Skip to main content

Our Book Thoughts and Recommendations 💖 Week of June 20th

 


📚 Our Book Recommendations & Thoughts  


❤️ False Start by Casey Hagen

⚖️ First, We Kill All the Lawyers by Seelie Kay

🚔 Balls to the Wall by April Canavan

🩺 By Mistake by Sigal Ehrlich

🖤 King of Beasts by Diana A. Hicks

📺 Love or Lust by Rachael Brownell


See all of our reviews and recommendations


Amazon  BookBub  Goodreads 



False Start (Beautifully Brutal, #1)False Start by Casey Hagen
Description:
There’s nothing I can’t do on skates…
One night home and I’m obsessed.
She’s the most compelling woman I’ve ever seen, and I can’t take my eyes off her.
I watch her fight, battling head to head for everything she believes in.
And when the odds turn against her, I’m the unlikely key to her salvation.
Getting too close could cost me everything.
But there’s no chance in hell I’ll stay away.
Maisy Flynn is mine, even if neither one of us wants it.
Our Thoughts 💭:
I wasn't sure how this was going to play out for me-
I'm not much of a derby fan was worried I would feel disconnected
But for this journey?
It was the perfect sport
Emotional
Real
Raw
The slow build between Mayhem and Priest?
It was paced perfectly
The tension between Tilly and Maisey?
It brought an important element to the overall story
Lana and the truth of her past?
It just endeared certain characters to me that much more
Eve and her jealousy?
I look forward to her story
Micha... that's a little secret you will have to find out on your own.
Not only will the main characters attach themselves to you but I believe you will be just as enamored with the supporting cast
I laughed -
I wiped away a couple of tears -
and I fell in love
Maisey had a rough start - a sort of reoccurring transplant history when it came to her childhood.
Nothing was ever permanent in her life.
She learned that the hard way and at a very young age.
Only two things take up residence in her world now
Derby and the children she volunteers with
There is no room for anything else in her life
Cain is bathing in a vat of self-loathing -
One of his own making and an intricate part of the story
He has been for years.
He was only back in town to help his sister -
Quick stop -
In and out -
No connections -
No...
Ahhh hades!
The best-laid plans just got knocked away
Looks like life found a way to give them both what they needed even if they didn't know they wanted it
#falsestart #beautifullybrutal #rollerderby #sports #romance #caseyhaen
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google  Apple

First, We Kill All the LawyersFirst, We Kill All the Lawyers by Seelie Kay
Description:
Someone is killing lawyers, but a particular vampire lawyer won’t stay dead.
Donovan Trait is a marked man. Flamboyant, stunningly handsome, and notoriously insatiable, his attitude and style belie his skills in the courtroom. No one survives a cross-examination at Donovan’s hands. His knowledge of the law and trial practice has accumulated over the years… and years, of experience. More than three hundred years. You see, when Donovan isn’t seducing judges and juries, he’s a creature of the night. And now that someone has decided that it’s time to kill all lawyers, his lust for attention has set him in the murderer’s sights. The problem is, vampires don’t die. Not easily, anyway. That’s good news for Donovan, not so much for his very human lady love, also a target of the serial killer. Will several unsuccessful attempts on his life expose Donovan’s true nature? Will the killer learn the secret that will guarantee a permanent death? Or will Donovan finally manage to put an end to the killer’s murderous spree and live happily ever after, with his lady love?
Our Thoughts 💭:
I am hooked!
Mystery ✔️
Suspense ✔️
Comedy ✔️
Snarky Characters ✔️
Romance ✔️
Vamps, Weres, and Humans ✔️✔️
An absolutely entertaining read with a bit of a cozy mystery feels to it.
Donovan, a very old and very handsome vamp, is targeted for death -Normally he would laugh off such an absurd threat
(*note* The author came up with such a creative way to ensure the death of a vamp first time I recall this method)
but after a few failed attempts, it does get a bit tiring.
So what to do?
Why fake it till you capture it
The only problem there is other attorneys are dying
And the woman he loves, who is human, is also a target
Can our band of mismatched heroes thwart out who-done-it before it's too late?
The cast for this series is quite colorful and extremely loveable -
from the weres to the humans I found myself quickly loving or loathing them.
The storyline was easy to follow and definitely kept me on my toes. It had a smooth 'ebb and flow' feel to it. Along with the main storyline, there are a few smaller stories that are also unveiling in the background.
Our protagonist was a bit unhinged but in some ways, I can't blame her - her other half was yuck! (a story within the story)
The romance(s) side of this tale falls into so many categories - from smexy as heck to sickly sweet even a budding one that is a bit comedic.
If you enjoy a touch of the eccentric doused in a bit of mystery sprinkled with the paranormal all shrouded in an urban setting
Then I highly recommend
Added to my must-read series list
#firstwekillallthelawyers #donovantrait #paranormal #humorous #SeelieKay  
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google   Apple

Balls to the Wall (Birch Police Department, #1)Balls to the Wall by April Canavan
Description:
Parker
I can’t escape the past. I’m broken and damaged.
All I can do is keep moving forward.
What I don’t expect is one cop in particular to get under my skin.
Making me want something more. He hates me. Everywhere I turn, he’s there, watching me. Waiting for me to screw up. Again.
I’m not going to give up, though. Not when I finally found something that makes me happy. I know how short life can be and I’m not backing down.
Remy
One drunken promise is going to ruin my life.
I told him I’d watch out for his wife if he died.
Coming home and seeing her will be my undoing.
She’s everywhere I go.
Everywhere I turn.
The thoughts going through my head …
Well, they’re enough to send me straight to hell.
Parker Hayes invades every aspect of my life.
One drunken promise… That’s what it circles back to.
I’ve been trained to go balls to the wall with every mission.
Never back down. Never surrender. Never walk away.
I’ll never let her become collateral damage.
Our Thoughts 💭:
Dang!
I have no words to adequately describe the beautifully emotional journey this was
One of the best romances I have read this year
The relationship between Parker and Remy wasn't the back and forth should I shouldn't I game -
They knew they were destined for each other they just needed to empty their closets of all those pesky skeletons that stood between them once and for all.
Sometimes the hardest thing we will ever have to do is face our own lies
I really enjoyed how even when they came to the point of acceptance the author kept us on the edge of our seats with scenarios that were engaging and believable. The whole story from cover to cover is tangible. The cast is so easy to fall in love with. Even the antagonists made an impact - speaking of what happened to "nurse ratchet" and why was she such a bleep?
I felt for Parker she stood her ground even when the truth(s) would have provided some ease for her
And Remy - your typical stubborn male thinking he knows what is best
And Nox - little dude you are the man!
If you are on the fence about this one I can say with all certainty
Hop on over the grass is greener over here!
#ballstothewall #birchpolicedepartment #military #romance #aprilcanavan
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google  Apple

By Mistake (Poison & Wine, #1)By Mistake by Sigal Ehrlich
Description:
You've Got Mail meets Grey's Anatomy in this sweet slow-burn, virtual meet-cute romance.
There’s so much going on in Anna’s life. Teaching countless hours at the studio and nurturing the three major relationships of her life – her group of tight-knit friends, all while attempting to not screw up this whole adulthood thing leaves very little time to waste on yet another dating app. At this point, a relationship is off the menu. Being “self-partnered” is more than enough.
A serious relationship has been crossed off Liam Brody’s list of goals, at least for the foreseeable future. Completing his residency and becoming a trauma surgeon is his only priority. Casual relationships, his friends, and books are the only things he’s willing to lose his precious free time to.
When an accidental email starts a deep online connection, both Liam and Anna dive in with zero concern . . . because there’s really no harm in getting close to someone who you’ll never meet in real life, right?
Wrong.
When a turn of events brings their “safe” virtual connection to an unexpected face-to-face, Anna and Liam learn their online chemistry pales in comparison to the real deal. A realization that brings along the bazillion-dollar question – what do you do when you meet The One at the most impossibly wrong time?
Our Thoughts 💭:
"I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light. "
I'm not even sure how to put into words all the feels this brought on. I felt like I was hanging out with my besties. Laughing at the little things, celebrating the accomplishments, sharing the Ben-n-Jerry's when the troops needed to be rallied.
I truly laughed out loud, heckled, and occasionally lost a tear or two
This is a must-read if like me you enjoy the full journey
The tentative goodnights
The funny oops moments
The sickly sweet gestures
The energy and chaos it takes to make a relationship
"It's not a walk of shame if you run"
Anna is a ray of sunshine - I can not think of a better description for her. She is in the process of obtaining, hopefully, fingers crossed, the studio she works at. Her life is busy but she finds the time to step back and breathe - life is all about balance after all.
Liam is the dream package. Romantic. A gentleman. Caring, honest, giving, smexy....
Unattainable
Liam is burning the candle at both ends.
He has a plan and with his current schedule, he does not have the time he feels a partner deserves.
But when he accidentally sends an email to Anna he finds something he didn't know he was missing
If you enjoy down-to-earth characters,
slow build romances that burn with an underlying passion.
Relatable problems. Strong bonds with family and friends.
Laughter, light angst, romance ...
The whole darn kitchen sink!
Don't pass this up
#bymistake #poisonwine #romanticcomedy #SigalEhrlich
Amazon  Kobo  Nook  Google  Apple

King of BeastsKing of Beasts by Diana A. Hicks
Description:
From award-winning author Diana A. Hicks comes a dark mafia romance full of angst and heart.
Rex Valentino is my enemy.
He has the power to wave a hand and make all my family problems go away.
But his all his favors always come at a price.
In return, he only requires one thing...my complete surrender.
Our Thoughts 💭:
Someone's in trouble! And no it is not who you'd think!
This starts out by dumping the reader into the middle of a mafia mess!
Rex is the head of the families and right now he is swimming against the current and fatiguing quickly
Someone is taking out the families and he must find a way to unite them to protect them
Always easier said than done
However, he may have an ace up his sleeve
Caterina
The only problem she absolutely loathes Rex
Thank goodness he has a plan for that as well
Caterina wants nothing to do with the "family" business
But it seems she may not have a choice.
After her mother passed a few years ago her father slowly has sunk into depression - Gambling and drinking - A once proud man now nothing but an emotional shell of himself.
And it seems he got himself into a bit of trouble - or did he?
The claws on Caterina were hilarious - She is a strong character in her own right but watching her battle with not only her inner self but with Rex was at times quite amusing.
I think Rex egged her on because he also thought it was adorable.
Don't get it twisted she can hold her own but I think she has a secret crush on her nemesis.
The rope work in this book was written with such intricate care - the scenes were beautiful
I don't think I would label this as dark per se but then again there are elements of blood and violence along with the rope work which does have a sexual undertone
And wait for the betrayals and twists and ...
I was a bit upset at Caterina's response to certain situations
And a few things were a bit far fetched but the chemistry and story between these two held me and left me wanting more
#kingofbeasts #beastduet #dark  #gothic #mafia #romance #dianaahicks
Amazon

Love or Lust (LOL Series Part 2)Love or Lust by Rachael Brownell
Description:
With the world watching, and hearts on the line, who will win at the game of love?
Two down... ten to go.
In a shrinking group of gorgeous men and stunning women, who will be voted off next?
The cameras miss nothing. Every friendship made, every rivalry formed, every dalliance between the sheets; the entire world watches with vested interest. At the end of each week, two people are sent home. In order to stay in the competition as long as possible, contestants are willing to do whatever it takes... including turning on one another.
Can genuine love be found in the reality show bubble? Or are the relationships being formed doomed to fail? Follow from breakup to hookup and see if the final prize will be love... or lust?
Our Thoughts 💭:
Omg 😲
So many secrets
So much backstabbing
The guys are all worthy IMO
We get to see a different side of each of them in this episode
The realities they are running from - What they really want out of the show
And...
Jace has a secret 😳
Lennon may have to leave by default
Courtney and Teegan are bringing out the big guns
Bella, I'm not sure about our little wallflower
And Presley?
She needs to make a choice but how does she know it is the right one?
This episode was emotionally intense - I am so connected to the cast. I read this episode cover to cover in one sitting -
I swear each turn of the page brought a new twist-
Exposed a deeper truth
Brought more depth to the characters
I think I have an idea of where this is going and how it is going to play out
But I'm not 100% positive
I need the final episode
#loveorlust #trilogy #newadult #romance #RachaelBrownell

FB:
Twitter:
Instagram:

Comments