Skip to main content

Our Book Picks for the Week of Nov. 1st 💖 Reviews and Recommendations

📚 Our Book Picks for the Week 📚

Nov 1st.


❄️ A Date for Midnight by Heidi McLaughlin

🌟 Starlet by Cora Kenborn

⚖️ Corrupt: XXX Vadim Book 2 by Lana Sky

🥊 Unlikely Match by Lily Michaels

🌩️ Southern Storm by Natasha Madison

💵 Hard Earned Cash by K.L. Hiers


See all of our reviews and recommendations

Amazon  BookBub  Goodreads


A Date for Midnight (The Dating Series, #1)A Date for Midnight by Heidi McLaughlin
Blurb:
It’s New Year’s Eve and Natalie has a rare night off from her shifts at the hospital. Determined to have fun with friends, she stops at a local store for provisions.  
There, amongst the craft beer and pork rinds, she comes face to face with her high school boyfriend, Brennan McLean. He’s a rockstar. She’s a nurse. To say life led them in different directions would be putting it mildly. Still, time hasn’t lessened the electric chemistry between them. By the end of the night more was dropping than just the ball.  
Our Thoughts 💭:
I was so invested in this couple, Cruising along - Enjoying the laughs - The light angst -
Wondering how they were going to make it -
Then suddenly it ended! 😮
No kidding - yeah it was an HFN but still...
I want more of these two!!
I'm actually throwing a bit of a tantrum 😤
Sigh...
I know it is part of a running collection
Just let me stomp my feet for a bit
The cast was so easy to fall in love with.
Despite it being a quick read I was well invested by the time we got our happy for now.
Natalie is such a sweetie. She is currently between relationships and not looking for anything permanent but it looks like fate has other plans for her.
Brennan is living his dream, well sort of. Thanks to a snowstorm (and trust me he is thankful ) he will not be returning home for new years. Deciding to spend some time catching up with ol' acquaintances he heads out for the evening.
Only for Fate to place Destiny in his path.
#adateformidnight #datingseries #holiday #romance #lpdover #heidimclaughlin
Amazon

StarletStarlet by Cora Kenborn
Blurb:
Hollywood. Mafia. Secrets. Corruption.
A dark and twisted enemies-to-lovers retelling of Anastasia.
They call me America's Sweetheart.
Hollywood royalty. The last of an era.
Sole survivor of LA's most infamous crime.
I'm not any of those things.
He forced me into the spotlight.
The liar with a perfect smile and cold blue eyes.
But Alexandra Romanov’s fate won't be mine.
I'll speak her lines. I'll hit the mark. I'll strike a pose.
And when the past and present collide, I'll become their worst nightmare.
They told me to preserve the legacy.
Be careful what you ask for. . .
You just might get it.
Please be aware this book contains dark themes and sensitive subject matter that are essential to the storyline but may bother some readers.
Our Thoughts 💭:
Wow...
I don't want to give spoilers and the slightest slip could ruin the twists
And there is more than one "No way it can't be " and "What the heck" moments contained within
If you are looking for an easy read - this is sooo not it.
Multiple story lines are running alongside the main one, it is easy to follow just a lot of information.
This does start a touch choppy?
I don't like the word slow because a lot is happening and the pace moves pretty quickly. It just felt at times like I was drifting in no particular direction as the foundation was pieced together (hope that makes sense). At around 47% the walls go up and Dangggg... Don't blink - That's the best warning I can give you
Kenborn manages to tie the events together unveiling the most shockingly twisted connection of events.
Props here for the way everything tied together!
Angel shines from the opening scene through the final curtain call. She gets knocked down, battered, and betrayed yet somehow she still manages to kick arse.
Dominic, I'm giving you a pass. I think you did what you felt was right but I also think some of your choices were jaded
Another solid addition to the sinister collection
#starlet #sinisterfairytales #dark #hollywood #romance #corakenborn
Amazon

Corrupt: XXX Vadim Book 2 (Club XXX 5)Corrupt: XXX Vadim Book 2 by Lana Sky
Blurb:
With Vadim’s control stretched to its breaking point, he aims to turn the tables by enacting Tiffany’s wildest fantasies—whether she wants him to or not.
The harder she finds it to resist him, the more she becomes swept into his growing family, forced to reassess her previous boundaries.
But when Vadim’s past comes back to haunt him, the chaos threatens to ignite their budding relationship…
And destroy it for good.
This trilogy is complete
Our Thoughts 💭:
What an absolute biatch!
This ends in a moment of absolute disbelief and this was the first thought to enter my mind.
What kind of soulless wench does that?
Now that that is off my chest
Let me start with Tiff -
She had me wanting to drown her in a wine cask at the beginning of this episode. Her it's all about me, I have a list, me, me, me attitude made me cringe.
But - yes there is a but - She pulls it together, albeit slowly, reinserts her spine (seriously the wishy-washy poor me was driving me insane) and took control!
And (I might have shed a tear here) Darn if she was not impressive!
I actually might like her 🤷‍♀️
Vadim...
He holds an even bigger spot in my heart. Yeah, he has some issues he needs to deal with but watching him let down his guard, allow himself moments of weakness ... ** sigh**
Seeing the real man under all that posturing puts him in a new light.
He is a formidable opponent don't underestimate the lengths he will go to to take what he wants.
We do visit the past a few times within this story line - Some heartbreaking moments from Vadim's captivity
How can life be so darn cruel?
He is trying to put the pieces of his life back in place
So hard - He's trying
I'm not going to risk spoiling what happens here. There are so many secrets and small occurrences that threaten everything he has worked for.
Maxi - I dislike you more now than before - didn't think that was even possible.
You are a blind selfish horse's backside!
As you can tell this was a touch emotional. I still yearn for a deeper connection with Tiff and some more insight into certain events. I do see most of this being resolved in the next release if the closing scene is any determinate
#corrupt #xxx #vadim #romanticsuspense #lanasky 
Amazon

Unlikely Match (Improbable Bonds, #2)Unlikely Match by Lily Michaels
Blurb:
Almost two decades of boxing couldn’t prepare Clayton for the biggest fight of his life—one that put love on the line. Boxing had been Clayton James’ life for nearly twenty years, but the threat of a serious injury if he continued to fight forced him into retirement. Refusing to be down for the count, he carried his love of the sport into a new career as the owner of a gym. But low membership and a tightly stretched bank account mean he’s faced with closing his doors—or taking one more match to save his business. The bullying that Tyler Kirk thought he’d left behind in high school not only managed to carry over into college but also seemed worse. Being older than the average student because of the years he’d taken off to rehabilitate his sister after the accident that robbed them of their parents didn’t lessen the attacks he faced. His chance to find peace was in the meaty hands of the finely chiseled and sexy-as-hell owner of the gym he hoped could give him self-defense training.
Our Thoughts 💭:
Clayton is the big grumbily fluffy teddy bear 🧸 that you just want to cuddle with. Retired from boxing 🥊 he now operates his own gym.
Retirement started out strong. The gym was solid but over time his name is no longer on everyone's lips and things currently aren't looking so good for him
Tyler is the skinny but feisty mongoose who tests your every last nerve while at the same time he's the one you count on to keep things in check- devoted, trustworthy, caring. His world has always been a battleground of wants vs requirements. After a tragedy that takes his parents and leaves his little sister battling for normality Ty (I can call him that as we are friends now) is forced to take charge, to command everything around him.
Can two opposing forces find their balance ⚖️?
Or will Clayton's secrets tear them apart?
I really had fun with this couple.
So many unexpected developments and just 🤗 special moments
This collection has not disappointed
All the feels
Laughter
Angst
Self-growth
A bit of comedic relief
A touch fantastical at times but for me that made the events even more special
Another perfect afternoon read 🤸‍♀️ 
#unlikelymatch #improbablebonds #mmromance #gayromance #sports #lilymichaels
Amazon  Nook  Kobo 

Southern Storm (Southern, #3)Southern Storm by Natasha Madison
Blurb:
Buried secrets never stay hidden in the South.
Savannah
I’m the one who broke up the golden couple. The woman people still whisper about, point at, and give dirty looks to. Did I sleep with the prom king? No. Did I sleep with the town's golden boy on vacation from college? Yes. Did I believe that he was going to marry me? Wholeheartedly. Did he? Not even close. He got engaged right in front of me and then his father threw two hundred dollars at me and told me to take the trash out. So, I raised my son in a town where people love him because they think that his father is the sheriff. It was going great, everything was working out till my lie got out.
Beau
I was getting ready to take over the mayoral office from my father, who was my hero.
Until I heard the secret he hoped would stay buried forever.
My brother has a son, not just any son but a son with the woman who was my best friend.
The woman I secretly have loved from the moment she stood up to me and broke my nose in kindergarten.
I need to protect her and in order to do that, we need to get married.
Too bad her nightmare is my dream come true. 
Our Thoughts 💭:
I'm not sure if I want to kidnap Beau or Jacob 😍 I am going to read his story next. As usual, I sort of jumped in blindly but oh what a splash.
Let's talk Mr. Mayor. Beau... He has loved Savannah from the first moment her foot met his dangly bits - no seriously. Years ago she had a child with his best friend Jacob or so he believed ... and the unraveling of that truth is how this story begins.
Savannah from what I gathered has a history of crafting problems (she was young and I don't have all the deets so not judging her past, heaven knows we all blunder) Savannah was in love with Beau - heart, and soul. He was her best friend, her shoulder she knew she could never tell him - a little piece of him was far better than nothing at all. Then fate played her hand and Savannah lost everything.
Just as the lies are unraveling and friendships are being tested someone has decided Savannah needs to go.
Can Beau stop the culprit?
Will he find a way to tell Savannah the truth?
Or will her life be forfeit?
I'm gonna admit Savannah at times irked me. Girl you have stood tall and strong for eight years and now you are gonna tuck tail and run?
And don't you dare question yourself. He signed away all rights. Don't let simple-minded self-righteous folks dictate the direction you take your life.
Beau ... you are perfect 🤗
I can't say what exactly invested me so completely in this read.
Characters - Absolutely
The small-town feel - One of my faves
The slightly impossible possibilities - Yes mam
I do know I read this in one sitting and I want more
More of the laughs
More of the friendships
just More 
#southernstorm #smalltown #familysaga #secondchances #romance #natashamadison
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  

Hard Earned Cash (Cold Hard Cash #2)Hard Earned Cash by K.L. Hiers
Blurb:
When you belong to a man like Boss Cold, you take what he gives you. Jimmy Poe has known that since he first offered himself to the feared mob boss in payment of a debt, yet over the past year he has gotten to see a very different side of Cold. A side that made Jimmy fall in love.
But their love will be put to the test when Cold is arrested. Can the bond between them endure even as the dark shadows of Cold's past come to light and Jimmy's life is put at risk as well?
Publisher's Note: Hard Earned Cash is a sequel to Cold Hard Cash. It includes spankings and rough, intense sexual scenes. If such material offends you, please don't buy this book.
Our Thoughts 💭:
This is the second book in the duet
I was a bit lost at the opening I couldn't figure out why the cadence seemed off? It was the prologue - don't judge I was excited to see how their story played out 🙈
Anyway, after some minor tie-ups are completed from book one the real story begins.
Mr. Poe is still the hyper, cute as a button yet insecure character that I fell in love with in book one. He is young and still has a naive view of the world as a whole. Don't mistake his heart and exuberance for lacking in intelligence. He is books smart and he gets the opportunity to prove it multiple times which was fun to see.
He is just more an "in the moment" person.
As things progress in their relationship Jimmy finds the deeper his submission to Rod the more complete he feels - it's a unique balance between them and something he openly enjoys exploring.
I'm not 100% sold on Jimmy but what can I say I like his exuberance, his curiosity, the way he lives for the moment.
This time the story takes us deeper into Cold's world. We see him as the ruthless decision-maker he truly is. We see exactly how manipulative he can be while at the same time we see his vulnerability when it comes to Jimmy.
I mentioned previously that the story is a touch of a stretch when it comes to "reality" that has not changed but it works here.
We have kidnapping, extortion, murder, double agents and that is just to start.
A lot of misdirection kept me guessing. I was wrong a couple of times about certain intentions and twists 😳 and I am usually spot on.
I knocked off a couple of stars because certain scenes IMO needed more. It was not often but enough that I felt I was missing a piece of the bigger puzzle. I am greedy like that. 
#hardearnedcash #dark #mafia #romance #klheirs

Comments