Skip to main content

Our Book Thoughts 💭 Reviews and Recommendations June 14th



💖 THIS WEEKS SPOTLIGHT READS 💖
📚 06/14/20 📚

🥰  Rock Bottom by Emily Goodwin
💎 Mirage by C.M. Radcliff
🔥  Bound by Eva Charles
🧝  Cursed Prince by C.N. Crawford
🐲  Stealing Hope by Beverly Ovalle
🏍️  Ruthless Sentinel by Lynn Burke


Looking for that perfect read?




Rock Bottom (Dawson Family, #6)Rock Bottom by Emily Goodwin
Description:
Rory’s life is a mess. After getting dumped by her boyfriend, let go from her job, and losing her apartment, she takes a chance on a new job in a new town. Things can’t get any worse, right?
Wrong.
When the foundation of Dean Dawson’s life crumbles to pieces at his feet, he swears off relationships of any kind and goes back to a life of bachelorhood, loving and leaving different women every night.
After dodging what could possibly be the world’s worst blind date, Rory finds herself face to face with Dean—a temptation she knows she should avoid. It’s just one night, and there’s no harm in having a little fun.
Wrong again.
They say when you hit rock bottom the only way to go is up, but nothing is ever that simple.
My Thoughts 💭:
Laughter - Tears - Love
This has it all and a bit more!
And after you ride the wave of feels you are brought gently to rest at the sweetest of HEA's
Let me start with Rory -
If life gave out lemons our poor Rory would be the only one without a knife - What do I mean?
Her world is one mishap after another - quite literally
After the final trio of blows, Rory gets the opportunity to reinvent herself.
Wait before you get excited go back to the lemons -
Yes, she manages to muck it up in the most splendid of fashions.
I have to say I absolutely adore her
Dean ... Grumpy Grumbler Dean
The world seems to have decided (actually it was Dean but he is blaming the universe so that is what we are going with) that he is not to get his white picket fence and 2.5 children.
Oh and no dog though cats seem to be plentiful but I am rambling ...
After his divorce, he opts for the life model of one and done
No awkward morning afters
No heartbreak
Just no
That is until a fiery little gal ignites his curiosity.
She fits him
The calm to his storm
Now he finds he can't forget her but he can't forget his past either
These two are just a cornucopia of oops and almosts that together IMO make them one of this year's top romantic duos
A wonderful story that has all the feels.
All the heartache and all the happy moments that I look for in a five-star read.
#rockbottom #NewAdult #RomanticComedy #EmilyGoodwin
Amazon  Kobo  Nook

MirageMirage by C.M. Radcliff
Description:
Painted in gold, Jaslyn was born into a life of luxury with the world at her feet.
After the death of her father, his empire became hers and the princess became a queen.
Her fortune was sought after and deception and deceit had a ring around her finger.
But with the ring, came the accessories that money can’t buy.
At the hands of the new king, the empire began to crumble as Jaslyn’s world spiraled out of control.
Through the bars of her prison, she watched life pass her by.
Hope was fading quickly… until she met him.
Axel was the glimmer that she needed to survive.
From the wrong side of the tracks, Axel’s life was never easy.
He worked his way through the blood and sweat and went from rags to riches
When you’re on top of the world, one mistake is all it takes to lose it all.
And getting back up is always harder than the fall.
Getting his life back came with an offer he couldn’t refuse and he would pay the cost.
Jaslyn wasn’t part of the deal, but she was a temptation that he couldn’t escape.
She was his endgame and he would fight to the death to get to that finish line.
Together, they roll the dice and risk it all for love.
But when you gamble in the game of life or death, you pay a price.
And sometimes, that price could cost you everything.
My Thoughts 💭:
My stomach is in knots!
It took me a bit to place each of the cast in their respective roles.
Jasper would be the nausea-inducing sultan
Rush is the ever lovable, I want him as a best bud, not so stable genie
Alex our viciously sweet and ruthless main man would be Aladdin
And lastly would be Jaslyn... self-explanatory
I have to say this story kept me on edge from the opening scene right to the cliff-hanging end and yes this ends quite painfully.
The story itself is intense and fast-paced.
There is no breathing room in-between moments.
So buckle up buttercup!
There are some areas that tease at the character's pasts, enough for me to accept certain behaviors for the moment but I would have liked more. I hope the answers to some of my questions will be in the next episode.
My feelings toward Jaslyn are touch and go. Her character confused me at times. She is strong-willed but something made her at times seem IDK...
There seems to be a lot more to the whole sordid affair than what lies on the surface
It takes a bit to see beyond the tarnished and tragic
This touches deeply on physical abuse - just know that going in if you find this a trigger you may want to skip this duet
For those who choose the journey -- see you on the other side
#mirage #darkretelling #adultfairytale #CMRadcliff
Amazon

Bound (The Devil's Due Book 3)Bound by Eva Charles
Description:
Smith Sinclair guards the gates to the darkest corners of Charleston, and I need access for a story.
Despite my best efforts, he stonewalls me at every turn, toying with me and making outrageous demands.
He's arrogant and unapologetic, and refuses to play fair. Yet I find his brazen confidence and scathing honesty irresistible. Staying away from him isn't an option. Not for me.
But Smith isn't the only danger lurking in the shadows. And as he distracts me with pleasure, each lead I chase drags me deeper into a sinister plot.
In the end, I'm bound to make a choice that could cost one of us everything.
While Bound can be read as a standalone, it is the third book in The Devil's Due series and is best enjoyed after reading Depraved and Delivered. Bound has no cliffhanger.
My Thoughts 💭:
Wait ✋for it - no spoilers
Holy scnickeys!
I wasn't sure what to expect from this story after reading the blurb and some of the reviews. Honestly, it was nothing like I thought it would be and a whole lot more than I hoped for.
I did come into this as a standalone - in other words, I didn't read the preceding books. Even without the background knowledge I had no problem following the timeline or connecting with the characters. I was left however wanting to know their stories
This was a slow build thriller.
The clues are sparse but when I look back I wonder how I missed them? You know what they say about hiding in plain sight.
I am a bit shocked 😲I didn't piece together the clues
Don't even get me started on the back and forth between Smith and Kate -
That is a slow burn 🔥 that scorches the pages when they both give in and drop their defenses
If you are looking for a solid suspense that flows and will keep you guessing look no further
Great story line - Terrific main characters and a strong supporting cast
#bound #billionaireromance #evacharles
Amazon 

Cursed Prince (Night Elves Trilogy)Cursed Prince by C.N. Crawford
Description:
My heart hasn't beat in a thousand years. I haven't uttered a word in prison, and the guards keep their distance. If they get too close, they die--until at last, my magic binds my soul to another.
Unfortunately, the person destined to save me is a Night Elf--the enemy of my kind. And yet, when I see her in the cell across from mine, an ember starts to burn in my chest. When we escape together down the palace walls, it’s almost like I can feel again.
As we journey to find the magic that will save us both, attraction simmers between us. But I keep my secrets close. Because if she finds out what I am, she will find a way to kill me--even if it means sacrificing herself to do it.
My Thoughts 💭:
This is my genre - Fantasy and adventure
I stumbled across this book in KU and I am hooked
Let me start with the world-building -
Crawford blended Norse mythology (primary) with a few other mythological creatures and beliefs creating a unique universe for this series.
In this first in series, we don't get a lot of details regarding Topside (?) more a rough imagery of that section of the world. We don't really spend a whole lot of time there though so that could be it 🤷
Now when we venture below?
I had no problem seeing the imagery as though I was there
The cast -
Marroc - I want to keep him! He was such an enigma constantly battling with what should be and what is - His current form caused by a curse left him a soulless cold-hearted entity until a certain little someone shook everything up.
Ali - little spitfire of an assassin. Her attitude, the way she processed the events (for lack of a better word) that kept upending her quest - She is my heroine. Quick to process and takes the initiative. She was calculating and fearless but at the same time she has a softer side - I truly am excited to see how she deals with the truths she revealed during this first episode.
These two are polar opposites and just like their magnetic counterparts there is a lot of push and pull between them.
Cursed Prince is a solid start for the series with a compelling story line that kept me engaged and entertained from the opening scene to the closing. I enjoyed the easy connection I found with the characters and the way I was able to get lost in their story.
I did wish there was a bit more background when it came to the 'topside' and supporting cast there. Though honestly a lot was revealed as the story progressed and some of it was some pretty big OMG revelations.
Many of the events and characters introduced both 'topside' and in Hel were more introductions and foundation builders - IMO
I know I can't have it all at once - I can't help that I am a bit greedy when it comes to books I enjoy
I am not sure when the next in series comes out - I went to grab book two as soon as I had finished this and was unable to locate any information.
Soon I hope
#cursedprince #fantasy #romanticfantasy #cncrawford
Amazon

Stealing Hope (a Dragon's Fated Heart Book 1)Stealing Hope by Beverly Ovalle
Description:
The apocalypse has come and gone.
Those who survived learned to adapt.
Dragons awaken to once again reign over the skies.
Upon eruption of a volcano, Ari awakens to a changed world, and a knowing that his dragon's mate is near. He saves her twice—once as a dragon, and again as a man—and wins her confidence.
Hope cried out, moaning, “just change me with pleasure?”
Hope is restless and unfulfilled until she meets Ari, the man of her fantasies. The sensual tension between them heightens with every touch. When their passion explodes, Hope gets pulled into the dragon's mating ritual...and into a world of erotic sensation she never dreamed existed but now cannot live without. The dragon binds his mate to him with a ritual that shows Hope her true nature in this humorous erotic romance.
My Thoughts 💭:
I almost didn't finish this 😲
I know but hear me out, please.
I was enjoying the characters and I knew this was an Insta 💘love romance with lots and lots of loving ... (its erotic romance folks)
I can't tell you if it was me, a book slump or 🤷 -
I just couldn't get passed how quickly everything happened in the beginning and some of the scenes just weren't clicking for me.
I set it aside -
Picked it up a couple of days later
And couldn't put it down 🤓
Hope needs her backside tanned something fierce
How that girl survived to adulthood I'll never know
Ari, well he is learning
I truly appreciated the way the dragons viewed the worth of their mates and the feeling of IDK family? that they offered
As the story progressed I found myself laughing at the brothers' antics and enjoying the building relationship between Ari and Hope as well as hope and the brothers. Despite what was required to "turn" her there was no disrespect to her character.
There is a running back story that provides some twists and suspense for future episodes
#stealinghope #fantasy #paranormalromance #dragons #beverlyovalle
Amazon  Kobo  Nook

Ruthless Sentinel (Vicious Vipers MC, #2)Ruthless Sentinel by Lynn Burke
Description:
An MC enforcer determined to protect her. A bullied woman practiced at hiding her pain. Their connection threatens to consume, destroy … or heal.
Working security for my MC brother, I’m tasked with protecting a crooked judge who targets his willful daughter with emotional abuse.
She’s beautiful. She’s confident and has a backbone of steel, but I recognize the pain in her eyes.
She distracts me from my job, and echoes of Pop’s taunts of my being a failure fester in my head.
But I will prove him wrong.
I will withstand our connection, the relentless pull between us.
I will protect her family—her—from the unknown enemy, even if it costs me my soul.
My Thoughts 💭:
Stone has been assigned to guard Judge Burtonelli and his family after he received a death threat demanding he back out of the governor's race. Burtonelli is grating on Stone's last nerve but his youngest daughter? She sets his blood to boil.
Giada never could quite perfect the role of the dutiful daughter, not even close. Trapped for the foreseeable future in her childhood he ll she looks for something or someone to pass the time with.
Hey, a girl got needs!
I'm going to start with Stone... only cause yeah that man is whipped 🤣 I think he lost the battle of duty before - well let's just say Giada was very convincing.
Speaking of... she had me wanting to knock her out a couple of times. For a woman who stood up to her sperm donor with such strength, her occasional poor me pity parties and whiny decisions were a joke.
The story was easy to follow with plenty of heat.
Engaging and fast-paced from the opening scene to the HEA.
The characters are well-written making connecting with them on a personal level easy (probably why Giada's behavior irked me so much).
The diverse personalities in this series is one of its draws for me.
This is easily read as a standalone but does include interconnecting cast members and draws from scenes that occurred in previous releases.
#ruthlesssentinel #viciousvipersmc #mcromance #lynnburke
Amazon  Kobo  Nook

Comments