Skip to main content

Our Book Picks for the Week of Nov. 22nd 💖 Thoughts and Recommendations


 📚 Our Book Picks for the Week of  Nov. 22nd

🐺 Rebel Bitten by Lexi C. Foss

🦖 Smash & Grab by Maz Maddox

💔 Heartbreak Me by T.L. Smith

🧿 Beautiful Criminal by M.N. Forgy

💠 Diamonds in the Rough by Charmaine Pauls

🌪️ God of Cooper by Nina R. Schluntz


See all of our reviews and recommendations

Amazon  BookBub  Goodreads



Rebel Bitten (Blood Alliance #4)Rebel Bitten by Lexi C. Foss
Blurb:
Once upon a time, humankind ruled the world while lycans and vampires lived in secret. This is no longer that time.
Willow
Run, run, run!
They’re chasing me, even into my dreams.
And when I awake, I see him. Striking blue eyes with a hint of the devil inside. He’s my savior and my worst nightmare combined.
Because he owns me.
He found me.
He saved me.
But I don’t want to be owned. I want to be free. Even if it kills me.
Ryder
I needed a diversion, a plaything, something to distract me from this perpetual boredom. And she appeared as if the Almighty above had heard my prayers.
Or, more accurately, the devil.
Because I’m not a good man. Humanity died inside me long ago. It was what I needed to survive.
But she’s such a pretty little thing. I think I’ll keep her and make her mine. At least for a little while. Humans are so fragile, after all.
Welcome to Ryder Region.
It might not be mine yet, but it will be soon.
For I haven’t lived this long by playing nice.
I prefer to bite.
Our Thoughts 💭:
This was ... 
Intense - emotional - soooo unexpected
This episode contains some major turning points for our band of misfits 😂 Let's be honest here they are quite the collection of personalities.
The emotional whammies begin during the opening scene and,
in true Foss fashion, do not stop!
I was a complete emotional mess -
I jest you not - I read this in one sitting
Willow awakens panicked and very confused but determined not to die at the feet of her abusers -
She didn't fight this long to give up now.
Anywhere has to better than where she is right?
Maybe not...
Returning from the debacle that was Clemente Clan Ryder happens upon Willow. Normally he would leave the dying creature to meet her fate - maybe it was boredom? - maybe the thrill of the unknown? or quite possibly it was the surprise fight in the feral creature that roused his curiosity -
Whatever it was he found himself intrigued
So - he did what he always does - what he wanted
He kept her
Let the fun begin!
I truly believe this may be the best in this series to date!
#rebelbitten #bloodalliance #gothic #paranormal #vampire #shifter #romance #lexicfoss 

Smash & Grab (RELIC #1)Smash & Grab by Maz Maddox
Blurb:
My standard issued lab badge reads ‘Simon’ but it really should say ‘unexciting nerd with no social life’
Don’t get me wrong -- I love what I do with a passion, but it doesn’t leave a lot of time for much else.
Especially romance.
While chipping away at my work, I’m suddenly the person between hired cartel muscle and the fossil that will define my career.
Which isn’t the most insane part of the story.
My savior is a chaotic, bat-wielding punk with a bubble gum pink mohawk and a killer smile.
In a mad dash to escape the thieves, my knight in studded armor sweeps me across the country while hitting every tourist trap along the way.
While smuggling a fossil, might I add.
Oh, and did I mention this pink punk can shift into a dinosaur?
Our Thoughts 💭:
Raptors and Rabbits Abound!
“When I see you, all I want is to shake my tail, feed you rabbits and keep you safe.”
What an absolute blast 💞 I can not wait to return!
I was ensnared from the opening scene -
The light-hearted zest for life that Dalton exuded had me smiling non-stop and Simon was the perfect balance to his, at times, slightly over exuberance.
Dalton, our slightly rebellious raptor, is on assignment to recover the artifact before the greedy collector's men get their hands on it -
Should be an easy grab and go. What no one foresaw was Simon, our smexy anthropologist, and slight geek.
What should have been a quick assignment a sort of prelude if you will to dinner and the big O instead becomes a road trip/adventure that will go down in the history books
I wish this was longer 😢 that was my only negative
The characters were so vivid and such fun
The chemistry between these two?
It was instant.
But come on a vibrant rule-breaking pink mohawk wielding hero and a rule-following stiff laced dirt-digging nerd?
You knew it would be love at first sight
Epic!
We get a bit of background as to how/what/who Dalton and the rest of the relic crew do and how they came to be. Not enough to quell our curiosity but enough to lay the foundation for the series.
We are briefly introduced to a couple of members, again just enough to ruffle our feathers and stir up a bit of curiosity but not enough to sate the desire for more
If you are looking for romance and comedy and the fun that comes with prehistoric pink feathered raptors this is for you 
#smashgrab #relic #fantasy #gayromance #mm #mazmaddox
Amazon

Heartbreak Me (Heartbreak Duet, #1)Heartbreak Me by T.L. Smith
Blurb:
“She doesn’t know it yet, but she is already his.”
He kidnapped me.
That was how I met Atlas Hyde.
A man known by many names and admired by all.
But most didn’t know he was ruthless, conniving, and always got what he wanted.
No matter the cost.
I was a good girl.
Never in trouble with the law.
Never took drugs.
Always did precisely what was expected of me.
Even with his hand around my throat and words that cut sharper than knives, I couldn’t help but wonder what happened to this beautiful man to make him that way.
That wonder disappeared when he threatened to kill my sister if I didn’t follow his dark demands.
The good girl I once knew had now been buried alive beneath this game of hatred and lust.
And I had a feeling Atlas Hyde never lost.
Our Thoughts 💭:
Are you kidding right now?
Atlas I hope the weight of your ego crushes your dumb arse!!!
I'm so livid right now
This ends on a cliffy and since I'm not rational I will be back to share my thoughts
So ...
When this first started I did the eye-roll 🙄 because it opens with some heartless smexy gangster picking on some sweet innocent family member for someone else's crimes.
BUT WAIT!!
It was soooooo much more than that
🤯 When the truth rolls out and all the skeletons come dancing out of people's closets (and yes people is plural here) I was like no fricking way.
At that point, I would have run. Run Far and Run Fast.
Let me say our simpering little heroine, Thea? Not so simpering. She gave Atlas a run for her money. She knew her sister, she also knew the value of some of her other friends' loyalty (I am trying not to spit out spoilers), and still, she stuck to her own beliefs even as she knew the sacrifices were one-sided.
Atlas is just an ... arse
Some of the "assignments" he gave Thea made no sense until the plot unravel even then I still think he needs to be knocked down a peg or two.
I still do not understand what he has done to earn his overinflated ego trip.
I am however hoping book two will shed some light on it.
The overall story is pretty solid with only a few areas that I wish the author had expanded on.
The chemistry between our two MC's is poignant and they connect but not in a forever way - you'll see.
I do have some questions but I think they were clues left unanswered on purpose -
We shall see
#heartbreakme #heartbreakduet #enemiestolovers #romance #tlsmith

Beautiful Criminal (Omertà Law, #1)Beautiful Criminal by M.N. Forgy
Blurb:
As the son of the infamous boss of the DeAngelo family, I have merciless duties expected of me. The public labels me a monster, a man without a soul, and one hated by many.
They’re not wrong, and I’m not sorry for it.
When my father orders me to marry a longtime enemy’s daughter to settle a score between our families, she did what any smart woman with a beating heart would do.
She ran.
So, I found her.
She tries to negotiate for her freedom, but despite being inexplicably drawn to the deviant woman, I refuse her pitiful bribes with pleasure.
I still have a job to do, and I’ll make her tell me her family’s secrets, turning a treacherous situation into a game of hatred.
A code of silence will be broken.
Lines will be crossed.
I’ll promise her freedom to get the answers I need, but I’ll burn this city to the ground before I let her go
Our Thoughts 💭:
Holy Betrayals!
"I was never really insane except upon occasions when my heart was touched" - Poe
This story?
Are ☝️ those words vivified
Leona believed she could save the world.
She was able to find light in the darkest of skies.
Despite her big heart, she was the opposite of a simpering heroine. She gave as good as she got.
Sure a lot of it was posturing but we all know "fake it till you make it" is more than just words
Kieran wants you to believe he is a heartless brute.
And he is- when it is necessary
But when you place a piece of his own heart in his hands to protect?
There is nothing he wouldn't do to ensure its safety.
Whatever it takes to brings its light to the darkest corners of his soul.
The way the author brought these two together - one of the smoothest transitions - these two complimented each other perfectly. Even as quickly as the capitulation occurred it was believable. I could feel the bond building between them.
I'm not giving away the twists - because WOW!
I went from "awww, be still my heart" one moment
To edge of my seat "oh God no!"
In the blink of an eye
And it's just beginning!
I am looking forward to what happens next
#beautifulcriminal #omertalaw #dark #romanticsuspense #mnforgy

Diamonds in the Rough (Diamonds are Forever Trilogy, #2)Diamonds in the Rough by Charmaine Pauls
Blurb:
Girls like me, we know how to survive.
We each have our own little ways, but we acquire those skills at the same tender age.
If you ask me how many times a person can die, I’ll tell you many times. As many times as a man stabs you in the stomach with betrayal and wrings out your heart with lies.
Girls like me, we live.
We don’t get a choice.
We step over the cliff and fall.
Eat, sleep, die, and repeat.
Our Thoughts 💭:
I really really disliked Maxime in book one -
Now?
I hope the next time he cliff dives the tide is out!
For a moment, thank goodness it was fleeting, I truly believed even though he could not love completely that there was a chance - not your fault Zoe I didn't see it coming either
And his family?
Scum! I have stronger words but...
This ends on a "to be continued" moment.
As with the first book in this trilogy, I feel like I'm missing something. It is most likely my greed to spend more time in their world immersed in the false bubble of love and fairy tale happiness.
Possibly I was not ready to have the blinders removed. To have my heart ripped from my chest. All hope shattered.
IDK
However this does end I can only hope Zoe finds her happily ever after.
She has been through the fires of hell and even while she was aflame never once did she let them see her pain. 
#diamondsintherough #diamondsareforever #dark #mafia #romance #charmainepauls
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google  Apple

God of CooperInfluence of a God by Nina R. Schluntz
Blurb:
Jesse has a type-the heartbroken. He doesn’t hide this fact, he’s even tattooed a damaged heart on his chest. His partners love the people who left them, which means there’s no fear of them getting attached to him. He showers them with the affection they have been deprived of and in return, he gets no string attached hook-ups.
Except for Ben.
No matter what Jesse does, when he gets drunk, its always Ben’s porch he ends up on. Which is fine, because Ben is still deeply in love with his ex-wife, even though she’s already remarried.
It might have all stayed fine, if Ben hadn’t met Cooper, the twelve-year-old stepson of Ben’s ex. He knows things he shouldn’t. He has a weird quirk of disappearing for hours. He even predicts future events with uncanny luck. And Cooper has a plan for Jesse. He wants himself and Ben’s daughter to live with Jesse and Ben. Which is a problem, because Jesse doesn’t do relationships.
To Cooper that just means Jesse needs to learn things the hard way.
"Previously published as God of Cooper by Nina R Schluntz."
Our Thoughts 💭:
What just happened
I'm not sure which held me captive more
The cast or the storyline?
I am going to admit I was a bit lost during some of the read
I was enjoying Ben and Jesse and how they were dancing around their emotional desires while speaking loud and clear with their physical. What they were defining as a friendship with benefits seemed a whole lot more.
But for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how the beginning connected with them and it was driving me nuts
Until close to the end - and even then I have all kinds of questions 🤔
Looks like many will be answered as the series progresses
I am all kinds of curious as to who the real Cooper is and what happens with the psycho wife? and who is the dad?
Jesse is a bit of a lost soul. He learned long ago that exposing your vulnerable organs (oh like say your ❤heart?) resulted in extreme pain and was definitely something to be avoided.
Been there done that had the tattoo to prove it.
Enter Ben - perfect bed buddy
He was recovering from his own betrayal so the risk of emotional attachment was null and what Jesse needed to feed his addiction
Everything seemed perfect
Until Cooper -
This was fast-paced yet not ... If that makes sense
There is a whole story going on in the background that IMO teases the reader
Jesse is such a broken soul. He is truly a selfish arse with most of the people he interacts with. It seems at times more of a defense mechanism. There is a moment (a couple actually but I think the bathroom scene was the final push that knocked him over the edge) for him, a sort of awakening when he realizes that maybe he does have a problem.
Ben was a bit too soft for me. Who goes along with a scheme like that? Who bellies up like that? Love (or the perception of) can make a person do some really dumb stuff and Ben gets the award here.
Can Ben see beyond the rose-colored lenses?
Will he find his spine in time?
Will Jesse risk his heart for an unsure love?
Can he face his demons and conquer his addiction?
Anything is possible when you have a god on your side.
#InfluenceofaGod #GodsofEarth #mm #paranormal #romance #ninaschluntz

On Twitter:
@LexiCFoss @mazmaddox @LsmithT @MNForgyAuthor @CharmainePauls @Mizner13
On Instagram:
@lexicfoss @mazmaddox @fanpageoft.l.smith_  @mnforgyauthor  @charmainepaulsbooks mizner13

Comments