Skip to main content

OUR W👀K in REVIEWS DEC 1st ➜ #BookReviews



OUR PICKS THIS WEEK

🩰 Second Chances by Anna Edwards
🔥 Skinned Deeper by Ivy Chapman
🔫 Tangled Threat by Heather Graham
🎪 In Peace Lies Havoc by Amo Jones
🌘 Zylar's Moons Series by Ravyn Wilde
🧁 Cupcakes & Curses by Jane Hinchey



Second Chances: A Control Series Spin OffSecond Chances: A Control Series Spin Off by Anna Edwards

I loved the Control series and I admit I was curious about what the future might look like for our cast.
Especially for Ryan.
His childhood was more of a warping of the mind and body into a tool for revenge purposes.
I believe this is marked as a standalone therefore I do not want to risk spoilers for those who choose to go back to the beginning.
And I really really suggest that.

Elena got on my nerves during a couple of scenes. I felt she came off a bit judgmental maybe just immature ... IDK how to explain it I was most likely comparing her situation to some of the other casts and well she has nothing to be whining about.
I can be a bit cold like that ...
Truly her character is a sweetheart. She radiates a sort of happiness that seems to infect those around her. She has a really big heart that is easily hurt.
I suggest maybe she should consider skipping meals with mom .. just a thought.

I liked the changes in Ryan they fit his persona or how I envisioned the boy inside the man would be had he not had to hide behind the facade. I read the series so for me this was such a bonus. To see Ryan complete and whole and to watch him interact with his family - the love and bonding
*sigh*

I'll admit I wish some of the scenes had a bit more to them. That is most likely just me being greedy - I wanted more. More details more story just more!
At times the problems IMO were solved too easily.
Though I guess after everything the family has been through it was time for a little easier journey.
Less drama and more happiness?

This is a much tamer read than the original series.
Great flow, easy to follow and a heartfelt closing to Ryan's story.
Amazon

Skinned Deeper (Cursed Flesh #2)Skinned Deeper by Ivy Chapman

Well, He ll... now I'm all curious
I came into this serial read on this chapter/ episode
Honestly, I was able to piece together what was happening without a problem - Though I am curious now how the first episode played out.

What a deliciously evil twist to the already dark and messed up dynamics of the mighty alpha vs. the lowly omega

Since I don't want to give spoilers I will be overly vague
Our heroine is one seriously psychotic Alpha.
If her actions in this episode reflect her past in any way I would say she just got a reason to get a lot more vicious and possibly even a tad more bloodthirsty
Our H reveals the why behind the curse and honestly, I'm not sure who is more morbid him or her

Since I came in on this episode I really did not form a connection with the characters. It is a serial read so it is pretty short. What is there runs on the darker side of Omegaverse reads.

Obviously, this being a serial series it's a quick read that leaves the reader far from sated
Amazon  Kobo  Nook

Tangled ThreatTangled Threat by Heather Graham

Graham is among one of my favorite authors - I own quite a few of her works
Tangled Threat was written by her for the Harlequin Intrigue series
It has a solid story line though it gets slow in some scenes. It was a bit of mystery blended with a bit of history.
This one was not a big hit for me but it was not a major miss either.
I just did not find the characters that inviting - I didn't connect with them the way I normally would like.
Maybe if the story had been a bit longer? IDK - truthfully it just felt a bit rushed. A little incomplete?
This is me though and I like the twists and the near misses as well as a lot of detail to my reads.
The heat level is around a 1 then again it is more of a mystery with a second chance romance slipped in there so ..
Overall it was an enjoyable read just not one of my favorites
#TangledThreat #NetGalley
Amazon  Kobo  Nook 

In Peace Lies Havoc (Midnight Mayhem #1)In Peace Lies Havoc by Amo Jones

Wow!
Jones once again twists reality to where I no longer question the improbable
Instead of seeing it as plausible and consuming it
like a fine chardonnay

I was a bit confused in the beginning
Still pulling out my hair over a third of the way through
I wanted the answers, not just the causes

Dove: Light, a survivor, trying to stay one step ahead of the Shadow,
drowning in its darkness. Honest
Kingston: " strong, assertive, broody, intense, liar"
Killian: " playful, devious, trickster, liar"
Keaton " confident, skeptical, careful, liar"
Kyrian " manic, rage, anger, resentment, liar"

As the story progressed it was as though the insanity was contagious
- Everything clicked -
- It made sense -

IPLH drags the reader into a world where brutality and mind games are the norms
led by a twisted cast of freaks that live behind the curtain entertaining our darkest desires.

(The freak thing is sort of under the radar - another thing that took me a bit to catch on too but when it is exposed so many more pieces fall into place )

I had the opportunity to read an ARC copy that was still facing final edits
This is my thoughts on the copy I read
Amazon  Kobo  Nook 

Zylar's Moons Series Volume 1 (Books 1 - 3) Alien AbductionZylar's Moons Series Volume 1 (Books 1 - 3) Alien Abduction by Ravyn Wilde

Zylan Captive (Zylar's Moons, #1)
NO SPOILERS!!!
And you thought women had it rough fighting for equal rights here on earth.
This is a fictional fast-paced, fun, and suspenseful alien romance that will have you laughing and "Oh No"'ing and occasionally shaking your head and saying "Oh No he didn't"
There were times I found myself battling with my inner gal over whether to snuggle up with Tar or bash some sense into him - the jury is still out but I am definitely leaning towards snuggling.

Absolutely LOVED the chemistry and the back and forth banter between Nyssa and Tar. Their characters and the supporting cast are wonderful and so easy to connect with.

The story goes from expected to no f'ing way in a few short pages! There is action and suspense and a whole "CHAIN" of WTH events, as well as the opening and plot for the next book - which I am very excited about

Zylan Rebellion (Zylar's Moons, #3)
As the Moon's Turn so do the Zylan's in our lives -
OH look another one down!!
- this is the tale of the fall of Raj
I do suggest starting with book 1 - Zylan Captive - this is a standalone story within the series - but honestly, it does make a big difference if you read the first two with understanding the tone of the story as well as the ability to relate to the characters and events as well as all the idioms.
Wilde has provided us with a fantastical journey that is full of suspense, adventure and a whole lot of lovin'.

Ahnika is kidnapped from her planet and enslaved on Zylan - patiently awaiting the perfect time she plans her escape. Finally, she has the chance and she takes it -
Can she stay one step ahead of the hunters? Or will she be returned to a life of enslavement?
Raj a vampen hunter is hired to locate and "save" Ahnika - but Raj is in for a bit of a shock and a whole lot of downtime from this quest -
This is intended for mature readers

This is now available in Kindle Unlimited as a box set ... all the yummy together in one place
Amazon

Cupcakes & CursesCupcakes &; Curses by Jane Hinchey

Engaging - Fun - Witty
An all-around charming read!
🧁 A Paranormal Cozy Mystery guaranteed to please even the pickiest of pallets

Suspense - in spades✔️
Quirky Fun Heroine - Yep ✔️
Sexy Alpha Hero - Oh Yeah✔️
Misunderstood Antagonist - ✔️ I think she needs her own book
Evil cackling bad guys - ✔️✔️ double check!

This was such a great read the first time around and now it is available as a standalone
Paranormal is my go-to genre and when you blend it with such vivid and engaging characters then pack the pages with humor and mystery
It just makes it all the sweeter
Amazon


#newadult #romanticsuspense #psychologicalfiction #omegaverse
#fantasy #harlequin #serialkiller #thriller #paranormal #suspense #scifiromance #mystery #bookreview #bookblog #lovetoread #tbr
#SecondChances #SkinnedDeeper #TangledThreat #InPeaceLiesHavoc #ZylarsMoonsSeries #CupcakesCurses #AnnaEdwards #IvyChapman #HeatherGraham #AmoJones #RavynWilde #JaneHinchey

Comments