Skip to main content

Our Book Thoughts 💭 Reviews and Recommendations May 24th



💖 THIS WEEKS SPOTLIGHT READS 💖
📚 05/24/20 📚

🦍 Legend by M.R. Leahy
⏳  Shadows of Ghosts by L.A. McGinnis
🌼 He Hates Me by Rina Kent
🌪️ Easy Moves by Lea Coll
💓 A Picture Perfect Christmas by J. P. Uvalle
  The Russian Thug by Rie Warren

Looking for that perfect read?


LegendLegend by M.R. Leahy
Description:
Far, far away, hidden on Insula Sacra—Island of the Accursed— lives a forgotten world of man and beast.
Damned by the Gods, and forced to live in everlasting darkness, they continue to fight a war that has long since been buried in time.
With each rise and fall of the cursed moon, they are reminded of all they’ve lost.
Desperate for freedom, they await the night the one true king will rise to power and free them from the curse.
The King, however, cannot rise without his Queen—both blessed with the mark of the Gods, they must end the war to save them all.
Or so the legend says…
My Thoughts 💭:
Sigh
This read did just as it was intended
Offered an adult version of a childhood favorite
A simple fairy tale
A princess who broke a curse
A prince who saved a kingdom
Love 💘 that beat the odds
Karzan was hidden from the humans to protect him - To hide him from the evil that had plunged their world into darkness
He was their hope for the future
Jayne was the miracle child
The missing piece that would trigger the beginning of the end
The other half of his destiny
I wanted more, would have enjoyed more -
But this was presented more as a bedtime 🌙 story
Short -
Engaging -
A balanced blend of  tension - of romance
and most definitely a HEA
Another wonderful addition to the Sinister Collection
Amazon

Shadows of GhostsShadows of Ghosts by L.A. McGinnis
Description:
Driving to South Carolina to claim an inheritance from a total stranger didn’t figure into Logan Dean’s long term plans. But she'd be a fool to pass up an opportunity, and her mother didn’t raise any fools. Now she's a pawn in a vampire war and fighting to stay alive. Thankfully, she’s discovered an ally in mysterious Ian Grant. As her feelings for Ian grow, Logan comes to realize if she wants the love she deserves, she's going to have to fight the demons of her past.
For over a hundred years, cynical Ian Grant swore to never love another woman. But from the first time he saw Logan, he knew an ancient part of his history had come back to haunt him, and the one thing he doesn't want becomes the one thing he has to have.
Two irreconcilable lives, five hundred years of history, and all they have to do to live happily ever after is defeat the evil that threatens to tear them apart.
My Thoughts 💭:
The overall story is easy to follow and captivated my curiosity from the first page to the last. Plenty of twists and surprises I never saw coming. Lots of "WTH" and "Oh Chit" moments that had me white-knuckling my kindle.
The cast was well scripted and complimented each other superbly.
Logan was running from her past she thought she had been handed a lifeline - She could not have been more wrong.
I enjoyed her character. She could at times be a bit stubborn and definitely quick to make rash decisions (so an understatement). She was determined though and her ability to adapt and overcome was awe-inspiring.
Grant was, well he made for an interesting male lead. A bit commanding at times But arrogance can come with wisdom and age 🙄 In the beginning, like Logan, I felt he was at times a bit quick to act or place judgment but as the story progressed I found his character that much more endearing. He had lost so much and was still in many ways flying blind trying to lead, to make the right choices, even if it was not what he originally wanted.
These two had such unique chemistry between them - enough friction will always cause a spark and sooner or later you are bound to get an inferno. At times the push and pull got a bit aggravating but they did manage to work it out
As for the Ghost part of this story - I so did not see that coming. There were small clues tossed out casually in the story line but when the reveal came - HOLY CHIT
I am moving on to the second book in this series because I really want to see how our cast handles the new order (I guess you could call it that) and I want to see if the "men" who supported Grant get to take baths - this so threw me for a loop still not sure about this part lol.
And Robert ... does he get a HEA? Will he always be the quiet sidekick?
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google  Apple

He Hates Me (Hate & Love Duet, #1)He Hates Me by Rina Kent
Description:
Once upon a time, there was a monster.
When the night falls, he comes out to harvest souls.
He’s silent and invisible —no one notices when he strikes then retreats to the shadows.
Our paths shouldn’t have crossed, but they do.
One day he sees me.
Then he can’t unsee me.
Once upon a time, there was a monster, a killer, a devil.
My stalker.
This is book is a dark stalker romance and contains dubious scenes.
My Thoughts 💭:
I knew it!
Run Petal!
I am actually doing a little happy dance 💃
I foresaw part of the twist that waited for our Petal,
The other two major bombs? The ones that laid this story to waste-
Holy Cyclone!!!
Jas is a touch (being nice here) incomplete, for lack of a better word, though in many ways it is the perfect description for him.
Petal is just plain in need of psychiatric help. Not for her "likes" (you'll see when you get there) but because she just lacks that genetic imperative most humans have - I believe it's called self-preservation?
This was such a twisted read
If you are squeamish or don't like dub-con might I suggest skipping this one
For those who enjoy the crimson-colored inky darkness
This is a must
It ends on a revelation - not quite a cliff hanger but also it is just the beginning of the next chapter
So much delicious deviancy
Amazon

Easy MovesEasy Moves by Lea Coll
Description: 
Gabe
The new Assistant U.S. Attorney was the last person I needed in my business... or my bar. The way she walked in wearing a tight suit and red power heels, flashing that badge should be illegal.
Asking her for help was a mistake. Wanting her was a complication, one that I couldn't afford. We were from two different worlds.
Taylor was spoiled, privileged and in way over her head. I was just the bad boy that girls like her were attracted to, a passing phase. An itch to scratch.
I was no good for her and never would be.
Taylor
New Orleans was a fresh start, a chance to reinvent myself and do some good. Too bad the first person I met was a grumpy bartender with a chip on his shoulder. He said I knew nothing about his city, the people or what they needed. But one look at the bad boy bartender and I knew exactly what I needed. Even if I refused to admit it.
Gabe was a connection to the community. Offering to waitress at his bar in exchange for his help had nothing to do with his flexing biceps or tattoos.
He thought he knew me, that I couldn't handle him or the city... but he was wrong.
My Thoughts 💭:
I am new to the Bordeaux Universe but I will be investigating it a bit further.
Easy Moves was well written with, for the most part ( I will get to him), likable characters and a solid plot line that was easy to follow.
It took me a couple of chapters to connect with the cast.
Gabe grated on my nerves just a touch as he seemed trapped in a cycle of negative thinking. He did a lot of projecting when it came to the defense of his feelings. I found I was constantly screaming at him to "Wake the heck up" or asking him " What in the ever-loving he ll are you doing?" He seemed to be quite proficient at self-sabotage.
Taylor is a "the glass is half full" personality. I have to admit a couple of times I wanted to step in and protect her from Gabelash (it's a thing here).
It did take me a while to warm to him but I found myself supporting Taylor so...
The chemistry between them was quite volatile. A bit of pull then a small explosion followed by a reactional push.
Amazon

A Picture Perfect Christmas (A Picture Perfect Romance Book 1)A Picture Perfect Christmas by J. P. Uvalle
Description:
You never forget your first love. No matter how hard you try.
Darren Hayes, her once-best friend, has been gone longer than Melody Boyer, can remember. Well, that's a lie. He's been gone four years, eleven months, three weeks and two days. Since Christmas Eve: the night they took their friendship to the next level. He rocked her world and made all her fantasies come true only to leave her behind in Hudson Heights to see the world through his lens.
And now he's back, Mr. famous photographer walking into town like he didn't destroy her world years ago. Showing up on her doorstep asking for forgiveness and a chance to be friends again. But friends don't kiss like he kisses her goodbye… and when he proposes they become friends with benefits and see what develops, Melody can't help but wonder what the negatives are. Can she agree to these terms and have the best sex of her life anytime she wants, no strings attached? Or will Darren capture her heart only to break it all over again?
If you like over-the-top romance with a hint of Christmas and some tantalizing sexy times in between, then this delicious treat is for you.
My Thoughts 💭:
Careful what you wish for
Darren and Melody have been besties since early childhood -
Inseparable besties for life - Yin to Yang and all that.
Melody has already planned their wedding.
The problem it seems is Darren is a touch clueless or so it seems.
This was a bit on the overly sweet side - indulging just to indulge.
The pace is quick and some of the scenes are not given a lot of resolution or did not quite mesh with what I would see as a possibility.
It is a short prequel though so I am not really complaining.
It gave me a chance to meet some of the players get a taste for their true character, a feel for how they operate.
Some were smooth, others a bit of a comic relief. Then we had the female canines and so on.
I'm curious to see 👀 where this goes
The ending was an HFN.
I am excited to get started on the first in series as there were little bread crumb possibilities sprinkled throughout this story that may or may not be a part of the plot line, hoping.
Amazon

The Russian Thug: Abducted by the Bratva (Krasnov Brothers, #1)The Russian Thug: Abducted by the Bratva by Rie Warren
Description:
I am her captor.
Her keeper.
And I don’t have a single intention of protecting her.
This mouthy tomboy is the only daughter of the O’Sullivan mafia, and they’ve been screwing us over for months. All of that changes today. I don’t like surprises but I do enjoy a challenge and, by the time I’m done with the Irish brat, the uneasy truce between our Bratva and their family will be no more than bloodstains on the streets of Boston.
I’m going to abduct her. I’m going to toy with her. I’ll control her and teach her family a lesson they’ll never forget. I can’t wait.
My Thoughts 💭:
What a wild read
Jo had me in stitches
She was a little ball of fury. More of a full speed ahead ask for forgiveness later type of heroine. Despite all her bravado though she was carrying her own demons.
It was nice to see them slain
Kirill was the grim reaper on steroids.
Seriously he was so good at what he did I think he even reveled in the moment - that final hitch of their chest as the life left their eyes
This was easy to follow and the fight for control between these two was nothing short of cataclysmic ❤
Looking forward to seeing who succumbs next
Amazon


#bookthoughts #bookcover #bookrecommendations #adultfairytales #tarzan #organizedcrime #darkromance #crimethriller #romanticsuspense #paranormal #ghostmystery #darkfantasy #horror #contemporary #shortstory #romance #eroticthriller #kindleunlimited
#MRLeahy #LAMcGinnis #RinaKent #LeaColl #JPUvalle #RieWarren

Comments