Skip to main content

Our Book Thoughts 💭 Reviews and Recommendations for the week of Feb 16th



💖 OUR PICKS FOR THE WEEK 💖
📚 02/16/20 📚

🌙 Knight of the Crescent Moon by L.E. Towne
👰 Captured by the Viscount by Wareeze Woodson
💧  Grape Vine Crew by Erin Trejo
💖 Unwrapping Ainsley by Gianni Holmes
🔥  A Night by my Fire by Addison Cain
💓 Shark's Pride by Angel Payne




Knight of the Crescent Moon (Book 1)Knight of the Crescent Moon by L.E. Towne

What a blast!
This is the first in the Crescent Moon Chronicles
What is shaping up to be an exciting mystery/ paranormal / romance

Tam - by day - with her partner X fights crime on the streets of Philadelphia
At night (or actually just about anytime) she battles the darker unknown evils of the paranormal world
Christopher is a poet - a gentleman - and currently in the wrong era

This was a steady paced read that invokes so many emotions -
One moment I was white-knuckling my reader as we ran the dark streets of Philly chasing monsters - Only to turn the corner and gasp as said monster attempted to divest us of our spine! Let me not forget the gallant and ohhhh so sexy poet who seems to be saving us at every turn.
There is something more to our sexy Mr. Marlowe than meets the eye...

I was easily swept up in the story line. The cast was so vibrant it was like I was there. I could feel the posturing between Mr. Ego and Mr. Poet.
The fear that enveloped Tam when she thought of the danger to those she loved.
The oh so perfect tension that was constant between our two MCs.
There are some areas that are a bit fantastical(?) but overall - this hit the spot for me
Amazon

Captured by the ViscountCaptured by the Viscount by Wareeze Woodson

Matt with that negative attitude and quickly placed judgment I think you need to spend some time in the stables - cool your boots

Isabel, I know you are supposed to be weak-kneed and light of thought but find your spine there is some serious mischief afoot!

The story does start out a bit on the far fetched side of possibilities but in the overall scheme of things it worked.
I was a bit miffed at the beginning with the whole woman's place and all but technically that was the norm for this period.
And truly Matt was one of the better ones - I would have chosen him, though with my luck I would have gotten the cousin - the other cousin
The story line was engaging - I admit I even did the tear thing ( he was such an arse)
The mystery that loomed just out of my reach as a reader kept me turning the pages - I had to know who and why
Matt and Isabel are trying to navigate the hostile waters of their new union
Matt is a bit of an overbearing self pompous arse at times but for the most part, his heart is in the right place
Isabel IMO got the short end of the stick - her parents have passed and her guardian is her half-brother who did not want nor need to be saddled with a sibling. Her life has not had many highs

In a desperate attempt to right their lives both make rash decisions that set off a chain of events that may just cost them everything they hold dear.
Isabel decides to grasp her freedom but first, she must right a terrible wrong - the saying the road is paved with good intentions? that would be our innocent Isabel
Matt having lost two of his betrothed decides to smoke them out using a sticky-fingered bandit he now has in his possession. Two birds and all. He will reform the thief and get his answers. No one of worth has to be harmed...
Oh, Matt open your heart.

Can Matt save his new bride from irreparable harm?
Will Isabel forgive the brute of his cruel words?
Will she survive the waters that are being a wife?
Amazon

Grape Vine CrewGrape Vine Crew by Erin Trejo

😢
Emotionally I was a goner -
The interactions between our characters
The darkness of their realities

The plot - The cast was five blazing stars
Just wish there had been more meat to it
Scenes with life-changing events we only got glimpses of
Twists that were only hinted at
A finale that left me needing more

Maybe I am greedy but I wanted - needed - more

Layla was just a bit touched - Not that it can be held against her She was a survivor
She knew when to step back - knew that sometimes giving ground during a skirmish can result in your advancement
So many times I wanted to reach in and comfort her to let her know everything would be okay -
I would be lying but hope is such a strong emotion

Ace ... so blinded by your own fears
You above all should have seen -
The evidence was right there
Bright as the noonday sun
But you feasted on her pain didn't you?
Why step up when it was a never-ending buffet of sorrow?
Amazon

Unwrapping Ainsley (Project Runway #1)Unwrapping Ainsley by Gianni Holmes

🤗

All the feels
Ainsley is such a lovable bundle of energy.
He has so much love to give but life seems to have robbed him of the chance to share it at every turn
Will has chosen comfortable and it has always worked for him. Life has been good, nothing spectacular but reliable, familiar - like your favorite plaid shirt
So what happens when a flannel-wearing good old boy meets a vibrant heel wearing city boy?
Lot's of humor
And all the feels!

I smiled and awwww'd and even shed a couple of tears with this couple.
Just so many emotions.
A wonderful fireside read
Looking forward to the next in series
Amazon

A Night by my FireA Night by my Fire by Addison Cain

I'm not sure of the actual time span this story covers.
A few weeks? A month or so?
It felt like no time at all.
I do know it was enough time for two souls to connect -
Both to heal in their own way:
Stephen to find the pleasure in human contact that he had never experienced. To understand acceptance, the unconditional kind. He sort of reminds me of a big overgrown junkyard dog. He snarls and barks but if you approach him as the alpha his bite seems tempered(?) - deadly but tamable.
And River - she just enjoyed indulging in the companionship. She is a tough woman.

I'm a bit pissed at Stephen but I understand. He knew she could take care of herself and in a way didn't have an option. Still...

River - I would love to get her backstory! It isn't necessary for this encounter but I'm curious especially after the little clues dropped at the end.

This is a true HEA for River IMO.
Not sure about Stephen but I hope he too found his HEA.
Amazon  Kobo  Nook 

Shark's Pride (Shark's Edge #2)Shark's Pride by Angel Payne

"What takes you to the edge of where you're comfortable, into the abyss of where you're afraid?"

For Bas and Abbi, it looks a bit like love.
Both are in uncharted territory and it shows!
Add in whoever is messing with Shark and you have a recipe for disaster.

I admit I'm a bit irritated with Abbi at the moment. Shark is far from perfect but I think he is trying harder than "its all about me" Abbi. Maybe I'm being a bit hard on her but she is slow on the uptake at times. When it takes a small side comment from Rio for her to realize she blew things a touch (sarcasm there) out of proportion that is saying something. I may be just a bit emotional at the moment. Shark is submitting himself willingly to the absolute pain of losing someone you love (No I am not telling) and Abbi is IMO so self-absorbed that she is not seeing the whole picture. Think about that for a moment - cold, I don't care, have no feelings Shark cares enough to sacrifice something he loves.

And not that he did anything that would stand out but Elijah feels a bit off? I don't know why but something is nagging at me about him.
Still loving Grant something fierce - the man just makes me giddy
Omg, so I think I know a secret!!! It's about Shark's sister and her baby daddy! (Again so not telling but I was absolutely giddy with the idea that I might be right)

I'm not sure how I feel about Viktor.. yeah he is slime but I'm not sure he is responsible for all the horrors that are happening.

Lots of fishy stuff going on in this episode.
How did they get that close to her?
Where was everyone?
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google


#paranormal #urbanfantasy #historical #regency #romance
#newadult #gayfiction #action #adventure #bookreviews #tbr #kindleunlimited

Comments