Skip to main content

🧐 OUR WEEK IN REVIEWS ➜ Book reviews


OUR PICKS THIS WEEK
🌌  Deviant Control by L.V. Lane
🐺 Midnight Torment by L. Ann
🎶 Breakdown by Aly Zigada
😱 Sweet Poisons by Natalie Bennett
⏳ Hidden Pain by Anna Edwards
⚖️ Retribution by Monique Orgeron

WANT MORE ➡


Deviant Control (The Controllers #3)Deviant Control by L.V. Lane

What a twist

There is no way you would be so cruel a to leave me hanging 😡like this -
Oh, wait you live to torment your readers!

Lillian has been one of my favorite characters in this series since the beginning. I was a bit upset (putting it mildly) when it was believed that once she presented she was no longer worthy of being the lead scientist. And to put you know who in charge? No.
 I am eager to see him get his comeuppance though. I know he is up to something evil.
I have to admit I was very impressed with how you explained the shift in psychological dynamics once she presented and how she handled the transition.

Let us move on to her controllers...
Holy hotness!!
I need more ... They both are wells of untapped darkness bleeding onto the pages.

Oh and the lithe tidbit you slipped in about her blood?
I'm hoping that plays a predominant role in book two
As for her old assistant...
Amazon

Midnight Torment (Midnight Pack, #3)Midnight Torment by L. Ann

I knew it would take a woman with a will of steel and just the right sass to bring Alpha Cormac to his knees

I never really thought about what Cormac as an Alpha sacrificed for his pack. It was never a sacrifice in his eyes he would give his life for his pack. Until Ava, I never considered the true weight he bore in silence. No wonder he was such a grumpy boy.
As the layers that are Cormac are peeled away we discover what was keeping his wolf close to the surface ~ agitated and unsettled. I shed a few silent tears for what he suffered but never truly understood. This shed light on a new side to Cormac that I enjoyed.

Ava ... she is his perfect match.
A fighter, a dreamer; A princess who took matters into her own hands when her prince failed to come. Friend or foe the pack still isn't sure. Despite her circumstances, little wolf's got a bite!
I don't want to give any spoilers up. Just keep an eye on this one.

As this wrapped up I did have some questions ... I know they will be answered in upcoming episodes but still inquiring minds and all- What about Isabel? Who is this Irish newcomer (yum)? What's up with Cooper? Who's the baby daddy? Where did the full blood come from? How do they know this wasn't an elaborate plot to infiltrate? Hmmm?

This is book three in this series and it just keeps getting better.
The cast and their secondary stories are interwoven in each book, though each episode spotlights a specific couple.
Packed full of suspense and "omg" twists that will keep you on edge and fighting not to peek ahead. Lots of antics and romance as well.
A full-on - check all the right boxes read!
A must own series for any PNR lover.
Amazon

BreakdownBreakdown by Aly Zigada

AGENDAS, LIES, HISTORY- LOVE
So much unnecessary pain. So much loss.
Tainting what should have been the strongest of friendships, the purest of loves.

Perversion records is where it all started.
Two little girls with really big dreams.
Imogen and Sophie had a plan, they had the know-how, the willingness to sacrifice everything to succeed.
And they succeeded
But the cost was blood, family and friends.

Once you start this journey you will be hooked.
Even when darkness envelops your body and you submit to your subconscious it will be Atticus, Ezra, Imogen Sophie or Merrit who haunt your nightmares.
The twisted thoughts, the desires, that each of these characters hid behind a smiling facade was enough to leave me with chills.
The greed that drives them.
The jealousy that motivates them.
Their need for vengeance -
The defense of their perverse behaviors.
This is a group of friends who each seemed to straddle the line of a frenemy.

One of the most engaging novels I've read this year.
The story line is complex. Just like life, it contains many smaller branches that break off into their own story yet are still a part of the whole.

I can't break down the numerous events and emotions behind this story, not and truly do it justice.
Be prepared for a twisted and highly charged emotional journey.
Amazon

Sweet Poisons (Pretty lies, ugly truths duet #1)Sweet Poisons by Natalie Bennett

Run 🐇Rabbit Run

Holy snikeys you can't 😱just leave me hanging by my fingernails!
This is a quick but to the point toss you into the slaughterhouse first in duet.

We get to meet the players
We get a glimpse at the game board
We even get to watch them make a couple of moves
Just enough to get us engaged, strung out -
Then we are tossed over the cliff

Nova has lost her family but we are not given the specifics of how but we are given some clues. She seems to be a bit of an introvert and maybe once upon a time she was the "nice girl" your parents approved of. I am not sure really. It seems the loss of her parents, the uncovering of secrets and the unknown has tipped her sanity scales a touch and not in the right direction.

Rhett, I have no idea who he is. For some reason, Nova has become his obsession after watching him and his friends I am going to go with that as being a good thing. I definitely would not want to be on the negative side of his attentions.

Someone, at this point everyone is a suspect, has crossed some very dangerous people and they are coming to collect. I know Nova's dad is somehow involved but I have no idea how or what the man did. I also know that her friend is not to be trusted, just wait for that little revelation. There are so many directions this story can take for those who survive to the next book, which by the way I need now.

I really fought with myself on rating this one
It wasn't the story - it wasn't the cast ~
All those things were 10 fiery stars!!
It was the editing or lack of ~ not sure what happened here
The world building, the characters the overall tone of the story was five stars without question
The editing issues bothered me
Amazon


Hidden Pain (The Glacial Blood Book 5)Hidden Pain by Anna Edwards

Solid read
I enjoy Edward's work
And this was no exception
The running series plot is getting more twisted and I'm questioning how many lives will be lost if this war comes to be?
It's almost as if the balance of power is shifting and not in a good way.
Mr. Big bad Alpha Hunter needs to be knocked back a peg or two. He is a good leader and one gifted lover but for some reason, he kept rubbing me the wrong way. The scene where he acted without questioning when he should have known all was not as it seemed sent me into a complete fit. It took all I had not to walk away from. Yes, I was that livid - on a positive note it does show I was invested in the characters 😂.
Lily ... I'm glad she found herself and the truth.
Kingsley has a way to go still but watching him make those baby steps brought on a serious case of the feel-goods
Ebony ... bi @ tch, please! You are as transparent as a Ziploc.
Looking forward to seeing where this takes the Glacial Blood pack. How far Nuka will take his quest. Oh, and if the whole gramps thing will work.
Amazon

Retribution (Youngblood Series Book 2)Retribution by Monique Orgeron

I had to pause for a bit when I finished this.. there is more to come - but Shane's story was a tough one for me.

Be prepared to feel everything - the taste of Shane's anger - the pulse of his need
The vibrant and intense bond of family ~ which is not always blood

Shane's character on the surface seems dark almost void of any emotion besides anger and vengeance. But as we go back, as we live the moments through his eyes -Can you blame him?
Shane may hold the largest slice of my heart.

Catherine's has something up her sleeve. But doesn't she always?

Ashlyn and Teddy are on this journey with us. This is something I enjoy about Moniques writing how she keeps the family connected through each story.

Jolie- I am a bit torn here. I don't think I trust nor like her. It feels like she is hiding one too many skeletons. Could just be that she hurt Shane but... 😏

I had the honor of reading this series when it first debuted and I can say with complete honesty that somehow Orgerons unique ability to ensnare and transport her readers into the stories has only improved over time.
Amazon 


#LVLane #LAnn #AlyZigada
#NatalieBennett #AnnaEdwards #MoniqueOrgeron
#paranromal #pnr #romance #gothic #fantasy #military
#omegaverse #newadult #billionaire #contemporary #dark
#mashup #fiction #occult #saga #crimefamily #bookreview
#books #reading #mustreads


Comments