Skip to main content

Our Book Picks for the Week of Sept 13th 💖 Reviews and Recommendations

 

 📚 Our Book Picks for the Week 📚

 Reviews and Recommendations

Sept 13th


🏹 Winter's Arrow by Lexi C. Foss

❣️  Shadow Man by Catherine Wiltcher

💎 A Wolf's Treasure by L.E. Wilson

🏚️  World for the Broken by Elexis Bell

🎭  Master of Salt & Bones by Keri Lake

🐺 The Trouble with Beasts by D. Fischer


Amazon  BookBub  Goodreads



Winter's Arrow (X-Clan, #2)Winter's Arrow by Lexi C. Foss
Blurb:
True love is a myth. A trick. A way to subdue the heroine and take everything from her. 
Winter Snow: My "true love" conspired with my stepmother to have me killed and stole my throne. But they failed. I've been in hiding and refining my vengeance. I'm no longer the damsel they mistook me for once upon a time. I'm coming for them. And my kingdom, too. Who needs dwarves when you have wolves? Who needs blades when you have arrows? My name used to be Snow. Now they call me the Winter's Arrow. Because I'm here to destroy them all. Kazek Flor: I'm not a prince but an Alpha. And I take what I want, when I want it. So when I found an Omega princess dying in the woods, I took her and made her mine. I'll train her. Embolden her. Help her seek the vengeance she is owed. Then, together, we'll take down Winter Sector and the wicked Queen of Mirrors. Run fast, little wolves.
Your former princess is about to rise with me by her side. And we're thirsting for your blood.
Our Thoughts 💭:
★★★★★ Ten brilliant stars ★★★★★
Action - Adventure - Betrayal - Lust - Defiance - Danger - Secrets -Bloody Brawls - Vengeance - Rescues - Twists - Love - Serious pantie melting moments -
It has it all!
I was captive from the moment Alpha Kazek was forced to attend (not telling) to the very end when good overcame evil (It's a fairy tale people!)
Snow is the soon to be queen. Her loving stepmother has groomed her from childhood, guarded over her kingdom for her, and found her a prince who will accept her with all her flaws. Trained and protected by her seven (OMG people the names 🤣 ) she is ready to take her throne.
Her life is poetically perfect.
NOT
First off Snow is a challenging handful of fiery temptation. Don't for once believe the sweet and innocent facade this one portrays. Under all that submissive head bobbing is one dangerous woman.
Fate can be such a manipulative and cruel mistress. A few times I wish I could have reached in and comforted her, reminded her she was not alone. Despite the horrors that are unveiled and the hurdles, she had to overcome, she never falters - Yes, she takes a moment to play in the pity pool (who wouldn't) but then she dries off Dons her quiver and Takes no prisoners!
I was so proud of her (happy tears) My kind of heroine
I know, I know, I am rambling but HELLO I have so many emotions swirling through me I want to share with you
Alpha Kazek -
I licked him he is mine (wanted to clarify that real quick)
He was perfect 🤗
He was a true Alpha. He had no problems taking control by whatever means necessary. He had that bloodthirsty steak that brings everyone to their knees and most importantly? He was fair, just and oh so smexy (again fairy tale here folks)
This is my favorite of the Clan series and Sinister release to date. How Foss can craft such perfectly perverse and entertaining tales, each one better than the last still amazes me.
One of my one-click authors - she has never failed to deliver.
This is an omegaverse tale full of Alphas and Betas and a lowly Omega here and there...
It has power plays, violence, blood, and sex all interwoven in one of this year's absolute must-read tales
Just one click this is one you will want to read over and over 
#XClan #Omegaverse #postapocalyptic  #darkromance #shifters #LexiCFoss 
Amazon

Shadow Man (Grayson Duet #1)Shadow Man by Catherine Wiltcher
Description:
Cause and consequence: Two words that haunt me. When I was stolen, I learned to hate. When he saved me, I learned to fear. I ran from him, following a trail of the dead, from Miami all the way to Colombia. Now I’ve fallen into darkness again, and he’s the only one I see. But he’s a shadow man. A bad man.  A soldier. A killer.
The red right hand to the devil himself. We’re a dirty contradiction: I’m the girl who can’t be touched, whom he refuses to set free. We’re a dangerous obsession: There’s damage running deep in both of our souls. Caught up in a cartel war I want no part of. Trapped between love and hate. One night will change everything...
Our Thoughts 💭:
The Santiago Cartel continues
"Because I will hang my promise around my neck for all to see, my Luna girl. I will hang it there to remind you of just how flicking committed I am to it."
That about sums up this eposode
Anna is so lost.
Trapped in the darkness of her memories. Its easier sometimes to believe the bad -
To drown the pain - than it is to face it.
To fight your way out of the darkness not knowing what is on the otherside.
But her Shadow-
he is keeping his promise.
He will be there keeping her safe until she is ready to step into the light.
Shots fired!
This was intense from the moment our girl picked up that $20.00 to the final pull of the trigger.
Each page revealed another twist,
Another betrayal.
Another wound.
I couldn't look away.
An insidious blend of suspense and romance.
How Wiltcher balances it so flawlessly amazes me.
Don't pass this one up and if you haven't read Dante's story - might I suggest grabbing the set?
You won't be disappointed. 
#shadowman #mafia #romance #organizedcrime #catherinewiltcher
Amazon

A Wolf's Treasure (The Kincaid Werewolves #5)A Wolf's Treasure by L.E. Wilson
Description:
He's a danger to her life, and a risk she's willing to take.
With his I-know-what-you-look-like-naked green eyes, sexy brogue, and cocky grin, Duncan is the type of wolf Ryanne wouldn't normally waste her time with for more than a night. But underneath the playful exterior, she senses a haunting sadness, one that calls to her own dark soul and distracts her from her purpose.
The murder will just have to wait. 
Our Thoughts 💭:
As is my habit I dropped into this series without any back story
and Ohhhh but am I glad I did.
One minute everything was flowing along and the next we were being tossed about in a whirlwind of twisted suspense
I love 💓 a good PNR especially when the series is built around a solid story line as this one is.
I was totally captivated by Duncan's sexy drawl (lawd a good Scottish man gets me every time) and his sense of self was balanced - he enjoyed good conversation, making a woman feel special (there is a story behind that but you are going to have to read it yourself). And the man can dance and four-wheel and...
You get the idea 🤗.
He wasn't perfect mind you. He let past prejudices cloud his judgment occasionally but I'm giving him a pass those few times - circumstances and all that.
Rayanne is the feisty overly curious female that seems to have taken an interest in him or she just may be stalking him. Who knows?
When their paths finally intercept they find themselves not only battling the pull toward the other but also trying to stay one step ahead of a nefarious enemy. One who wants one-party annihilated and the other broken bent to their will.
These two together 😍
Duncan has some trauma from the war that Rayanne triggers memories of.
I may have shed a tear during this scene. He is so conflicted and she is so patient.
Can two opposing sides find a balance?
Can they work together to stop the enemy?
I can't wait to start this series from the beginning.
Even though I was missing a lot of facts and past events I still found myself easily connecting with the cast. I was intrigued by the developing story line enough to want to go back and get the whys and hows.
#kincaidwolves #PNR #shifters #romanticsuspense #lewilson
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google  Apple

World for the BrokenWorld for the Broken by Elexis Bell
Description:
Can one broken soul mend another when even the world itself has given up the ghost? Fading into unconsciousness, Christian watches psychotic thugs drag his sister-in-law and nephew away to suffer in the city they just escaped. Left for dead near his brother's corpse, he has but one hope for survival, rely on the pretty stranger who stumbled across him. Not exactly smart after the apocalypse.
Encumbered by the lingering effects of her own violent past, Chloe struggles against her need for independence. Trusting a stranger found lying in the snow is risky, to say the least. Yet, she patches him up. As they strive to rebuild their hearts, the harsh world they've been thrust into promises to tear them apart. Because Christian's rescue attempt can't wait. Every second in Chloe's idyllic hometown means another second of pain for Christian's family, leaving Chloe with a choice. Risk her life to help Christian save his family? Or condemn them all to a slow death? 
Fans of gut-wrenching drama and dark humor will love this tongue-in-cheek post-apocalyptic romance.
Our Thoughts 💭:
I wanted more! This wraps up with a HEA but I'm hoping some of the characters will get a chance to tell their story. I sorta kinda got attached to them.
I liked the way the foundation was set for the story line and how the character's personality traits were explained. We were transported to the past pre-apocalypse and given snippets of history in the form of cast members' memories.
This was done almost flawlessly easy to follow and definitely had an emotional impact on me when it came to how I connected with each of them
The multiple characters POV is something I liked. For me, it allowed a stronger emotional attachment
The difference in towns - WOW
This is a slow build romance but I felt it was more of an IDK (?) story of human kindness, survival, the will to go on
The contrast between the possibilities was frightening. We were given multiple looks at very possible realities both physically, emotionally and socially.
Definitely recommend.
There are some pretty graphic moments as well as some very emotional scenes. But they are not gratuitous IMO - just a necessary evil.
#worldforthebroken #postapocalyptic #action #adventure #elexisbell
Amazon

Master of Salt & BonesMaster of Salt & Bones by Keri Lake
Description:
When I was a little girl, I dreamed a handsome knight would come and rescue me from my wretched mother. He'd ride up on his white steed and break the curse I've been fated to carry since the day I was born. Funny how things changed over time. How the fairy tale twisted into something far more crooked, darker than I ever imagined. In reality, my knight is scarred and broken, living alone in a castle of bones that overlooks the sea. He isn’t searching for me. He never was. Lucian Blackthorne is as cursed as I am, and equally shunned by the locals, the fishers of men, who believe him to be the devil in the flesh. Perhaps he is, with the way his amber eyes draw me in, ignite me like an infernal blaze. And the sins he whispers in my ear are as wickedly intoxicating as the man himself. Yet, his touch is heaven and his will is my weakness. He calls us forbidden, an unsalvageable tragedy, with no happy end. Maybe we are. But in this story, he’s the one who needs saving.
Our Thoughts 💭:
"What kind of curiosities plague the mind of a devil?"
This was a cornucopia of emotions
- loss - anger - fear - pain - love - hope - desire - sacrifice
It was all here, overflowing within the pages
It wasn't just a romance. You know; two souls who were lost and fought against the odds and ended up sappily in love. This was so much more.
There was trauma. There were secrets.
There were some pretty disgusting and/or misdirected bad guys/gals (I'm not telling).
There was a little push, then a little pull
There were twists wrought with "who done it" moments that left my heart beating a little faster - my palms a little sweaty
"When you feel dead inside, you inevitably reach for things that make you feel alive, Pain. Adrenaline. Drugs. That's how vices are born. That's how you became my obsession."
Lucian's past was so haunting.
It was an actual presence that cloaked his being.
A chill that never leaves your bones.
There was so much to Lucian.
His fractured mind. His experiences real or imagined. His loss.
My heart broke for the child that could have been.
For the man that was.
"Like a breath of air after drowning"
Isadora was such a vibrant breath of air. She had her demons as well but she was young and her view of the world was not quite as skewed as Lucian's.
She still held a bit of sunshine and hope.
She still believed in her dreams.
I will say I wish the story was a touch longer -
No, this time it isn't just me being greedy. There were scenes both current and background that I wish we had gotten to spend some more time exploring
I would have liked more time spent with the Isadora and her family.
More time watching her and Lucian come to terms with "them".
Definitely would have liked more on Lucian's family and his childhood.
Did I want more of the why's? "How"'s?
How could you/they?
I got the base idea but still why?
To what end?
Maybe I am just being greedy...
#masterofsaltbones #OrganizedCrime #PsychologicalThrillers #RomanticSuspense #kerilake
Amazon

The Trouble with Beasts (Howl for the Damned, #1)The Trouble with Beasts by D. Fischer
Description:
Bitten by secrets. Broken by truths. That's the trouble with beasts.From bestselling and award-winning author D. Fischer, arrives the highly anticipated Howl for the Damned, a series for fans of Mercy Thompson, Bitten, and Alpha and Omega.All Jinx Whitethorn wants is to discover a life outside of a coven she could never fit in with. She's a witch born without magic, and a woman with a handful of problems to keep her company at night.Determined to find some answers, Jinx digs through old family secrets layered with choices of desire and loyalty. What she learns about herself makes her wish she never went looking for answers in the first place.Jacob Trent, the alpha of the local Riva Pack, stumbles into the middle of Jinx's secret while trying to solve several shifter murders in the nearby town his pack protects. She's a threat. Dangerous. An impossibility. While bringing the troubling woman to heel, Jacob discovers Jinx's family history has made her the prey of a hunt she isn't prepared for. The Trouble with Beasts in the first book in Howl for the Damned, a series based in the world of D. Fischer's Divinus Kingdom. Divinus Kingdom is interconnecting novels that branch one series to the next. 
Our Thoughts 💭:
Don't pass this one up
I wasn't sure what to expect going in. I will be honest when I saw a quote with the comparison to the Mercy series I laughed.
I'm not laughing anymore.
Fischer brought her A-game
I don't give a lot of 5-star 🌟reviews.
A story has to truly entrance me, engage all my emotions.
It has to keep me up well past the witching hour.
The trouble with beasts did that.
I truly felt a part of the pack.
The world-building was stunningly crafted.
I felt the rain beating on my skin, the heat from the sun warming my face.
The story line was easy to follow
Jinx is a witch with no magic. Never quite feeling like she fits she strikes out from the coven to find herself. This lands her living above Cinder's bar.
Let's just say life from there forward is full of one near miss after another.
The cast members - Loved, Loved them!
Jinx - I think her name pretty much sums up her life
A sassy little bundle of dynamite
Jacob is the local pack Alpha. He is strict but fair -
He has some past ghosts that haunt him
Cinder has taken Jinx under his wing he is a bit of a player
Glenda is the grandma who takes no lip
Reese is the packs' doctor who has an unrequited crush on a certain alpha
Amelia is the psychologist who is trying to mend the emotional wounds the war left behind
Sara is a witch and Jinx's BFF
There are quite a few more characters but you get the idea
A well-rounded cast that compliments the story and each other
There are a few small scene errors and some minor issues that pulled me from the story - normally yes, that would knock down my rating right away. But when I stumble across a story that truly captivates me and leaves me hesitant to close the pages I make exceptions.
That is what a fictional world should do, yes?
Keep me captivated, provide a chance to be someone or somewhere else?
I will be moving on to the next in series (it is in KU)
#thetroublewithbeasts #paranormal #shifters #suspense #dfischer

Comments