Skip to main content

Our Picks for the Week of Feb 28th๐Ÿ’– Book Thoughts and Recommendations


 

๐Ÿ“š Our Book Picks for the Week of  Feb 28th


⚖️ Beautiful Things Evil People Do by Kailee Samuels

⚗️ Fate by Emma Jaye

๐ŸŽธ Crazy Love by Madelynne Ellis

๐Ÿ‘ฐ Unholy Union by Natasha Knight

♊ The Spare - Part Two by Gemma Weir

๐Ÿ—ก️ Oath of the Alpha by Eva Dresden


See all of our reviews and recommendations

Amazon  BookBub  Goodreads 




Beautiful Things Evil People DoBeautiful Things Evil People Do by Kailee Reese Samuels
Description:
I wrote the ad to get attention.
I wanted a hot topic for my paper.
I needed to stand out in the crowd.
A few months later, he showed up.
I may have gotten more than I bargained for.
Because in my fantasy, I never thought he’d stay.
A Dark Romance, Kailee Reese Samuels’ Beautiful Things Evil People Do, is a full length, standalone with a happily ever after. Recommended for mature readers 18+, not suitable for people sensitive on hard to read dark themes. BTEPD is about meeting challenges head on, finding fearless courage within, and embracing love wherever it may lead.
Our Thoughts ๐Ÿ’ญ:
Echo you need more than a visit to the shed!
I don't want to ruin this story or rewrite the blurb
So I will give you a scene that I believe outlines the story well
"I stalked, drugged, and abducted you. What part of that screams a healthy relationship? I am toxic. We are toxic." - Jynx
"I want to be intoxicated" - Echo
This, for me, was the sweetest romance. It wasn't just about finding your soul mate and falling in love it was also about dealing with all those pesky bones hiding in the closest. Facing your fears and deciding if you want to live your life by your definition of happy or someone else's definition of happy -
Takes a lot to stand against the tide but it is always easier with someone you trust at your back
"Life bends. We sway. We can choose to flow through the obstacles or fight against one another in the challenges. "
I would have disagreed with Jynx regarding Echo - after the 3rd time I would have walked away - I am glad he was more patient than me because he was right. Echo is full of life and she was worth holding on to. She is young but she is quick to catch on and put things together. Her mind is constantly spinning and I think that was part of her problem (that and her past demons) the reason why she couldn't move past the blockage her past had created
Jynx is older and not quite who we think he is - sooooo not spoiling that surprise but as the secrets slowly unravel let's just say I was like a kid in a candy shop - He has his own demons but he is also the absolutely sweetest sadist. Quite aware of the contradiction but wait till you meet the two halves that make up the whole.
Their journey? The pitfalls that come with how they met. The links to the present they are both unaware of. The raw desire they both have for the other.
It was a perfect mess.
"we're in a constant state of metamorphosis, changing and evolving, do not hinder what is meant to be."
If you have a problem with the darker side of BDSM, the psychological as well as the physical, this is not going to be the book for you.
Echo is a masochist and one of her kinks is being the victim. Our older and quite devilishly handsome male lead is a Sadist and he also has a few darker kinks.
Both are adults and quite capable of deciding what rocks their world. If you are okay with that then I highly suggest you find a quiet place and just enjoy the beauty of their obsessions as it truly is something to behold
#beautifulthingsevilpeopledo #darkromance #gothic #fiction #standalone #fulllength #kaileesamuels

Fate (Malthusia #1)Fate by Emma Jaye
Description:
Our Perfect society is Tainted.
The Three Faced God should have chosen my Fate, should have molded me according to the needs of my fellow Malthusians, but some assume they are above even God. I should have been at least a beta, hopefully an alpha, but never this.
They thought changing my body would change my soul, that I’d be a compliant omega while they used and experimented on me. Others die, others submit, and say its their Fate. I know different. A malthusian caused this, one of my own kind. They think they’ve won, but I’ll win, simply by living another second, another day. But can I survive alone?
Our Thoughts ๐Ÿ’ญ:
I am not even sure where to start with this review -
How can I possibly put into words the heartbreaking journey that was Fate: Malthusia?
I had the opportunity to read this as a Beta reader and as an ARC reader
- but that was not enough
I also read the final release on kindle
Each time I stumbled upon something new
A disparity or imbalance that broke my heart -
So many times I just wanted to hold Tav and protect him, her, their against societies injustices - the social norms
I also found new reasons to hope, to believe, to smile -
Somehow, despite all the cruelties laid upon Tav hope was not something he,she, they surrendered. Faltered yes - just long enough to throw a small pity party
This was all the things that make a novel worth reading -
It drags you in and makes you a part of the story.
The universe building was extraordinary! The cast? Each one was unique and powerful to the story line.
This is a full-length novel that deals with real-world disparities
Not for the faint of heart
The story is our world but not -
It takes place in a parallel universe where the discrepancies we so easily dismiss on our side of the veil are not so easily overlooked here
The discrimination - The intolerance - The inequalities
Jaye holds no punches -
Fate is Brutal- Raw - Honest
No politically correct sidestepping of the truth
No hiding of the injustices, the twists of societal norms to meet the religious and political wants
Heed the warnings
If you do take this journey -
Come with an open mind
Oh and a lot of tissue, maybe a teddy for comfort, a stiff drink to wash down the painful truths
This ends on a happy enough for now but never despair as Jaye has more in store for Tav and Mir
#malthusia #fate #scifi #dark #genderfluid #mpreg #geneticengineering #suspense #lgbt #emmajaye
Amazon  

Crazy Love (The Bad Boys of Brit Pop, #1)Crazy Love by Madelynne Ellis
Description:
Meet the Bad Boys of Brit Pop!
Hot, naughty, dirty & funny... with an English accent.
Nate’s band has one chance to impress the music mogul who can catapult them into the limelight. Right on cue, he’s hit with the double whammy of an off the rails bass-player, and a missing melody.
Loveday Trevaskis is the bassist for their biggest rival, all girl band Bitch Slap, and the bad girl who cranks Nate’s libido to eleven. Could she also be the key to nailing the deal?
Our Thoughts ๐Ÿ’ญ:
Nate and his bandmates are facing a once in a lifetime chance
They are ready - sort of - Okay fine there seems to be a small kink in their plans
Feeling helpless as he watches his dreams unravel before him Nate finds himself in uncharted waters
Could the band's salvation be found in their biggest rival?
I am seriously torn with how I feel about this one
I felt like there was so much more that could have been presented in this opening story. It was like dipping your pinky into only the frosting. It was good but you wanted to taste the rest.
That was how I felt here - like I was given a taste of just about everything and everyone. Holding on to that strange analogy lol - I assume the author means this as a prequel to the series.
A chance to briefly introduce the cast and provide the reader with an introduction to the cast and teaser of what's to come
There is definitely a whole lot of possibilities presented.
Behind all the smexy scenes there was a solid story with characters I liked and am hoping to get to know better.
This whole story takes place in the span of approx 12 hrs. emphasizing how Nate and Loveday meet and how well they clicked
Both musically and physically
We also get a glimpse at the other band members' baggage - physical and emotional.
My biggest peeve was I wanted more of the story.
The author has a solid idea and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think the hot awesome sexxx between Nate and Loveday drowned it out.
I am looking forward to seeing where we are taken next -
#crazylove #badboysofbritpop #newadult #rockstar #romance #madelynneellis
Amazon  Apple   

Unholy UnionUnholy Union by Natasha Knight
Description:
Cristina. 
Monsters don’t hide in the dark. 
When I met Damian Di Santo in a dark corridor of my family home I knew he was a monster. 
I was a scared girl.
He was already a man. 
That was when his twisted countdown began.
Marked by dead roses and sharp thorns, eight years passed each bringing me closer to becoming his. Until the eve of my eighteenth birthday.
That was the night he returned to claim me. 
Damian
Circumstance put Cristina on my path.
Fate bound her to me.
Cristina and I share a common past. A single night that changed the course of our lives.
She asked me if I was a monster the night I met her. 
I am. 
She’s about to learn I’m her monster.
Because the countdown that began eight years ago has ended. Her time is up. 
On the stroke of midnight, she’s mine. 
Our Thoughts ๐Ÿ’ญ:
This starts with the prologue Unholy: The Beginning
HOLY CRISPY CRACKERS!
Tell me you don't grip your kindle trying to figure out how to save Cristina and toss Damian out a window at the same time!!!
I loathe that selfish blind arrogant...
As your heart rate increases the true story begins at midnight on the celebration of her 18th year.
Cristina is not sure if she should fight or concede.
Maybe a little of both?
How far can she push the monster before he brings down his wrath on those she loves?
The innocent lives who's every breath are determined by her behavior?
Damian is a bit of a conundrum for me. He is angry and filled with loathing - at times I felt it was more at himself than the people and events that molded his world.
There is something right beneath the darkness that is fighting to break free and I am not sure if that is a good thing or a very very bad thing.
Uncle - I truly hope land in the gutter where you belong
Father - You are just a petty spiteful old man
This ends on a revelation moment - I kind of knew it was coming but still
Need the conclusion now, please
#unholyunion #duet #dark #mafia #romance #natashaknight
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Apple

The Spare - Part TwoThe Spare - Part Two by Gemma Weir
Description:
A Boy chosen for my sister and never intended to be mine, forced his way into my life and shattered everything.
His lies have become my consequences.
But now the game has changed.
No more pretending, no more hiding in plain sight.
Revenge is sweet and with billions of dollars at stake, may the best twin win.
Our Thoughts ๐Ÿ’ญ:
Come on!
Don't leave me hanging like this ๐Ÿ™
I think I'm in love with Tally ๐Ÿฅฐ Seriously she's tough, real, honest, what you see - truly see - is what you get. She doesn't pretend to be something she isn't (okay her twin withstanding)
You stand tall young lady - call on your inner goddess for strength -
It is your time to shine and you are beautiful!!
Arlo *drying my tears* I'm so dang proud of you don't make me brat slap you
Olly, Carson, Watson I don't think Tally could have conjured a better group of avenging angels if she had crafted you herself.
And Carson ... You be nice I know what you are up to
Fitzy you are coming home with me
Carrigan, it seems awfully convenient for you to suddenly remove your blinders -
Whatever you do - don't doubt the strength they wield as a team. They may be young but they are the future and just arrogant enough to risk everything to acquire what they want
Egg donor? May the toxic in your Botox peel away your mask so all may look upon the ugliness you hide within
Don't worry sperm donor I send you lots of ill wishes and rest assured I will be standing on the sidelines cheering you on as your kingdom collapses around you
I smiled so much during this journey.
For me seeing Tally finally get her moment ...
*Sigh*
Her world is still fraught with danger but her knights are front and center
They will protect their queen
This ends on a major happy note -
Yes a happy note
but on its heels, the soul-sucking evil that is greed and gluttony is quickly closing in
#thespare #thekingsandqueens #staugustus #newadult #romance #gemmaweir
Amazon

Oath of the Alpha (Blood Rites Duet, #2)Oath of the Alpha by Eva Dresden
Description:
Captive. Sacrifice. Ultimate power.
This is Aida’s life now. Among the ruins of her birthright, the Usurper demands the incredible power she harbors for his own. King Er’it will make of her a bloody sacrifice, vowing to steal the magnificent force of her magic.
Yet they are both torn between bitter hatred and savage need as Aida learns what it means to be free and Er’it swears his oaths. An irresistible bond pulls them closer, growing stronger day by day as they near the ultimate end of their journey.
The great King is as helpless as his captive Omega to deny the claim they set upon each other.
In the end, they must discover if the need for power will succeed or if the heart will triumph.
Oath of the Alpha is Book Two in the Blood Rites Duet and must be read after Rite of the Omega. This thrilling dark fantasy Omegaverse with a guaranteed HEA contains truly dark themes and complete power exchange. Scenes are not glossed over, which may be distressing for some readers
Our Thoughts ๐Ÿ’ญ:
I'm still a bit torn when it comes to Er'it
I admit he did a complete 180 but that doesn't wash the blood from his hands IMO. Had he not been so arrogant he may have seen beyond his fears. Dresden did a magnificent job of making me believe Er'it was slowly losing his fight to the mating call. Had his capitulation been too swift I wouldn't have believed it.
Aldia was a bit tough to swallow in this second book. I just felt like she was unbalanced, for lack of a better word. I had to remind myself that Aldia had spent a lifetime cowering under the manipulative whims of a mad man so her first response was still to tuck tail and comply. She was fighting that response though a bit of learning curve was present as she went. When she did stand up for herself she was a force to be reckoned with.
This closes on a happy for now but we all know the darkness still lurks in the shadows and all this bliss is only temporary
I dropped a star ๐ŸŒŸ because I had a bit of trouble processing the opening chapters - It wasn't because of the storyline - I was enchanted and emotionally invested here as I was with book one- Just the beginning felt distant? for me. Took me a bit to reconnect.
I am hoping a certain general, as well as "teacher", get their own HFN's
#oathofthealpha #bloodrites #duet #darkromance #omegaverse #fantasy #evadresden


Twitter:
@KRSamuels @EmmaJayeAuthor @MadelynneEllis @NatashaKnight13 @GemmaWeirAuthor @eva_dresden

Instagram:
@kaileereesesamuels @emmajayeauthor @madelynneellix @natashaknightromance @evadresden @gemmaweirauthor

Comments