Skip to main content

Our Book Thoughts 💭 and Recommendations April 5th



💖 OUR PICKS FOR THE WEEK 💖
📚 04/05/20 📚

🕸️ Descent by Natasha Knight
🏰 Waiting for Milo by Angel Devlin
💀  Iniquity by Natalie Bennett
🛸  Doom by Regine Abel
💚  Dirty Brilliance by Lea Bronsen
👁️  Lace and Lies by Melanie Munton

Looking for that perfect read?


DescentDescent by Natasha Knight
Description:
Persephone Abbot is in my debt.
Exactly the way I want it.
The sins of the father should not be inherited by the daughter. It’s unfair, I know, but since when has life been fair?
The events that brought us here began on Halloween night more than five years ago in that chapel ruin. I saved her that night. Carried her home through the storm that was the omen warning of what would come.
I didn’t know it then, but I do now.
Her father destroyed something precious. Someone innocent.
I don’t believe in an eye for an eye. I won’t just balance the scales of justice, I’ll tip them so far in my favor his legacy will topple.
I’ll take that which is most precious. His daughter.
But I’m not the only monster lurking in the dark corners of her world. She’ll sleep in the bed of the beast, but I’ll keep her safe. Protect her fiercely.
And maybe I'll keep her.
My Thoughts 💭
It was to short! Or maybe I just wanted to stay in the story forever?
You ever get to 50% and begin to wonder if you can somehow make the journey a bit longer? Maybe read slower? I actually did that... or tried to.
I read this or should say consumed this in one sitting
From the moment a broken Hayden comforted a frightened Persephone I willingly handed over my heart and any hope of breaking free before the final scene played out
Hades went about his conquest of Persephone all wrong. He was using revenge as an excuse to manipulate the situation and acquire his heart's desire- the oldest ploy in the book - and to make matters worse??
He admits his possession of Percy truly has nothing to do with his hatred of her father. He just wanted his Percy. What he fails to admit is that she is his everything. Always has been.
Yeah, these two had it bad.
One of the many reasons their story stole my heart.
Percy knew from the moment she locked eyes with Hades she would bend to his will, but a girl has to front a little hard to get.
The storyline...
Twisted
Deadly
And hot as he ll!!
As the veil is lifted and the plot is exposed listen carefully to what happened. The devil is always in the details. There is a *deep inhale * revelation that explains soooo much, or it did for me. Seems Hades had a taste of Persephone long before now.
You know right from the start Percy is going to capitulate to Hades and you know Hades is going to push limits .. he is a male and he is in love and he needs to bang his chest and ... well, you get the idea. I think Percy does pretty well holding her own.
I do think that this should have been longer - No, it is not just my greed for more from this couple. There are some events that I felt needed more backstory. Like Hade's childhood, his dad's deals, his adopted sister's actions ... IDK maybe I did just want more.
I know I want Ares's story. He seems a bit more level headed than his brother. Maybe?
Amazon  Nook  Kobo

Waiting for Milo (The Waite Family, #1)Waiting for Milo by Angel Devlin
Description:
Milo Waite.
Alpha.
Caveman.
Protector.
After Violet Blake buys her nan’s former home, she’s shocked to find it in a state of neglect.
When the local renovation company come to assess the property, builder Milo makes it his mission to ensure Violet has a safe home to live in. But he has another mission too… to capture Violet’s heart.
However buried family secrets threaten not only their budding relationship but to tear their families apart.
When the dust settles, can Milo and Violet have a happy ever after?
My Thoughts 💭
"Rapunzel is all grown up now. She doesn't need a prince. Doesn't need rescuing. She's got this. "
Kinda sorta 🙈
Straight up this had me rolling my eyes one minute at the absurdly impossible then laughing the next at their insane antics
Know going in this is a light-hearted romance with a small touch of angst and a whole lot of "Milo, No!"'s (you'll see)
Speaking of
Let's start with Milo.
He reminds me of my neighbor's overly excited pup.
I'm serious.
He is full steam ahead and when he does try and slow his roll its like watching your pup slide across the wood floor.
You know its gotta hurt a bit but you can't stop laughing.
Let us not overlook his extremely excitable libido 🤣 either
Then there is our sweet Violet
The girl has had a rough start on life but she's still getting where she can. Which is a good thing for the most part.
She is still running from her demons but it's okay, now that she's home her knight will lend a hand.
Even if she doesn't want one, or need one.
It was highly entertaining watching her try and manage the wrecking ball that was Milo.
This is pure enjoyment for the senses.
Far fetched fiction packed with lovable characters (looking forward to their stories), hilarious antics and a whole lot of heart-stopping sweetness
Amazon

Iniquity (Dahlia Saga #5)Iniquity by Natalie Bennett
Description:
I was born with a sickness that can't be cured, and I've been getting better at slowly getting worse
I’m no longer single, no longer all alone.
I have a family now.
They're not afraid of what I am.
They nurture my sickness, cultivate and help me control it.
For a short time, things were close to perfect.
Now, someone wants to ruin us.
They want to take them away.
I'll fix everything they dare to try and break.
I'll make them perfect in the throes of decay.
My Thoughts 💭
Communication is key 🤐
Change is happening at the Dahlia house and our triad is still learning how best to make their relationship dynamics work
Declan is, and will always be an overprotective highly possessive dominant horse's backside. But for his loves, he is trying to find a middle ground. Somewhere between the gilded cage and complete freedom - maybe clipped wings?
Ethan our sweet little deviant knows things are off. He has his secrets and like Declan, he too worries about their sweet Helena. She is changing, growing.
For the better? Or?
She has not hinted at a problem, yet something is wrong.
Helena just wants to fix things.
I fell in love with her innocence and the twisted way she viewed the world in book one.
Now she has grown.
She still fixes - bless her ❤ heart.
But she is also growing, feeling.
She will protect her new family...
At any cost
She can fix it
A quick note
This is full of twisted humor, rivers of crimson, death and lots of other graphically dark content
So if that isn't your cuppa I would sit this journey out
Also, this is part of a series so to get the maximum impact with all the spine-tingling shivers and eye scrunching, tummy rolling reactions I suggest you start at the beginning.
See you on the other side :)
Amazon

Doom (Xian Warriors #1)Doom by Regine Abel
Description:
Victoria’s dreams of a cozy life as a small-town doctor come crashing down when the monstrous Kryptids make first contact. The alien invaders have only one goal: to turn Earth into a breeding ground. As she fights to protect her patients in their makeshift hospital, an even more fearsome alien and his beast enter the fray. She should be terrified of the male ominously named Doom. But she’s mesmerized.
Will the Kryptids finally defeat their only real threat, or will the delicate human that has stolen both of Doom’s hearts also be the Warriors’ seed of hope?
My Thoughts 💭
All the feels!!
I fell in love with this series when I first met Legion and the Xian warriors - be still my beating heart. When I heard we were going to get to see how it all started I was ecstatic! I'm not joking I couldn't wait to get Doom's story. To be there when it all began. I'm so happy Abel gave this to her readers - She did not disappoint.
The storyline captivated me from the opening scene and easily swept me up into the action and romance.
I felt a part of their battle, a part of their ragtag team of warriors and psychics and soul catchers
The world-building is so vivid I was there.
This opens with the Kryptids invading the earth.
How and why they rounded up the humans.
What the general was really up to.
The attack on the Xian Warriors homeworld....
So many answers
Victoria is a breath of fresh air.
She is strong-willed but soft of heart.
Her aura was perfectly balanced.
Not too tough, not too soft.
She was believable.
And Doom?
Sheer perfection
Stran - where can I get one?
The rest of the Xian Warriors - I look forward to the journey
Amazon

Dirty BrillianceDirty Brilliance by Lea Bronsen
Description:
Kace Karrington is a wealthy, self-made investor with no qualms about steamrolling others to achieve his goals. He’s attracted to men, but picks up beautiful women, giving the cold, unfeeling world of Finance the appearance he’s successful...powerful. That is until he meets a smoking hot street punk eager to show him there’s more to life than making money.
My Thoughts 💭
🤔
This is a quick read
Kace is portrayed as a selfish egotistical billionaire who cares only about his reputation and the acquisition of more - nothing specific just more.
When a tragic loss brings him face to face with the results of his choices he finds himself questioning his life.
He has everything tangible what he lacks can not be acquired by his normal means.
This is an instant lust romance with a light touch of angst or maybe I should say self-revelation?
It does border on the realm of impossibility but it is fiction folks Making the impossible probable - that is why we read.
There are a couple of surprises but overall a pretty predictable story line that has just a touch of steam and whole lot of feels
Amazon  Kobo  Nook

Lace and Lies (Brooklyn Brothers #1)Lace and Lies by Melanie Munton
Description:
We are the Rossetti’s.
The exiled “sixth family” of the New York mafia. We’re the good guys.
People don’t fear us…much. They respect us.
The five of us? We’re the Brooklyn Brothers.
And we protect what’s ours.
Jasmine Kingston should run from me. I mean, she should literally pick up her dress, toss away her heels, and haul ass in the complete opposite direction. Because for the last few months that she’s been in New York and taking the fashion world by storm, I’ve been watching her. From my ivory tower, from the shadows. Wherever she’s been, I’ve been only feet away, and she hasn’t even realized it.
Until now.
My Thoughts 💭
Munton brought a whole new twist to "no longer mafia" mafia romance
It's not as complicated as it sounds, promise.
I was trying to figure out what exactly Cris had done that he was so afraid of Jasmine discovering.
When it was revealed... Yeah, he had every reason to be concerned. Stalker much?
Cris is a bit blind(?) to the realities of proper world etiquette. A nice way of saying he takes what he wants and does not think about the consequences of his action or how the affected party might feel. Not in a malicious sense more an entitlement way - he wants to help those less fortunate - I do not think he even realizes his mindset.
Jasmine what do I say about her but "High five". Her character had spunk and tenacity. She climbed up the ladder of success with sheer perspiration and she has no qualms with pushing herself to achieve her goals.
The push and pull between these two was intense and at times a bit humorous.
I also enjoyed that for once it was the alpha he man who was floating unaided in the waters of love while the female floated on completely oblivious to the storm brewing
So the story in a no spoiler nutshell :
The Rosetti clan is an old Italian family that had chosen in the beginning to break from the original mafia families -
They are the protectors
Cris wants Jasmine
Jasmine wants a bit of stress relief - the no strings attached kind
Cris has secrets
Jasmine wants to earn her way up in the world of fashion and not the easy way either
Cris is building his own doghouse
Jasmine is finally happy success and what she believes is love is within her grasp
Cris's secrets are about to be exposed
Jasmine blows a gasket
All he ll proceeds to break loose
Don't worry it ends on a HEA, for now
I am excited to see where this goes next -
Strong secondary characters that easily grab your heartstrings and latch on ..and the twins Oh heavens
The story was easy to follow, at times I felt it went a bit into the far fetched realm of fiction but it always kept me engaged and entertained
Amazon  Kobo  Nook


#familylife #contemporary #romance #romcom #gayromance #billionaire
#lgbt #alienwarriors #scifi  #horror #dark #gothic #fiction #mafia #organizedcrime
#action #adventure #bookstoread #bookreview #toread

#NatashaKnight #AngelDevlin #NatalieBennett #RegineAbel #LeaBronsen #MelanieMunton

Comments