Skip to main content

Our Book Thoughts 💭 Reviews and Recommendations May 17th



💖 THIS WEEKS SPOTLIGHT READS 💖
📚 05/17/20 📚

🤣 Man Crush Monday by Kirsty Moseley
🥊  Misadventures in the Cage by Sarah Robinson
🩸  Blood of Angels by Kathryn Ann Kingsley
♟️  Wicked Liars by Laura Lee
🧪  Deviant Evolution by L.V. Lane
💔 Layla by Summer Stanton

Looking for that perfect read?


Man Crush MondayMan Crush Monday by Kirsty Moseley
Description:
Perma-single Amy Clarke prides herself on three things: her pink hair, her Converse collection, and her ability to drink copious amounts of margarita without puking. She isn’t looking for love. She’s perfectly content with her simultaneous love affairs with Netflix and both Ben and Jerry. The trouble is, sometimes, love finds you.
Five months ago, he climbed aboard her train, and nothing has been the same since. Fast-forward to now, she still doesn’t know his name, but she knows she wants his babies.
Her crush—this tall, dark, and handsome dork who gets on her train every other Monday—has no idea he brightens her day with his panty-wetting smile and laugh that makes her pulse quicken.
When a chance encounter outside of work forces them to have their first proper conversation, things quickly go from loving him from afar to up close and very personal. With a string of disastrous exes in her past, has Amy finally found her Mr Perfect? Or does fate have other plans?
My Thoughts 💭:
🤣I laughed
🥰 I loved
😲 I OMG'd
🤔 I wondered
😭 I cried
😍 I fell in love all over again
"Being with you is like falling down a rabbit hole. It's disorienting and scary but exhilarating. "
Amy is such a ditz! I mean that in the best way possible!
I adored her character. Her zest for life. Her unflinching honesty. Her over-analyzing. Her ability to trip over her own feet.
Everything about her made me smile.
Jared was her complete opposite.
Like two opposing forces those two.
He folded his boxers she tossed hers.
She tossed it in the sink he washed and put it away.
It worked.
Bloody hell they were perfect!
Then reality switched the tracks on them.
Can Amy figure it out before she loses her Man Crush Monday?
This had a couple of serious twists in the story that I didn't see coming until right before impact.
It was too late to change directions
Impact was inevitable
Can Amy and Jared survive?
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google

Misadventures in the Cage (Misadventures, #27)Misadventures in the Cage by Sarah Robinson
Description:
Callan Walsh kicks ass. In fact, he’s famous for it. As one of the brightest up-and-coming stars on the MMA scene, he’s an absolute beast in the cage…and out. Everything he’s trained for has brought him to this moment. Going toe-to-toe with reigning champ Xavier Gray will make or break his career. Nothing can distract him from his lifelong goal. Nothing. Until he meets…his opponent’s little sister.
Josie Gray is hell on wheels, gorgeous AF, and has a mouth that doesn’t stop. The reluctant reality-television star is every man’s dream, but she’s about to become Callan’s nightmare. Tired of being in her brother’s fight-club entourage, Josie desperately desires her own life out of the limelight. Her loyalty to family keeps her tangled in faux fame, but what she feels for Callan is the realest thing she’s ever known.
Sparks fly when Callan comes to Josie’s rescue, leading to an all-consuming fire after a single night together. Forever is right at their fingertips, if only everything—and everyone—wasn't working to keep them apart. Will Callan and Josie fight through family ties to come out on top? Or are they both caged into lives they never wanted?
My Thoughts 💭:
"Did you just put two and two together that you're in the middle of the desert with a virtual stranger, and he's digging a hole for a body?"
One two punch of humor and romance!
Jos is a sight to behold. Her character had three quirkiest sense of humor. Unhappily trapped by the conditions of "family first", Josie looks for relief and fulfillment in the smallest of moments. A stolen smile here a brief escape there. Things finally get to be too much when her well-scripted reality delivers her a painful wake-up blow that forces her to make a choice. No matter which direction she goes her heart will pay, but staying is not an option.
Walsh couldn't help but find himself drawn to the little firecracker of a woman. Giving in to his curiosity he indulges his desires.
One night - No strings.
All regret.
I loved the chemistry between these two. Walsh had such a sweet side to him, one that Jos only seemed to make brighter.
Really disliked Josie family -
Xavier needed to be brought down a peg or two or three. (it would have taken a lot more to bring me to forgive him)
Mom just needed someone to pull off her blinders
Another wonderfully addition to the Misadventures collections.
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google

Blood of Angels (Halfway Between #2)Blood of Angels by Kathryn Ann Kingsley
Description:
When I learned the truth of what I was seventy years ago, let’s just say, I didn’t take it well.
I’m not human. I never was.
I’m a homunculus crafted by two creatures for their benefit. Azrael, the archangel of death, made me to be his daughter and Asmodeus, the archdemon of lust, created me to be his wife.
That’s the simplest part of my life right now.
Now, there’s a murderous cult in the city of Boston who’s abducting angels and demons. I thought this had nothing to do with me, but Octavian, the cult’s leader, wants to show me how very wrong I was.
I’m trapped between my desire to fight the cult, and fighting my desire for Asmodeus. He loves me, and I loved him once. But in the face of all his lies, I’m not sure if I can—or should—love him again.
With Octavian closing in, taking more and more of the archangels and archdemons for some mysterious purpose, I may never get the chance to decide how I feel.
I may not make it through this at all.
My Thoughts 💭:
😱 Holy Schnickeys!!!
Took her long enough!
I'm not a violent person by nature but I really really wanted to grab Veil and introduce her head to a solid object on multiple occasions
Wait ✋ there is hope for her yet!
So Michael was the last image we saw in book one and he opens this episode with an "Oh he 'll no you didn't!" that will have you reeling.
This was a complicated story with a lot of clues sprinkled about.
As the pieces fell into place I found myself enraptured by the interactions of the cast and the direction we were headed.
From "OMG 😲look out behind you" one page to "please no 😭" the next only to flip the page again and find my heart ❤ skipping a beat this episode kept me white knuckle clenching my kindle and fighting my inner child to not jump ahead.
This being a series we are naturally left poised on knifes razor-sharp edge trying to hang on to our sanity while tossing about all the possibilities that are ahead.
The last 35% gets pretty edgy - we get to meet the mastermind and🤐 ewwwww is all I can say about that, also the plot becomes a whole lot more twisted IMO!
If you enjoy your fantasy with a solid foundation, creative world building, a diverse cast and chocked full of suspense and action look no further
Amazon

Wicked Liars (Windsor Academy #1)Wicked Liars by Laura Lee
Description:
Liars.
Every last one of them.
The kings and queens of my new high school.
The father and stepmother I never knew.
Each has more wealth and privilege than I could've ever imagined.
Each has a pile of wicked dirty secrets they'd do anything to protect.
These people have grown accustomed to getting what they want and what they want is to make my life a living hell.
Too bad for them, you can't break someone who's already broken.
Too bad for them, I won't give up without a fight.
Too bad for them, I'm going to make them pay...even if it's the last thing I do.
My Thoughts 💭:
No Spoilers
This goes a touch beyond simple bully romance
There are so many skeletons hanging out in closets with this group
I swear not one of them is anywhere close to being honest with the other
Even "besties" are only looking out for themselves
Jazz has been reunited with her sperm donor ( her words) and is having a hard time adapting to the world of plastic women and Botox smiles
But she needs the clout and the education said sperm donor can provide her. So, for now, she will learn to navigate and conform
Kingston is on a mission of his own looking for vengeance and to make certain payment is rendered for crimes committed
But when Jazz becomes a liability for his crusade he finds he needs to alter his game plan
Should be easy since women can never separate their emotions - right?
Get close enough to make contact then go in for the kill.
Quick, simple
Oh you naive little man
With the cliffhanger this ended on I'm not sure who I believe at the moment
Heck I'm not even sure if I want to know who is behind all this
Be prepared to have your mind warped a touch -
To question which direction is up and which is down
It's so easy to like these characters
Fall for their smiles
Believe their kindness
Get trapped in the web of lies
Amazon

Deviant Evolution (The Controllers #4)Deviant Evolution by L.V. Lane
Description:
★ Part 2 of Lilly's story★
It's a lot to take in having two Controllers. And Lilly is far from settled in her new situation.
Ethan has returned, and her memories do not do justice to his indomitable presence.
Where Ryker coaxed, cajoled, and played mind-games to gain her compliance, Ethan is savage and utterly uncompromising.
Three dynamics, three very different people, and one virus that changed them all.
A virus that is still changing them due to the nature of Lilly's unique Omega gift.
Publisher's Note: The Controllers is an action-packed, dark romance series with a unique take on the MFM Omegaverse genre.
My Thoughts 💭:
Can Lilly find salvation?
Or is everything she's known truly gone?
Lilly has been saved ( I guess that's what we are calling it 😳)
Ethan is not a happy controller - No one plays with his toys and to go as far as to scare or harm her -
Blind rage is his only response
Now on to claim what is his
Something with Tsing is really off here - Ethan knows he is a danger to his omega and he needs to figure out why and he needs to do it quickly
We met Ryker in the last book - such a twisted Alpha - can't help but love him he makes an appearance here and we get the deets on why our little omega has two controllers
We also get a bit of the why that was behind her pops making the decisions he did
The back and forth between these two alphas was entertaining, to say the least. Props for everyone not just slipping into a slot and calling it a day.
Ryker's lack of self-preservation and his need to manipulate others on a purely emotional level just adds to the dominance games between these two. Ethan, in my opinion, is definitely the more dominant and he is not one to share his toys - at all. I do admit though despite his more battle-hardened aura Ethan's concern for Lilly goes far beyond just the chemically induced physical responses.
If you take the dominance battle between our Alphas (not that there is really one but Ryker likes to play he has a chance) add-in Lilly's battle with her omega dynamics and don't forget Tsing's hidden agenda and you have a recipe for disaster that is boiling over
This is one of my top series in this genre
It has a strong series plot that easily carries from episode to episode
dotted with multiple smaller plot lines that run concurrently -
Then add the couple or in this case triple who are staring in that episode and you have an engaging and entertaining read every single time
I am still curious about Lilly's blood ...
Amazon

Layla (Carnal Pleasures Book 2)Layla by Summer Stanton
Description:
Thomas Harrow is new to Carnal Pleasures. Though an accomplished Dominant, not everyone is impressed with him at first sight. In an effort to prove that he belongs, he sets up a public demonstration that has a disastrous end.
Layla Marks is a dreamer who works behind the scenes at the club. Night after night she watches the playing, secretly longing to be apart of the lifestyle.
The pair couldn't be more different: Thomas is demanding with little patience for Layla's naiveté. With a rocky start already between them, they enter into a tentative D/s relationship, hoping that the other can be what they need.
But Thomas is not the only one who covets the shy beauty, and Layla soon finds herself caught in a deadly game of cat and mouse.
My Thoughts 💭:
No spoilers
I'm not sure how I feel about that but in a lot of ways, it makes sense.
Layla is still so young and she's curious about the lifestyle but she lacks self-appreciation. She has goals and she is book smart but her life smarts are for ch it! I am hoping as the series moves forward she evolves with it. She grew a lot in this episode alone. She found she didn't have to hide every time she was confronted. She found she could fight.
Thomas is an arrogant old arse who needs to spend some time in self-reflection - Sooooo wanted to crisp his arse on several occasions! I had a hard time with his character. He just plowed through everything without taking the time to properly step back and analyze. For an old man, he should have had better life skills. I will admit that I gave him a bit of a pass just because of what he was... one of my favorite species *sigh*.
Thomas came on the scene like a bulldozer he felt he had to prove something and in a way, he did but seriously? The whole mix up was his fault if he was this great big bad dom he should have seen the clues sooner. He also should have had a lot more patience. Yes, he makes a valid point to Layla that he was trapped in his choices as much as she was trapped on the receiving end. But still, there were kinder more patient ways to go about getting the same results.
As for our dangerous tiger - how could you lose him?
This has a HEA -
It's not your standard but it felt right for this situation, actually it was the only option for these two.
There are some loose ends but I think they will be tied up in future episodes.
I am excited to see who will bring Thomas to his knees and to watch Layla grow.
One of the things I enjoy about this series is the connection between the cast.
Amazon


#romcom #darkfantasy #horror #highschoolbully #newadult #darkomegaverse #darkromance #urbanfantasy #paranormal #kindleunlimited #bookreview #bookrecommendation

#KirstyMoseley #SarahRobinson #KathrynAnnKingsley #LauraLee
#LVLane #SummerStanton

Comments