Skip to main content

Our Book Thoughts 💭 Reviews and Recommendations March 01st



💖 OUR PICKS FOR THE WEEK 💖
📚 03/01/20 📚
🌎On the Edge of Humanity by S.B. Alexander
👰 Arranged: A Dark Mafia Romance by Vanessa Waltz
🎻 Every Minute by C.J. Burright
🐺 Andorra Sector by Lexi C. Foss


Looking for more?
GOODREADS  AMAZON   BOOKBUB


On the Edge of Humanity (Vampire SEALs, #1)On the Edge of Humanity by S.B. Alexander
Publisher Description
Sixteen-year-old Jo Mason is lost in a world where traipsing from one foster home to another is normal. She hates her life, she hates school and on most days, she hates living. If it weren’t for her twin brother Sam, she might already be dead.
Her normal world shifts one hundred and eighty degrees when she discovers her own blood tastes like candy and her eyes change colors like a mood ring. On top of that, her eyesight seems to be failing when she spies an otherworldly man, sporting bloodstained canines, who is trying to strangle a cop. The developments are shrouded when Sam goes missing between Anger Management class and History class.
She’s called to the principal’s office to meet Lieutenant Webb London, a Navy SEAL who is part of a secret team of natural-born vampires. His mission is to protect the twins from an evil cartel, but he’s too late. With Jo now under his protection, his team searches for Sam.
However, finding and rescuing Sam from the evil cartel may be the easy part. Jo learns she carries a dormant vampire gene that, if activated, could save him. As her normal world fades even more, pushing her closer to the edge of humanity, Jo must decide if her human life is more important than her twin brother.
With time as her enemy, she struggles to make a life-changing decision for both her and Sam
💭My Thoughts
I enjoyed the unique twist Alexander gave the vampire race
Great job of character and scene building, with plenty of suspense and action -
The three main characters, are pretty spot on for teens - with their quirks and personalities one minute they seem sane and lovable the next you want to strangle them.
I say three because, besides the twins, I also feel their best friend plays a major role in this opening book, I also believe he will be important in the next book and a catalyst for future "hiccups "
My problem with the story -
I was left with 1001 questions and no answers at the end!
Since this is book one in the series and for that reason only,
😉 , I will be patient ... until book 2, then someone better start talking!
Amazon

Arranged: A Dark Mafia RomanceArranged: A Dark Mafia Romance by Vanessa Waltz
Publisher Description
I’ve inherited my sister’s fiancé.
She had him first. Alessio Salvatore. Charming, gorgeous, and completely off-limits. I watched him propose and counted myself lucky when my sister said “yes” to the notorious gangster. I have plans for my life. None of them involve sleeping with the enemy, even if it’s to broker peace between our families.
But when my sister mysteriously dies, my life turns upside-down. I’m now the heir of my father’s assets, and without an arranged marriage, our families are on the brink of war. Until my father gives Alessio an offer he can’t refuse.
Me.
--------
ALESSIO
I need Mia to understand three things:
1. We are getting married in a month.
2. I demand loyalty.
3. I want kids. Now.
I was meant to walk her sister down the aisle. A relationship with Mia would’ve been unforgivable. She was persona-non-grata forever until her old man gave me her hand in marriage.
How could I say no?
But wrangling the boss’ daughter is more trouble than I thought. When she’s not fighting her feelings, she’s fighting me. Never mind that we have more fireworks than dynamite. Or that we’re perfect together. Or that we’re marrying in a few weeks.
She hates me.
Too bad.
She’ll have to get used to me.
Alessio stole my heart <3 br="">It took his brooding arse a bit to learn to communicate 
<3 br="">And wow does he have some groveling to do
Mia is a bit of a handful but not in a negative way - she isn't the wishy-washy heroine but she does battle with what society demands and what her heart wants
💭My Thoughts
I wish this had been longer -
There were a few scenes that, for me, I would have enjoyed more detail or a better closing to the situations.
A lot of unanswered "But Why?" or "How" questions
I enjoyed the underlying sense of suspense but I felt some of the situations needed more resolution
Mind that I am complaining because I enjoyed the story
The cast had me from the opening- it was easy to connect with Mia and Alessio and Michael and ... (you get it)
The plot itself was easy to follow
The devil was in the details or lack of
I do hope we get more from this cast
Amazon


Every Minute (Music, Love and Other Miseries, #1)Every Minute by C.J. Burright
Publisher Description
Introverted teacher versus unstoppable violinist. She wants to be alone. He wants her heart. Let the games begin…
After the unexpected death of her musician brother, third-grade teacher Adara buries her grief, avoids all music and vows to exist without attachments. Social solitude works perfectly…until she’s forced to share her classroom with the new music mentor, a man who rattles her carefully constructed cage and sparks emotions she prefers to keep chained.
Always up for a challenge, violinist Garret is a master of patience and persistence, and the minute he meets Adara, he knows what he wants. Her sharp humor and haunted eyes inspire him in a way he’s never felt before. He makes it his mission to chip through her shields and breathe her back to life—no matter how hard she resists.
Even as Adara struggles to keep Garret at a distance with each clash of wills, each smile he coaxes, each kiss he steals, her resistance crumbles. But when the past catches up with them both, they will discover that some promises are meant to be broken…and others are worth risking everything for
💭 My Thoughts
"Your like summer and happiness in a sippy cup" - Adara
Where do I even start?
With the vibrant large as life cast?
The gut-wrenching angst?
The ab crunching humor?
The emotional journey that was Garret and Adara?
"She was hanging onto a cliff by her fingernails while a dark wind ripped at her tenacious hold"
I commented on the first book (you don't need to read it first to follow but it does add depth to the events) that Adara needed to let go, come to terms with her loss. She is harming herself irrevocably and I know that is not what Joey would have wanted. I'll admit a few times during this journey I wanted to shake her and tell her to wake up! Enough is Enough!
But sadly I had to watch from the sidelines -
Pulling on my hair, tossing out the occasional expletive and drying those random salty drops of sadness - and Hope Garett found a way to light her path.
Garett... I'm absolutely in love 💞
He is so alive.
His personality bleeds from the pages.
I felt his happiness, his joy, his zest for life
I could go on forever (I'm serious)
Every Minute has it all
Family - Life's roadblocks - Angst - Laughter - Hope - Drama - Love
One of those rare romances that will grab you from the first note and stay with you long after the lights go off
Amazon  Kobo  Nook


Andorra Sector (X-Clan #1)Andorra Sector by Lexi C. Foss
Publisher Description
Katriana Cardona
My life ended the moment the X-Clan found me.
Bitten.
Turned.
And claimed by him.
My genetic markers label me as a rare Omega. But inside, I’m all female alpha. And I will not heel. Not even to the Alpha of Andorra Sector.
Ander Cain promises me protection.
A new world of pleasure and pain.
But he wants all of me in return.
Even if it means taking me by force.
I’ll be damned if I give up my inner fight. I spent the last twenty-one years battling the walking dead. These wolves won’t know what hit them when I’m through.
Ander Cain
My life began the moment I found her, my darling little mate. She’s the force of nature Andorra Sector needs to give us hope for a future. A reason to keep going and to protect our lands from the zombie infestation beyond.
Yet she refuses to play by our rules.
Born in a time where humans will do anything to survive, she’s not used to the pack hierarchy or the laws our kind abides by. Oh, but she’ll learn. And I’ll thoroughly enjoy being the one to train her.
Katriana Cardona can fight me all she wants, but in the end, she will be mine. Whether she submits or not.
💭 My Thoughts
I read a lot of Omegaverse. It happens to be one of my favorite genres.
That being said the claiming between Ander and Kat just may be one of the most memorable and emotional I have ever read.
It was the perfect moment, the raw emotion behind the act was *sigh*
This is a standalone, but also part of a collection Zombie Year 2099 but from my understanding, it will spin off into its own series (doing the happy dance 🤗 ). It is a more Omegaverse story line than zombie but it does take place in a post-apocalyptic universe that has been decimated by a zombie population.
Enough about the facts... down to the good stuff - the cast!
Kat. One bad-arse female!
I would never ever want to piss her off! She has a couple of tough moments and she loses focus (broke my heart) for a bit -
But she comes back and may whatever higher power you bow down to grant you mercy cause this kitten is about to shred some canine behind!
Ander you ego-driven, blind, Ill-informed smelly backside of a horse!!
What were you thinking??
Oh, wait YOU WEREN'T!
I'm sorry your wittle ego was bruised - Get over yourself!
I feel better now...
And the supporting cast?
Riley - fiesty Omega Dr. who tells it like it is
Elias - Anders second and our comic relief as well as at times the voice of reason (seriously not sure how that works 🤭 )
Artur and his buddy Enzo- just straight up donkey's rear ends
And so many more I do not even know where to start
I am really really hoping we get to know their stories
As for the world-building - what can I say Out Of This World 🤗
This is Omegaverse so the Alphas rule
The Omegas are.. let's just say personal choice is not always an option - biology is the ruling factor here.
Foss sets up the series here with a solid foundation.
We meet some of the players. Get a glimpse at future possibilities.
Are fed all kinds of breadcrumbs .. I was stuffed by the end!
Just enough to take the edge off but not enough to truly sate our curiosity
The long term story line is put into play
This can be read as a standalone as it is primarily directed at the relationship between Ander and Kat but there is so much more going on as well.
It does have a Happy Enough for Now ending 👼 that should feed your immediate need
Amazon

#bookreview #paranormal #fantasy #darkromance #mafiaromance #omegaverse
#contemporary #kindleunlimited
@SBAlexander @VanessaWaltz @CJBurright @LexiCFoss

Comments