The Splintered Crown by Larry N. Martin

GOODREADS  AMAZON   BOOKBUB


Madman's Cure (Madman Duet, #2)Madman's Cure by V.F. Mason

"Arson was right. When we think about certain actions and reactions, we only think from our perspectives. " - Eduard

Spiraling
Falling into the twisted abyss that was the Cure
That was me from the moment I opened this read until the last page when I finally took a breath while drying my eyes

I know I have said it before but I will say it again -
Mason never fails to deliver!
At the end of book one, she literally dropped her readers into a spiraling abyss - leaving us blanketed in darkness aksing WTH just happened

"We have choices in this life. To be good or bad."- Eduard

Cure picks up right at that moment of pure horror and slowly places all the smaller pieces together creating a picture that reflects the abject horror that was the Campbell twins' past.
We spend more time in Madman's head -
Not sure if that was a good thing or not?
We go back in time, back through each memory, each act that would set into motion a decade long battle for survival.

I thought I was prepared for the darkness
That I could stand witness to their pasts without faltering
I was wrong
The vile acts that became their norm -
The violence that crafted he who has no name -
The sacrifices that molded Eachann into what he is now
Or...
Well, there are a few surprises I have no intention of spoiling!

I have followed this series from its conception. Each duet a standalone yet a piece of a larger whole.
I love my serial killer family and I think I know who's, next to fall under the blade
Amazon

Birth of the Bacchae (Immortal Relics #1)Birth of the Bacchae by Stephanie Mirro

An action-packed adventure filled with mystery and chaos!
I am a big fan of paranormal and this checked so many of my boxes.

The world-building was five stars. Mirro brought to her readers a whole new concept to the origins of the vampire. It was a bit of myth blended with the shattering of most previous definitions.

The cast was expertly crafted the characters felt real. As a reader, I found it easy to relate to them (well the humans) forgetting at times that they were fictitious. Yes, I gasped aloud when they were in trouble - felt angry when they were wronged - wanted to assign time outs when they were just being nasty and even shed a silent tear here and there when things went downhill.
The story is engaging with all kinds of twists and turns taking the reader with Sera as she discovers her past and tries to protect her future. The author sets a very solid foundation for the long term storyline with this first in series release. I was impressed with how well this flowed and the amount of background she was able to provide to me as a reader.

Something any paranormal lover can sink their fangs into
*quick note this is not a PNR*
Amazon 

Kings of Carrion (Juniper Unraveling, #3)Kings of Carrion by Keri Lake

"We are broken pieces, stitched together by the pain of our losses. I don't know if we'll ever be fixed again. The only thing that's certain is the uncertainty that awaits us. " - Cyrus

"Air gives us breath. Food gives us strength. And love gives us hope. In a world of monsters, love makes us human. " - Cali (never stopped believing)

"Someone has to be the bad guy " Cadamus

I need a moment to compose my thoughts. Bring my heart-rate down. Release the tension.
I don't want to leave - I'm not ready to say goodbye.

The series as a whole has been one of the most emotionally trying and all-consuming reads I have had the pleasure of coming across.
Whether you normally read the post-apocalyptic genre or not doesn't really apply here with the Juniper series. It wasn't about surviving zombies or traversing miles of empty buildings and barren land. Don't misunderstand the above is present just not the story.
This was more.
So much more.
It was about two couples - Their families - Both blood and chosen. It was about the darkness that lives in all of us.
It was about loss, greed, hope.
It was about living and dying -Hate and love.
It was everything and still not enough.

If you take a chance on one author one series let this be the one.
Will be back to review- wasn't kidding about being emotional (I came back this is the updated version)
Amazon

Hidden Truths (Truths and Lies, #1)Hidden Truths by K. Webster

Did she? Or didn't she?
I need answers!!!
And I'm thinking there is a bit more to the sour coffee and not so tasty shrimp?
But the monthly thing has left me unsure it was alluded to though not confirmed.
I wish this had been longer! I know I know, I'm seriously greedy that way.
I don't want to give any spoilers or even clues as to how things play out
There are so many "oh no you didn't" and "you go girl" moments

Talia is a ball buster... seriously that girl just blazes through the negative and keeps reaching for the positive
Kostas is a horse's backside - possibly redeemable but the jury is still out
Aris is fun-loving, outgoing and a tad green it seems (in both ways really)

This does take place at times in the far fetched end of the pool but it works. The cast was just so vibrant(?) I instantly connected and was engaged. The story line held me captive and had me wanting more with each turn of the page
I stayed up past bedtime to finish this 😳
I need book two yesterday!!
Amazon

Dangerous Game: An Armed & Dangerous/Circle of Justice Crossover NovelDangerous Game: An Armed & Dangerous/Circle of Justice Crossover Novel by L.P. Dover

One of the things I enjoy about Dover's writing style is her strong female leads and her balanced alpha males. There is a certain flow to her stories that truly captivates me as a reader.
The suspense is like a tight rope - a careful balancing act from beginning to end -
Her characters are always so vibrant and easy to connect with.

Dominic is all Alpha - growly, short-tempered and well built(?) Yet he also had the ability to step back and analyze the situation- think with logic not emotion - not that he always made the smartest choices...
When he wants something he gets it.
Faith - what can I say? At times I swear she was living in a bubble crafted by
her wildly vivid imagination -
a sort of protection from reality .
(Enough with the T.V. Faith)
I liked her backbone and her heart. I may not have agreed with all her decisions
but they worked for her (most of the time) and only accented her more carefree personality.

The chemistry between these two was hot!
They fit - she was the yin to his yang.
I am looking forward to the next in series
Amazon  Kobo  Nook

The Splintered Crown: A Tankards and Heroes NovelThe Splintered Crown: A Tankards and Heroes Novel by Larry N. Martin

An epic fantasy that captivates and enchants from the opening page to the closing scene.
This is the type of storytelling that captivated me as a child, that started my love of reading.

Our little band of misfit mercenaries has hit on hard times. They just need one last hurrah so they can settle down away from the law, the hunters in search of a bounty, the overall craziness. When an opportunity is presented to them they take it.
What follows is truly an epic adventure that transports the reader into a realm of magic, mystery, and mischief.

I am torn as to who my favorite character is. Each one was so well crafted and brought their own unique touch to the story line.
Martin created a bewitching universe that easily transports the reader to another realm.

The copy I read was comp and this was a new author for me - One that I now added to my must-read list of favorites.

If you enjoy a full-length tale that enchants and entertains look no further!
Amazon  Kobo  Nook

#swordandsorcery #epicfantasy #paranormal #mythology #dystopian #pulpthrillers
#vigilantejustice #romance #suspense #organizedcrime #geneticengineering #grecoroman #serialkiller #bookreview #bookblog

#MadmansCure #BirthoftheBacchae #KingsofCarrion #HiddenTruths #DangerousGame #SplinteredCrown
#VFMason #StephanieMirro #KeriLake #KWebster #LPDover #LarryNMartin

Comments