Skip to main content

Our Book Picks for the Week of Sept 27th 💖 Reviews and Recommendations

📚 Our Book Picks for the Week 📚

Reviews and Recommendations

Sept 27th


💥 A Hellion Heart by Claire Marta

🙊 The Secrets We Hide by Becca Steele

🏴‍☠️ Sea of Ruin by Pam Godwin

💘 Grant's Heat by Angel Payne

👑 Crowned by Hate by Amo Jones

🧛 Instinct by Hanleigh Bradley


See all of our reviews and recommendations

Amazon  BookBub  Goodreads




A Hellion Heart (Ceasefire, #4)A Hellion Heart by Claire Marta
Blurb:
The thief with the fierce yellow eyes.
My biggest mistake was sleeping with her.
Now she's ours to claim.
Hired by the Devil himself to finish a job, it will cost me and my brothers our lives if we don't complete it.
When dark and dangerous secrets bleed into our path, claiming our feisty female might come at a steep price.
Throw the insanity of Karma into the mix, and none of us might get out alive.
Our Thoughts 💭:
The magic continues!
I'm a bit pissed at "Lucy" - You have done some pretty low things but what you pulled here?
I'm hoping retribution finds you
Jinx don't ever let anyone snuff out your fire!
You have overcome so much adversity - I know you are hurting and at times it is hard to find the light through all this darkness
- Believe in you -
Cade you kinda messed up 🤦‍♀️
Benson, you can be the biggest cuddle bug and still manage to be an arse - what's with the sexist stuff?
Ryan I'm not going to pick on you because you are in for enough trauma.
Dev I can only hope you get everything you deserve
Karma I get it
This episode tore me up a bit. I knew things were going to get rough for our little band of travelers but I could never have foreseen the horrors they were going to face. The losses they would suffer.
I was excited to spend time with some of my favorites again and we get to meet some new ones.
This touts itself as a standalone and it is easy to follow but I do suggest starting this series, if you can, from the beginning.
IMO it will give you a greater sense of the world that Marta has built. More of an understanding of the events and cast members.
Overall just a more intense journey.
This can be read as a standalone
#ceasefire #ahellionheart #dark #paranormal #romance #clairemarta #ku
Amazon

The Secrets We Hide (The Four, #2)The Secrets We Hide by Becca Steele
Blurb:
Eeny, meeny, miny, mo. I’ve got a secret you don’t know.
Caiden Cavendish is under my skin. The Four have switched from being my enemies to my closest friends.
But not everything has changed. Two truths remain...my life is still in danger, and my mother is hiding something.
So many questions, and no answers.
What secrets lie buried in Alstone?
The lies, the secrets, they’ll come undone.
I'm the monster you can't outrun.
Our Thoughts 💭:
"I see you"
It could be the insanity of quarantine but multiple times throughout this episode I kept thinking of scooby mysteries and how the gang was always running in multiple directions. Each member had something to contribute to the overall team.
Admittedly with a lot more sex and blatant drug/ alcohol use
but whatever 🤷‍♀️🤣
Don't hold it against the cast -
This felt more IDK? Lots of mystery and suspense to keep me on edge from the opening to the cliffhanging end. It was like each chapter presented a new clue but with each step forward we made we were taking two back.
So many questions 😤
Nothing fit
Then it ends on a cliffy!
But!
With a major clue!
Caiden is starting to come to terms with his ghosts.
Winter is finding her own strength and acceptance
And Z ... Something is up with our dark knight
UGGGHHH!!!
I need to know how this all twists together!
I know some of the who's and I have some ideas of the whys
I don't think everyone is who they think they are
Confusing is it not?
#thesecretswehide #thefour #college #bullyromance #beccasteele #ku
Amazon

Sea of RuinSea of Ruin by Pam Godwin
Blurb:
Bennett Sharp is on the run.
Wanted for piracy, she fears neither God nor death nor man.
Except Priest Farrell.
The unfaithful, stormy-eyed libertine hunts her with terrifying possessiveness. Nothing will stop him from coming for her. Not his unforgivable betrayal. Not when she’s captured by the ice-cold pirate hunter, Lord Ashley Cutler.
She must escape Ashley’s prison and Priest’s deceit. But can she walk away from their twisted desires?
Two gorgeous captains stand on opposite sides of the law. When they collide in a battle to protect her, the lines blur between enemies and lovers.
Passion heats, secrets unravel, and hearts entangle until they break.
Can love prevail in the sea of ruin?
Our Thoughts 💭:
No Spoilers -
this is one of those the less you know going in the more intense the overall experience
And it delivers
Trust me 😇
"Today, Jobah said, slowly shaping his lips around each syllable, isn't your day"
I need to collect my thoughts and avoid any spoilers
I'll be back on the morrow with a full edict ☠
How do I tell you how this story made me cry, made me laugh, made me almost revisit my lunch - Without spoiling it for you?
It was well written - the research showed
The characters - I couldn't help but love them or in some cases extreme, and I do mean extreme, loathing occurred
The telling itself?
I was there I could feel the cold mist of the sea on my face
The sting of the salt on my lips
The tension right before the battle
The slight fear of what was yet to come
Every painful blow
How do I share all that with you?
"With every vile life that I took, I felt replete. I was a pirate captain, a rebel queen of the sea., fighting against the conformities of society."
Captain Bennet is our mighty heroine in this story. She has earned the respect of her men. She has earned her name on the seas. She can stand rounds and continue standing with the best of them.
She has secrets.
"Unbending. Deadlocked. He wanted to entangle our future. I wanted to undo our past."
Priest - 'Posideions wrath' hand me a fan than man had my heart a pounding.
The first mate Reynolds ever devoted to his Captain
And lest us not forget the King's man Ashley - he is one that is sure to cause your knees a quaking
This had everything!!
Adventure around every corner
Battles at sea -
Heartbreak -
Vile atrocious evils (check the warnings here) -
Storms - and
TREASURE!
#seaofruin #action #adventure #erotic #romance #pirates #historical #pamgodwin
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google  Apple

Grant's HeatGrant's Heat by Angel Payne
Blurb:
Is ignoring the heat a recipe for disaster?
Grant Twombley has it all—a successful career, a contacts list full of gorgeous and willing bedmates, and the ear of Los Angeles’s most prominent captain of industry.
But being Sebastian Shark’s right-hand man isn’t without its challenges. Messy ones. Unknown forces still work to take down Shark Enterprises, and Grant’s full focus is needed to protect their empire. But he’s sitting on a scandalous secret. A truth he can’t even share with his best friend. Until disaster strikes.
Rio Gibson carries dark secrets of her own. She hides them well…until her world is shattered. She holds Shark responsible, but the only person she shares her suspicions with is also the man closest to him—the giving, gorgeous man who makes her feel so many new and surprising things. Dangerous things.
But Rio’s used to handling the heat in the kitchen, and she can handle this challenge too. Getting out simply isn’t an option—no matter how bad it’ll burn in the end.
Our Thoughts 💭:
I've had a love-hate relationship with Bas since the beginning.
Abbi, I had more faith in her. Right now?
I hope the swell from the incoming storm washes them both away!
I don't want to spoil this...
So you remember what a player Grant is?
Living life to the fullest?
Always the comedic relief?
No strings attached love 'em till they worship at your alter man w40re?
He just found his goddess.
Rio, I'm so sorry.
The emotions this brought forth - I feel like I survived a tornado.
Laughter, friendship, heartache, fear, hopelessness, the deep pain of betrayal - It is all here.
I was laughing one minute and my heart was shattering the next.
So lost
So alone
I am afraid to close my eyes
This ends on a sad note or maybe... I am not sure how to word it.
I have hope but I know the journey is going to be hard. It will test the bonds of friendship. Some will not survive others will become unbreakable. 
#grantsheat #sharksedge #contemporary #romance #angelpayne #victoriablue
Some would say I have a privileged life. Daughter of the current President of the United States, wealthy, famous, and all things that some girls wish they had.
Only I'd dream of having a simple life. A life where I wasn't marrying the scariest man I have ever met. Well, I thought I had just met him, but it turns out, there's so much I don't know about myself. That's all thanks to a past so twisted, so warped, that no amount of money, or presidential status could wipe it clean.
I'm the rebel child. Or as some may see it, the disappointment. I’ve never cared about expensive wedding gowns, or how much someone paid for a tailored suit. I don’t care if your wedding dress is from Walmart, or if it’s from some fancy, upscale designer line.
So why am I marrying the devil dressed in a thousand-dollar suit?
I'm about to find out how I got here. To marrying one of the most powerful men in the country. The road to finding out, though, is paved with darkness, painted with the blood of innocents, and it leads my ass straight to hell. Only this hell is a multi-million-dollar penthouse suite in New York City where Bryant Saint Royal, sits on his throne. 
Our Thoughts 💭:
Holy what in the absolute mind games did I just read?
I'm honestly not sure if I'm more shocked or pissed!
I can't really tell you anything about the tale because I'm not even sure what to say.
Isa, I guess I can start with her. She is a little lady wh ore -
Yes, same as man wh ore just with different bits.
Don't judge her she is very upfront with her needs, she doesn't lie or mislead with her intentions.
We get glimpses of her past "adventures"
Little pieces of the puzzle that gives us some whys but really are more like teasers that leave us with more questions than answers
Bryant- still haven't figured him out
Devon - sexy best friend with benefits and ?
If you have ever taken the chance and adventured into one of Jones' previous works then you know to never believe anything you see and to always expect the unexpected
Crowned is no exception
I'm still reeling in the revelations and confused as duck!
#crownedbyhate #darkromance #suspense #newadult #amojones
Amazon

InstinctInstinct by Hanleigh Bradley
Blurb:
I'm not like the vampires in your books, little girl. I'm not agonizing over my own soul or the ethics of drinking your blood. I don't want saving or to find some great love that will alter my very existence.
I'm not a monster. I'm the devil himself and I have no problem playing that role.
I take what I want and right now, what I want is you...
And there's nothing you can do to stop me
Our Thoughts 💭:
This is a short story that introduces us to Everette a very old, very much an arse, royal vampire
And his deliciously sweet but a bit 'airish' (I say that with the kindest of thoughts) prey.
Multiple times throughout this story I found myself laughing at Everette - His behaviors and responses are a comical example of the age-old adage about how a woman's "essence" can make the strongest of men nothing but putty. 🤣
This sets the tone for the series and gives us a bit of background - not a lot mind you. Things are still very vague.
In my opinion it is more of a teaser -
And it worked by the way
I want to know what is behind the curtain!
#instinct #theelite #paranormal #romance #vampire #hanleighbradley

Comments