Skip to main content

Our Book Thoughts and Recommendations 💖 Week of June 27th


 📚 Our Book Recommendations & Thoughts  


🦕 Sink or Swim by Maz Maddox

💮 The Isle of Sin and Shadows by Keri Lake

🖤 Lost in the Dark by Ann Jensen

💔 Requiem of the Soul by Natasha Knight

⚖️ Morte by Leigh Kenzie

🔥 My Beautiful Sin by J. Kenner


See all of our reviews and recommendations

Amazon  BookBub  Goodreads 


Sink or Swim (RELIC #2)Sink or Swim by Maz Maddox
Description:
Trapped on a cruise ship with a man I absolutely hate is not how I wanted to spend this fake honeymoon. Especially when my “fiancé” has a deadly ex on the same boat.
Jackson is everything I’m not: brash, careless and a former fossil thief. But he’s my ticket to getting what I want -- the original Spinosaurus fossils that have been lost for decades. Now I have to play the part, win the fossils and try not to kill him in the process.
The danger of being caught, tortured or killed isn’t what scares me.
Navigating the waters of this fake relationship is threatening to pull me under.
And I’m terrified of sinking.
Our Thoughts 💭:
I'm in love 😍with a grumpy spinosaurus
These two
I laughed so hard at Jackson's antics and casual side comments and when you paired him with Baha's standoffish and growly (though growls can be good too) personality
Those lol moments became out loud snorty laughs 😅
These two stole my heart ❤
After reading this I am purchasing the paperback
It was that good
It's one of those reads that no matter my mood I can pick this up knowing
I'll get an edge of your seat adventure
I'll get to spend time with vivid exciting big as life characters (they are dinosaurs!)
I'll get tickle your funny bone humor
I'll get a bit of angst - the kind you feel deep in your chest
I'll get steamy (together these two are more incendiary than a molotov cocktail) smexy moments
And I'll get a romance that squeezes the ol' heart ❤muscle
This is the second in the series but can be read as a standalone - but the first book is just as packed with fabulous characters, lol moments, and an easy-to-follow storyline that will entertain and delight over and over.
#sinkorswim #relic #lgbt #mmromance #paranormal #humorous #Contemporary #madmaddox
Amazon

The Isle of Sin and ShadowsThe Isle of Sin and Shadows by Keri Lake
Description:
This island alone boasts more ghost stories than all of Louisiana combined.
And I'm one of them.
In the Louisiana swamplands, ghost stories are as much a part of childhood as chasing fireflies and crawfishing. They never much scared me, though, nor the possibility of evil out to do me harm. Until the night I watched shadows come to life and butcher everything I loved.
With a stranger's help, I managed to escape to an isolated place miles north, and, in time, became my own ghost story. A cautionary tale for the locals. Nearly a decade passed, before I returned to my birthplace, in hopes of unearthing long-awaited answers. Instead, I found something I wasn't looking for. Someone. A remedy for my loneliness.
Or so I thought.
Turns out, Thierry Bergeron is no elixir. He's a deadly poison, cursed by the demons of his past, and feared by those who call him the elusive Rougarou of the bayou. A devious rogue, whose seductive whispers and rough hands haunt my dreams. The big bad wolf that defiles me without apology, or remorse. I should resist him, but I can't.And when the shadows return to stake their claim on me, his darkness is the only safe place to hide.
**The Isle of Sin and Shadows is a slow-burn southern gothic mystery romance standalone, set on a darkly enchanting fictional island.
Our Thoughts 💭:
"Don't look away. No matter what you see. What you feel. "
"And if it's too painful?"
"Pain is only the beginning"

A conversation between mother and daughter
The Isle Of Sin and Shadows was truly a wondrous experience.
I was quickly transported into the story and felt like I was a part of the events.
I could hear the sounds of the swamp, the water sloshing against the docks, the gators snapping at the surface. I easily visualized the backdrop and the people.
It was a feast not only for the mind but all my senses
The story is a suspenseful blend of old-world beliefs (not sure that is the word I want) and serendipitous events (wait for the pieces to click into place OMG ) that kept me on edge from beginning to end.
I don't have the right words to truly express what a fabulous experience this was
It has all the ingredients that make a five-star read.
Be prepared to battle your inner child against peeking ahead- I can't tell you how many times my heart was racing during a scene and I wanted to look away, wanted to skip forward just in case things went south (which they quite often did)
"She's like a compact dose of chaos that I want to detonate" - Thierry
Celeste is - how do I describe her?
She's a ball of kinetic energy constantly bouncing from one thought, one action, to another.
Never stopping.
She was mayhem, bedlam, that you wanted to be a part of.
"I can practically hear the hiss of little shrimp souls crackling inside your mouth right now. " - Celeste
Thierry is cold and heartless but there is more to why he is this way. The circumstances of his past? Broke my heart
He was young once had a dream, a chance for a solid future until a chain reaction of events stole everything from him. Shaped him into the cold man he had become.
A stone-cold killer without a heart
Until a little firecracker threw his perfectly organized world into disarray
So many twists and secrets
Best read of 2021!
#theisleofsinandshadows #romanticsuspense #dark #mystery #thriller #romance #kerilake
Amazon  

Lost in the Dark (Dark Sons MC, #2)Lost in the Dark by Ann Jensen
Description:
One night of laughter and explosive passion with a stranger about to be deployed changed Nefertari’s life. Pregnant with no way to find him she was shunned by her family and had to struggle to create the best life she could for their beautiful daughter. Working as a Yoga instructor at a shady spa is both her salvation and downfall. After a chance conversation she discovers one of her students knows her mysterious man, Dragon, but she unknowingly discovers a drug ring being run by a street gang. A gang who needs her to remain silent.
Dragon often dreamed of the girl who got away, the girl who ruined him for other women with her body and her heart. When he finally finds her, he never expected she would be in mortal danger or discover he has a daughter. As a Brother in the Dark Sons MC he knows he and his Brothers can protect Tari and Lali, but winning Tari’s heart is a solo mission. The two of them must find love while staying alive and bringing down a criminal ring intent on killing her. Does their lightning hot attraction still exist? Can their love grow under fire and blossom into the family they both dream of?
***This is book two in the Dark Sons Motorcycle Club series and can be enjoyed independently.
Publisher’s Note: This dark contemporary romance has elements of danger, mystery, suspense, adult themes, possible triggers for some readers, adult content, sensual scenes and power exchange. If any of these offend you, please do not purchase.
Our Thoughts 💭:
Dropped into this series with Lost in the dark! I had no problem connecting the characters, to their roles, or putting together pieces of their past - though I seriously want to read the other brothers stories after meeting them
I was enthralled in the first chapter
The characters were vivid
The writing solid
I loved that Tari was not only intelligent but she was solid warrior material - the kind of woman that stands up for her beliefs even when it leaves her standing alone. I admit I cried during a couple of scenes.
Don't even get me started on Dragon
He is not only scrumptious but also emotionally perfect boyfriend material - He had my ovaries calling out for attention
A one night stand
A brief run-in with a client
Two moments that change Tari's life forever
This has a bit of everything
Family
Brotherhood
Cartel
Angst
Seedy bad guys
Suspense
Bloodshed
And yes
💘 some seriously steamy heart-melting romance
#lostinthedark #darksonsmc #motorcycleclub #suspense #romance #annjensen

Requiem of the Soul (The Society Trilogy, #1)Requiem of the Soul by Natasha Knight
Description:
A Brand New Dark Romance Series by A. Zavarelli and Natasha Knight!
I was born with noble blood in my veins.
Heir to a powerful dynasty.
Wealth. Power. Aristocracy.
Temptations too dangerous to resist.
Until someone tried to steal it all.
Scarred and broken, I emerged from the flames.
Now I’ve returned to take what’s mine.
Revenge.
The first item on my agenda?
Make Ivy Moreno my wife.
Second?
Bend her until she breaks.
Our Thoughts 💭:
Hades no!!!
Omg 😲
Obviously - as this is a trilogy and well with who the authors are -
this ends on a majorly twisted hanging on just barley by the tips of your nails cliffhanger
I was such a mess at the end that I needed a couple of Valium and a stiff drink just to relax my hands and release the white knuckle grip I had on my kindle
I think I know who's behind some of the horrors but the other two events?
I have no clue
I am going to try and do this without any risk of spoiling even the slightest of OMG reveals
Santiago is a snake 🐍
Seriously if he isn't 100% sure why is he so determined to seek revenge?
Ivy, you hang in there. Stockholm Syndrome is real so I'm giving you a little leeway for those rare moments you felt you saw more than darkness reflected in your monster's eyes
But remember how you got where you are
As for the "family" members and "friends"?
Abel, you are a petulant spoiled brat who needs to be knocked down a peg or two - at the same time I get the feeling that you have something slimy up your sleeve
Mystery girl (can't tell you who)why were you hiding during the marking ceremony and what do you know?
Also, someone needs to take Mercedes to task, and quickly because I foresee some serious problems arising from her pious overlook
I am so riddled with anxiety right now
How did this happen?
Why did they do it?
More importantly
Who is behind it????
#requiemofthesoul #thesocietytrilogy #dark #suspense #romance #azavarelli #natashaknight
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google  Apple

Morte (Vendetta, #5)Morte by Leigh Kenzie
Description:
Allesandro
I won’t kneel to a traitor. I won’t let my enemies rip my Family apart. If they think they can take my power away, I’ll bring death right to their door.
Emilio
Memories seep into me, taunting me, choking me. I feel like I’m crumbling and have no idea how to make it out. Can I keep myself together or will death stalk me too?
What happens when vengeance isn’t enough?
**Trigger warnings: Contains graphic violence, extreme sexual situations, homophobic scenes, and other material that may be distressing. It is intended for a mature audience of 18+ Please see inside for more warnings.
This is a continuous series. The first four books must be read prior to this one. Ends on a cliffhanger.
Our Thoughts 💭:
Is he for or against Il Padrone?
Where does his allegiance truly lie?
And no I can't tell you who I'm referring to because crackling fires of hades this war just became a twisted game of chess
Things begin a bit slow in this episode as the pieces are being slotted carefully into place
I was thrown several times when the direction of certain allegiances took a complete 180
Then having to watch my sweet Emilio find his place again...sigh broke 💔my heart
But I knew he would land on his feet eventually
I'm not sure how to get Keegan to see past the lies he believes
(or maybe he is right and I am just biased? )
How do you get someone to see that the good outweighs the bad?
Then there is Marcus-
He didn't have a choice or maybe we lack faith in him?
Food for thought -
Things are going to get a whole lot bloodier
Darker
And more twisted
Before we come close to any answers
Until then I will wait
Impatiently mind you 😏
#morte #vendetta #dark #mm #mafia #crime #suspense #leighkenzie
Amazon

My Beautiful SinMy Beautiful Sin by J. Kenner
Description:
Everything Ellie thinks she knows is about to change.
Despite his dangerous past, billionaire Devlin Saint finally has Ellie Holmes in his life—and in his bed. Yet shadows still cling to Saint, obscuring his dark secrets and the confidences he swore never to reveal.
An investigative reporter, Ellie is certain the man she loves hasn’t told her everything. And when she starts receiving anonymous warnings about Devlin, she vows to investigate. Soon it becomes clear that Devlin isn’t the only one with things to hide, and the more Ellie learns, the more she realizes how dangerous it is to love Devlin Saint.
His touch is her sin…
Our Thoughts 💭:
So many possibilities
I missed book one - I know it does seem to be a habit with me - Even though I missed them and their earlier combative moments (which I can garner from My Beautiful Sin must have been epic)and their unveiling of the truth I was easily able to catch up and get lost in the story.
The emotional connection between Ellie and Devlin felt almost tangible. They compliment each other, a balance of the wills if you will. The story itself has all kinds of twists and WTH moments. Definitely kept me engaged.
Ellie is a bit of a piranha - once that girl gets her teeth into something she is not letting go until she has it down to the bare bones. Sometimes it seemed her laser focus caused her to miss important clues. With Devlin's past, you can only guess that he is not on board with her "investigation" but in no way is he going to risk losing her again. Which leads to a lot of smoke and mirrors from him.
Devlin's character is one of those that fits almost perfectly in the BBF box. He has that mysterious dark past. He is demanding and rules his world with an iron fist. At the same time, he is all marshmallowy when it comes to the woman who holds his heart.
I was going back and forth on who was the antagonist - I am usually pretty good at putting the clues together - turns out I was off a touch - I do love it when a good twist is unveiled. I am eager to see how they handle this "problem" and I am wanting to go back and catch up on how it all started
#mybeautifulsin #fallensaint #romance #suspense #jkenner

Comments