Skip to main content

Our Book Picks for the Week of Sept 6th 💖 Reviews and Recommendations


📚 Our Book Picks for the Week 📚
 Reviews and Recommendations
Sept 6th

🔗 Mine by Elena M. Reyes
⚖️ Reckoning by Riley Ashby
🐺 Midnight Fury by L. Ann
☠️ Renegades by Natalie Bennett
🏫 Rebellion by Siobhan Davis
💧 His by Natasha Knight





Mine (Beautiful Sinner Series Book 3)Mine by Elena M. Reyes
Description:
In Miami, I’m royalty. The beginning and the end.
I’m the truth my queen will never escape.
Thiago Rivera De Leon doesn’t believe in second chances, and I never show mercy to those stupid enough to cross me. Loyalty wins you favors but trying to overthrow the city’s king will find you with one of my bullets between the eyes.
My Thoughts 💭:
Thiago -
Dark
Dangerous
Deadly
MINE
The depths that he went to and was willing to go to for his Luna.
He protected her then and he will protect her now.
Even if his little Luna doesn't understand.
Luna does her best to deny the beast but the magic he weaves
- even the goddess of the moon can't resist that call.
This may very well be my favorite
Thiago's intensity
The way he carried his power
The push and pull between him and Luna - off the charts
As Thiago takes his revenge and reaffirms his crown a darker truth comes to light leaving Luna to chose between the man who holds her heart and has become her world and those who gave her breath
Be prepared to read this in one sitting - it was that intense
This is the third book in the series and they only get better
- if that is even possible
Reyes somehow crafts an almost perfect Alpha male in each of her leading men.
Each is powerful, ruthless, they have no qualms with removing each of your limbs with a butter knife while making you assist (yeah, no, I am not kidding).
They command respect
They put family loyalty above all else
They place the woman who holds their heart upon a pillar
- Protected - Revered - a queen to be Worshiped
I can not wait to see who's next though I think I know
#contemporary #romanticsuspense #organizedcrime #elenamreyes #kindleunlimited
Amazon

ReckoningReckoning by Riley Ashby
Description:
Once upon a time, there was a princess.
She wasn’t a real princess, but her parents treated her like one because they loved her so much. And she always dreamed that one day, she’d meet a prince. But before that prince could arrive, a villain showed up instead.
He swept her off her feet, not with love but with threats.
He took her away, not to a castle but to a prison.
My Thoughts 💭:
Where to even start?
How about our villain?
Or one of them - The leader of this little nightmare
Just a heads up a lot is going on in the background of this story so look for breadcrumbs
Back to Daddy psycho douche
I actually got queasy a couple of times when it came to his character - He wasn't just some lost soul who could be saved I truly believe that the man had no soul - never did
His warped sense of reality is the catalyst for the events that trigger this tragic tale
Meyer is our antihero, or I hope he will eventually be a hero when it comes to Madeline.
He is having a little trouble locating his spine at the moment.
Though to be fair he may require a miracle himself, just my opinion there. He is not impressing me at the moment.
Mads is a little hellion - She impresses me. She can take just about anything you throw at her and just pops right back up. I will admit her early capitulation irked me a bit but hellllooooo it is a dark romance-themed story
Oh and sister dear - I'll let you figure that one out on your own
I want to mention real quick only because I know I shouldn't have but after reading a certain scene my first thought was that line from the horror film "it rubs the lotion on the skin " yeah completely inappropriate but I'm sure you'll recognize it when you read it🤣
Back to the story. This was a good read overall. I do wish certain scenes had been expanded on. I realize it may have been a trilogy then but it would have, for me anyway, enabled me to possibly immerse myself a bit more in the story line. I didn't get to connect as closely as I would have preferred. Some scenes travel so far outside the realm of plausible that it took me a moment to assimilate them. How did you heal so quickly? Why would you just walk away? Seriously that is your answer?
I guess I would have liked more details - again that is me
Why? Who? How???
This ends on a cliffy you see coming
Does it make it easier to handle?
No
Does it make it easier to wait?
No 😳 
#darkromance #newadult #rileyashby
Amazon 

Midnight Fury (Midnight Pack, #4)Midnight Fury by L. Ann
Description:
Jaden never wanted a mate ...
But fate had other plans and now he not only has a mate, it’s also one he didn’t ask for.
Still recovering from his capture and abuse at the hands of the Collector, Jaden wants revenge. But things aren’t what they seem and the female he’s been forced to bond with comes with secrets that could destroy what is left of his control.

My Thoughts 💭:
I knew Jaden would screw this up!
I get that he was angry, he felt helpless and emasculated -
It is easier sometimes to have something or someone, in this case, to blame instead of facing the emotional pain head-on.
Before I go further - if you are new to the series these are not standalone. The series is a compilation of running episodes that highlight specific couples and events.
Anyway back to Jaden - Thank goodness for Cormac and if you can believe it Deacon 😳 (I know I couldn't believe it either ) for forcing Jaden to step back and see the truth. To help him acknowledge what happened and that how he was feeling was okay.
It is not easy facing traumatic events but Jaden wasn't alone the pack was there for him even when he didn't want to acknowledge it.
Skye, such a heart. She actually tried to protect Mr. "Its all your fault" - even when he treated her like she was lower than the dirt on his shoes. I might be a bit mad at him for his behavior or a lot mad really.
She sacrificed everything for the safety and sanity of others sometimes without thinking the plan through (a bit of the plot there). She also has an unhealthy habit of redirecting the blame onto herself instead of letting it fall where it should. I do admire her emotional strength though she never truly faltered in her beliefs.
I am not going to rehash the blurb or spoil all the wonderfully delicious moments that make this a Five Paw series.
I will, however, suggest you grab some popcorn
- there is a lot of back and forth and "you go girl" moments.
Settle into your favorite reading spot and enjoy some quality time with the Midnight Pack.
Trust me can't go wrong here.
#paranormal #romance #mustread #shifters #lann #kindleunlimited
Amazon

Renegades (Badlands: Next Generation #3)Renegades by Natalie Bennett
Description:
Of the devil's flesh and bone, the prince is ready to claim his throne.
I want power.
Cam wants penance.
I've got a black cult backing my decisions.
He's got demons hungry for carnage.
Everything was going smoothly.
Until her.
She's the forbidden fruit we're supposed to beware of, but something carnal is growing between us.
Now, with tensions mounting between various factions, a bloodbath looms on the horizon. Chaos and destruction start to erupt across the Badlands. Everything comes down to one thing.
Survival of the worst.
My Thoughts 💭:
A small moment of peace before all he 'll breaks loose
I wondered how Bennett was going to approach Luce's story
How she was going to piece back together all the broken parts
When I last visited the Badlands there was so much pain
Betrayal heavily blanketed the Savages' family
But the OG's knew they had to step back
That some lessons could only be learned first hand
The only way to properly baptize the next generation was in a river of crimson -
Only the strongest would make it to the other side
Star was running for her life
She had played meek
She had played the devil's advocate for the sake of survival
It was time for freedom
And she was betting her life that anything was better beyond these walls
Star is ... She is hardened but naive. Not dumb naive far from that. She has lived most of her life listening to the same propaganda over and over. She has lived sequestered within the walls of "safety". Her only memory of the outside is a bit hazy and warped by what she has been told over the years. When she is given the chance to escape the horror that is her life she takes it. Only to find she has traded one cage for another.
Luce was bored
He needed a new toy
His prayers were answered
Some things are just meant to be and I think the draw between Luce and Star was predestined
OMG just wait until everything unfolds!
There are so many secrets and behind the scenes "sleight of hand" transactions occurring
The enemy is family or is family the enemy?
The truth as you knew it? All lies
The direction Bennett is taking this series is intense (for lack of a better word) 
#dark #postapocalyptic #dystopian #romance #horror #nataliebennett #kindleunlimited  
Amazon

Rebellion (The Sainthood - Boys of Lowell High, #2)Rebellion by Siobhan Davis
Description:
Saint is used to calling the shots, but there are new rules, my rules, and if he wants me in his life, and in his bed, he’ll toe the line. They all will, because I can’t pull this off alone, and they owe me. Sinner thinks he’s in control, but forcing me into initiation plays right into my hands. War has come to Lowell as rival gangs battle The Sainthood for ultimate power, and I enjoy rebelling from the inside, placing more obstacles in Sinner’s path while I exact my revenge. But I’m not some innocent thirteen-year-old anymore—I have blood on my hands and lethal enemies on my tail.
My Thoughts 💭:
I knew this was going to be a wild ride
But when the closet door opens and everyone's skeletons start dancing about
Yeah - sooooo was not ready for that
Things are a touch more twisted in this episode. We are given some glimpses at our cast's histories.
Some of the whys, who's and how's that brought them to this point - Naturally it wasn't enough to answer all my questions. Come on where would be the fun in that?
There are a lot of revelations that left me a touch breathless along with some moments that might have caused me a bit of emesis - seriously "Ewwww no" moments
This is where the bad guys get a whole lot badder (my review my words) and I am not sure who the good guys are anymore. I do know the twists are more twisted and the mystery has become a touch more convoluted.
Lo is going to get her answers, her moment of revenge and she is going to do it her way.
She was a serious spitfire in book one - wait till you see her rise from the ashes - I am almost ready to pitch for the other team.
Can Saintly's little crew work out their differences?
Can one small band - with a little outside help (so not telling)- bring down two enemy camps, get the truth and their revenge without casualties?
And as I'm sure you suspected this ends on a breath-stealing holy heck I so saw that coming "OMG Gawd No" cliffhanger...
See you back here for the conclusion 
#bullyromance #darkromance #highschoolbullyromance #siobhandavis #kindleunlimited
Amazon

His (Ties That Bind, #2)His by Natasha Knight
Description:
I’ve been in hiding for four years. On the run from the man in whose bed I once slept. I saw something I shouldn’t have seen. 
Took something I shouldn’t have taken. And he’s just found me. But it’s not just my safety I have to worry about. I have a little boy. His little boy. The secret baby of a Russian mobster. 
He told me in no uncertain terms that I’m his. That we would be a family. But his uncle still wants me dead and I know the man who's been hunting me is the only one who can keep us safe. 
My Thoughts 💭:
Tissue - Check
Emotional support pillow - Check
Adult beverage - Check
Next, find a quiet place.
Lock the doors and settle in for one emotionally intense heart-stopping conclusion
A little warning:
Do NOT eat beforehand (comfort foods do not count) - just trust me
Kat is still a refreshing mix of stubborn and innocence -
Life is tossing her about like a skittle in a snowstorm -
and still, she stands, unwilling to succumb to the chaos.
I think in this episode she grew so much, became more. IDK.
It's hard to put into words but she took what was thrown at her-
the small happy moments, the heart wrenching sad ones,
all the ugly and the bad - and she owned it - sure not always graciously - but come on!
Lev may have proven himself - Okay fine I forgive him.
The pieces slowly fall into place as Lev looks for a way to protect his new family. As each truth is revealed (and wow are there some "NO Flippin way" moments) Lev and Kat find themselves in a war against time with Vasily and his henchmen while at the same time trying desperately to form a foundation for their very new and rocky relationship.
Trust has to be earned past transgressions forgiven if they are to survive as a unit.
And Lev - He may have to pay the ultimate price to protect those he loves.
Tik Tok goes the clock 
#darkromance #noircrime #organizedcrime #duet #natashaknight #azavarelli



Comments