Skip to main content

Our Book Picks for the Week of Nov. 8th 💖 Reviews and Recommendations

 📚 Our Book Picks for the Week of  Nov. 8th


🐴 Broken by Stacy Gail

🏒 He Shoots, He Scores by Tricia Owens

🖤 Stolen Wife by Carina Blake

🐮 Hott and Taken by Leah Sharelle

🥊 Flawed Justice by Tibby Armstrong

🩸 Absolute Power by Jeana E. Mann


See all of our reviews and recommendations


Amazon  BookBub  Goodreads



Broken (Brody Brothers Book 4)Broken by Stacy Gail
Blurb:
“The Hatfields and McCoys have nothing on the Brodys and Smileys.”
The feud was all Winnie Smiley heard about while growing up next door to those arrogant cowboys, the Brodys. Smiley homestead might be a dilapidated eyesore that she’d run away from as a teen, but it did possess something the Brodys had schemed in vain to get—Smiley Lake. Now, with the region crippled with drought and her monstrous father burning in hell, Winnie stands to inherit the lake. She knows that’s why Des is suddenly everywhere she turns, but that doesn’t matter. She’d never had a chance to grab at happiness before, so even if it’s just the lake Des wants, she’s going to make damn sure she’s part of the deal.
Our Thoughts 💭:
As I'm prone to do quite often this is the first book in this series I have read. Broken is an interconnected standalone in the series so I was okay but I am definitely going back and catching up on the rest of the family. I was a bit shocked that I somehow missed this series as I am a fan of Gail's work.
This was no exception
I laughed so hard I scared my dog - I'm not exaggerating.
Winnie stole my heart from the gate. She was a blend of absolute innocence and puffer fish.
Don't laugh I'm serious.
When that girl felt like you were questioning her "I'm fine"'s -
Her shoulders went back and her hair went up - kitten had claws!
Then we had Des, Mr. Broody (I'm aware of the extra letter).
That man could do more damage than an Angus stampede through town - Sad part was it wasn't intentional he just doesn't know any other way. He sees it - He wants it - He wrangles it. End of.
Watching him try and reign in Winnie while pacifying his brothers 🙄 and the dress shop 🤣probably one of my fave scenes in this story.
A fabulous read that had me laughing and rooting on the cast especially Des. Bless his heart.
I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series. 
#broken #brodybrothers #contemporary #western #romance #stacygail
Amazon  Kobo  Nook 

He Shoots, He Scores (Skate to Love, #1)He Shoots, He Scores by Tricia Owens
Blurb:
When superstar winger Neil Shannon is injured in the Stanley Cup Finals, he loses more than the hockey championships. With his confidence shot, his career begins to fall apart and an early retirement seems inevitable. Unwanted by his former team, Neil is traded to one that's starting over. Even worse, he's joined there by his biggest rival, the sexy Swede Adrian Magnusson. Adrian feels responsible for Neil's fall from grace and is determined to revive his career, but Neil wants to stay far away from this Swedish temptation, or else he'll lose the last thing of value he owns: his reputation.
Our Thoughts 💭:
🏒 I'm hooked
Ever read a story and it just makes sense?
Beyond the words?
The characters just clicked for you?
This was that for me 😍
I might even start watching hockey now
But seriously,
Whether you enjoy sports or not this is one you don't want to pass up
Adrian comes across to the world as the golden boy who has the world in the palm of his hand. All ego. He isn't really though. Yeah he's cocky and a touch confident but he's also caring ❤and very observant. He brought laughter with him wherever he went. I know sounds corny but he was so much more than what fans see on the ice.
Neil is dedicated to the game. He is a touch overly cautious- okay he has slight OCD when it comes to rules. But it may be just a layer of protection for him, a form of security if you will? He loves the game but he knows the world is not ready for a gay hockey player.
Both seem to be on top of the world
Both at first glance appear to have it all
Both are hiding secrets
The way this unfolded? To die for!
The back and forth between them. The emotional chemistry.
It bled off the pages.
The laughter - The desire - The fear - The love
I was hooked.
I did not want to close the pages when their story kind of came to an end...
I want more of this cast 
#heshootshescores #hockey #sportsromance #gayromance #mmromance #triciaowens
Amazon  

Stolen WifeStolen Wife by Carina Blake
Blurb:
I'll do whatever it takes to get her in my arms--even kill mybrother.
I'll do everything in my power to destroy all who comebetween us.
The second I held the wedding photo of Giada with mybrother, my revenge became tainted with possessiveness so profound that I grewcolder. Calculating. Obsessed.
I'll do anything to get my desire.
To taste her.
Giada is mine, and it doesn't matter the how or why, because she just is. I'll play her name in my head--my siren's song--as I remove her from my brother's grasp and take her for my own.
One by one, I'll get my revenge on those who sent me away while claiming what was never theirs.
Our Thoughts 💭:
I'm so lost
I feel like I missed a few chapters
Let me start with the characters
Santino is a powerful male lead. His aura commands submission from those who surround him. And the easy way he balances his need for vengeance and his desire for Giada... let's just say -
I licked him he's mine 🤷‍♀️
Moving on
Giada- her character has a strength to her that I commend and I can't really knock her instant lust with Santino as he fell to her magic upon first contact as well.
Senior Rafael is a piece of work just wait till his closest of skeletons are exposed
As for Jr. ? He just turns my stomach
There are some terrific secondary characters that IMO play pivotal roles in the overall development of the storyline and I do so hope we get there stories.
So why do I feel just a touch lost?
There were a few scenes that felt incomplete (a simplified way of wording it) not lacking details incomplete just missing pieces of the puzzle incomplete -
I had to re-read the scenes/lines multiple times and still, they didn't make sense
Despite these instances, I was very engrossed in the events and the cast
The copy I read was an ARC and noted it was not the final draft
That being said
This is one of those reads I wish the author had made a duet or even a trilogy in this particular instance
There is so much more story here with such a diverse cast of characters - Truly
From the cop who knows something is off to the Russian visitors
I would have enjoyed more time with many of them and more story 
#stolenwife #dark #romance #suspense #carinablake
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google  Apple

Hott and Taken (Hott Brothers, #1)Hott and Taken by Leah Sharelle
Blurb:
Welcome to HHH Cattle. Where triplets Lenoxx, Hendrixx and Fenixx Hott navigate their way though the minefield of love.
Lenoxx Hott once had everything he ever wanted in life, the love of the right woman and his ring on her finger. Then one day, he lost it all, changing him irrevocably.
Now, cold and untrusting, Noxx uses the pain to forge ahead and become one of Australia’s youngest and most successful CEO’s, the gaping hole in his heart serving as a reminder that he could trust no one but his brothers.
Four years after the love of his life walked away from him without an explanation, Noxx decides it is time for answers, Makena was going to tell him why she destroyed their lives whether she was ready for him or not.
Our Thoughts 💭:
I'm not normally big on western/ cowboy reads and I'm new to Sharelle's work - But...
I am so glad I took a chance to broaden my horizons!
I sorta saw where we were going with the story but unlike many reads, it still felt a bit of a surprise -
You know what's going to happen but its those details that wrench your heart
The way this was written - I was there
I laughed - little brother I'm looking forward to your story
I cried - things aren't always black and white
I fell in love - the Hott brothers are a vision to behold.
And might I say never seen a pair of wranglers look so darn good
I shall return when the the next brother is roped until then might I suggest coming on out to visit the HHH ranch?
#hottandtaken #western #contemporary #romance #hottbrothers #leahsharelle
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Apple


Flawed Justice (The Asylum Fight Club, #1)Flawed Justice by Tibby Armstrong
Blurb: 
If there were an emergency number for adulthood, Matt Kincaid would have dialed it months ago. Raising his kid brother alone is already an uphill battle, nevermind when an ugly gang initiation lands the teen in lockup. Again. Only, this time for a hate crime against a local fight club, where settling debts isn’t taken lightly. When the club offers to let Matt risk everything in a long-shot match with a man who’s as brutally handsome as he is tough, he jumps at the chance.
If Matt wins, all will be forgiven. If not? Well, he might as well move in, because ‘The Law’ will own his ass...for a very long time.
Our Thoughts 💭:
I grabbed this one during a freebie sale and can now say with all certainty I am hooked on The Asylum Fight Club series!
I really wasn't sure how this was going to work.
The Asylum which is considered a safe place, a family if you will, for "Anniston Falls’ gay leather culture". It houses a BDSM club and offers a nightly MMA style fight club where blood 🩸 and brawn 🥊 reign and differences are put to rest.
Don't know why I even hesitated.
In this first book, we are briefly introduced to most of the primary members of The Asylum and given just a glimpse of its history. Enough for us to get a vague outline going that I assume will eventually be colored in.
I know it is a lot to take in but I find with long-running series - such as this one - it is easier to move forward when a solid foundation has been set.
Matt and Law are the main romantic couple in this first book. Matt is younger and he is doing his best to provide and protect for his little brother but the streets have other ideas and he soon finds himself trading his freedom for his brother's life... Or so he thinks
Law is about as cold and distant as they come (personal opinion there). He was a little off for me in the beginning. Hard to explain but he eventually grew on me.
Law needed someone to knock some sense into him and Curtis was just the right person to push him. It was obvious to an outsider that he was not handling the loss of their partner and lover well.
After a whole lot of miscommunication, misplaced blame and learning as we stumble things begin to click into place for the men at The Asylum
Off to the second in series because I soooo want to know how things work out for Reed - I fell in love with his flamboyant backside.
This was an emotional read packed with angsty backstories, plenty of violence, action, mayhem, and family by choice.
Oh and let us not forget some of the sweetest (and a little dirty) smexy moments. 
#flawedjustice #mmromance #sports #gay #romance #biancasommerland
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google  Apple


Absolute Power (Absolute Power Duet, #1)Absolute Power by Jeana E. Mann
Blurb:
The devil in my nightmares is the man of my dreams.
For the past three years, I’ve been running from a man I’ve never met. A man who carries a grudge. A man who specializes in revenge. I thought I had it all—a career and a new home in a sleepy small town. My world comes crashing down when a sexy gang member from the city arrives at my job, wrapped in tattoos and sinful smiles. Beneath his flirtatious facade beats the heart of an angry man. I’ve committed the one sin he can never forgive. I stole from him, and he won’t be satisfied until he’s repaid with the money or my life.
Our Thoughts 💭:
This has so much potential!
The overall story - 💓 loved it!!
Thief swindles the wrong bad guy
Bad guy and thief have a mutual acquaintance
Bad guy decides Thief is a valuable asset
Bad guy pressures (nice way of putting it) thief into compliance
Add some questionable antagonists and...
💥 Bam!
Five-star story
Why did I fall short of five stars for me?
Connection - I am hoping this changes in book two. Things between our MC's clicked a bit too quick for me to feel like the draw between them was more than sexual
Foundation - This falls a bit under the above ☝️ reasons. I need a bit more background that supports the events
Solid reasoning - Why? How? and again Why?
I also had a problem with Jagger - who has to be smart to pull off her heists - Why does she allow a rose and some testosterone to sway her towards a man who is systematically destroying her business and her life? Emotionally and physically blackmailing her for no other purpose it seems than entertainment?
At no time - one rose and a few empty sweet words do not count - did Cash do anything that supported the idea that she had any worth to him besides her artistic skills and a warm hole for his pleasure
I ranted quite a bit above but that alone should tell you that I was invested in the story itself.
It was solid -
Hello!!! That plot!
All the little bread crumbs telling me there is a whole lot more here!
Cash's blonde second 💦 be still my beating heart 😍
The supporting cast?
All the components were present - but for me, it was missing a key ingredient - connection
I am hoping book two provides me with that
This does end on an "Oh No!" moment
The copy I read was comp
#absolutepower #romanticsuspense #jeanaemann

Comments