Skip to main content

Book Thoughts and Recommendations 🧐 Our Picks for June 5th

 


📚 Our Book Recommendations & Thoughts  


🧹 The Case of The Endangered Witch by H.B. Chapman

♞ Deceptive Knight by Sienna Snow

🐍 Escape by Sean Ian O'Meidhir

♙ Devil's Pawn by Natasha Knight

👻 Tall, Dark and Haunted by Mia Harlan

😱 Echoes of Silence by Indie Black




The Case of The Endangered Witch (Magic Investigations Society Archive #1)The Case of The Endangered Witch by H.B. Chapman
Description
One Friday night in the city of Melbourne, aspiring concert pianist Ella Wentworth mesmerizes an audience of eight hundred people. Yet she's distraught; she missed a note, and her perfectionism consumes her. Moments later, her hair turns arctic white, and her world descends into Disneyesque hallucinations where everyday objects appear to sparkle, levitate, and...flash mob.
Ella is referred to Dr Kendra Hamilton, who specializes in treatment for “post-traumatic stress in cases of trauma-induced spontaneous hair depigmentation.” But with Dr Hamilton's tennis player grip and capacity to draw bolts of energy from the sky, Ella believes there's more to this psychiatrist's credentials than MD. What does this mental health professional mean by “you're a witch?”
Unfortunately, everyone but Ella is frothing about her rare magic skills, and she soon becomes the target of nefarious beings. And all this magical hoo-ha unfolds behind the backs of her husband and daughter. Max is Ella's sweetheart whom she would never (normally) lie to. But any day now, she'll confess she's a witch. Right? Right?
The Magic Investigations Society Archive is a genre-bending cozy mystery series filled with paranormal fantasy adventure.
Our Thoughts 💭
This is the first in the series and the author did a magical (pun intended) job of setting a strong foundation for the series and engaging all my senses
Great world building
Funtastical characters
A Captivating storyline that entertains
Ella is so far in the land of denial it isn't even funny
I really can't blame her though - How she stayed more or less sane through all of the events that rapidly occur I have no clue
I enjoyed her persistence or perhaps her acceptance (?) as well as her devotion to her family - Just made her all the more charismatic
The supporting characters (and they are characters) were spot on - They each brought something to the overall tone
I did have some areas that for me sort of felt repetitive or a bit slow - but then there is a lot of foundation building here and it did not detract or ruin the story - it truly is a "me" thing
If you enjoy your cozy mysteries with a strong dose of laughter and lots of mayhem then this series is for you
#CozyMystery #Humorous #paranormal  #magicinvestigationsociety #caseofthedangerouswitch #HBChapman
Amazon  Kobo Nook  Google  Apple

Deceptive KnightDeceptive Knight by Sienna Snow
Description
I am a liar, a deceiver, a devil in the dark.
I will hunt you, steal your secrets, and use them against you.
You will never see me coming.
Then I met my match.
She cut out my heart, left me bleeding, without a backward glance.
But, she made one mistake...she stepped back into my world, trying to run from her past.
She's mine, and she will soon learn there is no escape when fate says she belongs to me.
Our Thoughts 💭
The irony!!!
or maybe it was just Karma's way of saying Hi
I about dropped my kindle when the devious plan a certain someone set in motion came to light
Reyhan and Lilly have a turbulent history (that is putting it kindly)
These two are level 5 combustible when in the proximity of each other -
The past has left them both with some unresolved "issues"
(I laugh as I write this as it is such an understatement when describing them)
Now, years later they find themselves having to trust the other if they want to live to see another day
Action 🎬
Adventure 🃏
Betrayals ♟
Twists and Suspense 🎲
Smexy moments ☄
This has it all!
You need to read this series in order to understand who is who and what's going on in the background
It is such a wonderfully diverse cast that brings the action to life and draws the reader in
I found myself flinching, looking away (only to realize I had to look back to find out what happens), wanting to peek ahead to ensure everyone survived (I didn't but the struggle was real)
And don't even get me started on the chemistry between Rey and Lilly Holy Hades
This is one of the better organized crime series IMO
Well written storylines that interconnect
A diverse cast of characters that are easy to connect with
#DeceptiveKnight #StreetKings #OrganizedCrime #RomanticSuspense #SiennaSnow
 Amazon  Kobo Nook  Google  Apple 

Escape (Crossing Nüwa, #1)Escape by Sean Ian O'Meidhir
Description
For sheltered Robbie, one week of freedom leads to sexual awakening and adventure… but when his world intersects with Theo’s, they’ll need all their wits and Theo’s magic to fight for their future.
Rare male weresnake Robbie has had his whole life decided for him down to his meals. But when the time comes for him to perform an unspeakable duty to his clan, he runs.
San Francisco Pride is in full swing when technomage Theo spots a scared-looking young man with brilliant emerald eyes. He’s only looking for a hookup, but before he knows why, he’s taking Robbie home and introducing him to champagne and enchiladas. He doesn’t have any intention of falling in love.
Robbie doesn’t want to return to his clan, at least not without trying to fit a lifetime of experiences into a week, but every day he stays puts Theo in more danger.
Our Thoughts 💭
This was all about the journey
Packed with feels that had me ping-ponging from disbelief to laughter and a million places in between
I do wish we got the final tea on the egg donor and her clan -
As well as Grams and the enforcer (trying not to spoil lol)
However, if the series continues with some of these characters I might get my answers
Robbie is raised in a strict environment. His only purpose is to serve the greater good of his species. He has always followed the commands he has been given (not that he had a choice) but he wants to taste freedom - he wants to live. He dares to attempt a life outside of his controlling mother and aunt.
Can he find himself?
Can he escape his future?
Robbie is all kinds of innocence and when you pair him with the rougher more real Theo - who by the way IMO is his perfect match- you get a well-balanced couple that pulls all those heartstrings
This has a touch of suspense at the beginning that leads to a journey of self-discovery for our Robbie as well as Theo all wrapped up with an HEA
I am looking forward to more from this series
Really enjoyed the unique shifters and the different species interactions
The physical side of the romance is a slow burn but the emotional connection between the two MC's is raging
#Escape #CrossingNüwa #MMRomance #Shapeshifters #UrbanFantasy #Gay #MMParanormal #SeanIanOMeidhir #ConnalBraginsky
 Amazon  Kobo Nook  Google  Apple  

Devil's Pawn (The Devil's Pawn, #1)Devil's Pawn by Natasha Knight
Description
Isabelle
Jericho St. James hates my family.
Powerful, wealthy beyond belief, he is the most dangerous man I know.
And I belong to him.
He’s taken me from my home.
He plans to make me his wife.
And he’s made it very clear I’ll be sleeping in his bed.
But my beast has a secret.
His one weakness. One that makes hating him impossible.
He has a daughter.
And he’ll do anything to keep her safe.
Jericho
The Bishops stole what money cannot replace.
A life for a life. Now I’ll take one of theirs.
Isabelle is the perfect pawn.
I will make her my wife.
I will bed her.
She will be mine in every way.
And once I take what I need from her, I will erase the Bishop family as if they never existed at all.
Our Thoughts 💭
I really really do not like Jericho 😕
Is he is redeemable - Yes, but at the moment I stand firmly in the belief that he can swim with the fishes 🐟
Belle's life is a bit like watching a tennis match -
It is not her fault - it is the beast's fault -
One minute he is blazing hot and Belle can do nothing but smolder beneath him
The next? He is an iceberg that leaves behind one heck of a burn
I admire her in so many ways - for as young and as trusting as she is and all the ugliness that she has faced in her short life (wait till that truth comes out) the girl still has some serious cajones and a heart as big as Texas
I'm upset 😡 with Jericho for what he's done to her - you can't undo those choices (Does what you are doing not make you as sick as the Bishops?)
I know (I think I know) Z's secret though I'm not sure of the why of it but I think it connects to Zoe's and if it is what I think it is OMG
Carlton is just plain slimy - greedy- and I hope karma meets him in an alley - her cousin isn't much better but there could be more there regarding her than I am seeing
I read this in one sitting - pizza guy and my fam love me -
With each new flip of the page there was another puzzle piece - and as Knight is known to do - they didn't always fit into the picture as I believed they should
This is a captive/forced om/yw villain revenge romance so there is all kinds of triggering things happening - just a heads up
Also, this ends on a cliffy (hellllooooo it's a duet) it also has cameos from some of my favorite characters. 😍
I need to know how this goes down because I'm seeing a life for a life and I do not think it is the life Jericho planned 😢
#DevilsPawn #Duet #Dark #Suspense #Mystery #Romance #NatashaKnight 
 Amazon  Kobo Nook  Google  Apple

Tall, Dark and HauntedTall, Dark and Haunted by Mia Harlan
Description
I always thought I was unlucky. Now, I’m dead.
Not dead-dead. Ghost-dead. And NAKED. Very, very naked. Quick word of advice: Don't shift and die. Unless you want the whole world to see your hoo-ha.
My afterlife takes me to a haunted castle and my three fated mates. They’re handsome ghosts... beneath their top hats, sideburns, and nineteenth-century mustaches, that is.
When an errant spell drops us in a paranormal town, we get our bodies back. But if we don’t find a way to keep them by sunrise, we’ll be doomed to an eternity as ghosts: floating around, unable to touch, kiss, or worse, do the dirty.
Tall, Dark, & Haunted is a reverse harem romantic comedy. If you like quirky characters and panty-melting fated mates, you’ll love this steamy, laugh-out-loud paranormal romance with all the feels!
Our Thoughts 💭
A laugh out loud romance that will both amuse and delight
Rhiannon passes from this earth in the most undignified manner - OMG I could not even imagine - A girl would think things couldn't get worse
But things go from hauntingly bad to downright frightening when she finds herself in a haunted castle that has been bespelled - did I forget to mention that some of her fellow ghosts turn out to be her fated mates?
Time is running out for Rhiannon and her mates they must solve the mystery before sunrise if they want to stay corporeal
This is my first visit to silver springs - I can guarantee I will be returning
Tall, Dark and Haunted was an absolute blast to read
From the fountain to the finale
The authors crafted a story that was not only fun but also engaging
I look forward to returning to Silver Springs
#TallDarkHaunted #Fantasy #Paranormal #ReverseHarem #Romance #Humorous #MiaHarlan #HanleighBradley
Amazon 

Echoes of SilenceEchoes of Silence by Indie Black
Description
A dull-eyed girl, broken and alone,
living in a world drenched in violence.
Her story begins with bloodline sins,
and no one to save her from the echoes of silence.
Wren
I haven’t spoken in four years. Not a scream, not a cry, not a whimper. I learned a long time ago—the punishment for speaking out against my tormentors isn’t a price I’m willing to pay.
Not again.
Forged in darkness and controlled in silence, I was caged for other’s twisted perversions. It wasn’t until four dark knights swooped in and sliced through the ropes binding me that I was finally free. They were supposed to be my saviors, but I was wrong. So. Incredibly. Wrong. The men who purchased me from my father are monsters—worse than those who haunt the shadows of my past.
At first, they whispered sweet promises of freedom, but now they say I’m theirs to keep. To own. I’m nothing more than a prisoner once again. Only this time, I might not need saving. Especially when their brand of darkness soothes the shattered pieces of my poisoned soul, and sets my desire for vengeance ablaze.
*Echoes of Silence is a DARK contemporary retelling of The Ugly Duckling, and 1 of 13 novels releasing in the Twisted Tales collection. It's a depraved, gritty, and raw reverse harem romance that contains scenes that may be triggering to some. Including : sexual assault, graphic violence and explicit steamy scenes. The FMC is beautifully broken, yet undeniably fierce. Her dark knights are depraved and possessive, delighting in pushing her past her breaking point. This novel comes with massive triggers, so please heed the warning. It is not suitable for readers under the age of 18.
Our Thoughts 💭
Why? Why? Why?
I am livid
No really - my heart is beating a mile a minute and my hands are shaking I'm so angry!
I can't risk any spoilers cause - yeah - never saw that betrayal coming
This is the story of a survivor
Gawds the strength it took to endure
To never give up hope
It's not just Wren either - though this is her story
It's the guys - oh what an assortment of deliciously dark souls they are
It's the others who have also found light in their darkness
Watching her heal -
Little baby steps -
Testing her physical boundaries
Havoc
Hush
Nix
Grumpy Bear
*fanning myself as I drown in a puddle of smexy
I can not wait to see Wren let go
I know it will be a glorious explosion spotlighted with the most glorious shades of crimson
For those who do not play in the deeper end of the dark romance genre - this is a survivor's tale and it includes those scenes (not all are detailed) it also has elements of blood play, torture... etc
#EchoesOfSilence #TwistedTales #ReverseHarem #Dark #MMRomance #Suspense #Retellings #IndieBlack

#BookRecommendation #WhatToRead #Fiction #Fantsy #Romance #Gothic #Books 

Comments